Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally I am very against movie piracy. But I might turn a blind eye in this case.

I am too but in this case it's not like Lucas is losing my $ I have multiple versions on DVD, VHS and soon BluRay.

It's not about making a statement to Lucasfilm or "voting with my wallet", actually. Of course a lost sale here and there isn't going to phase him at all at this point.

It's not even "the principle of the matter". It's actually much simpler: I just don't care anymore. And I also refuse to be an unwitting enabler.

Right now, I can honestly say I wouldn't walk across the street to pick up this Blu-ray set for free. And it's not even just about the Blu-rays or the goofy changes and all that. It's a culmination of everything and the oversaturation of SW in general. I'm just burned out now. I'm done.

Yeah, at the end of the day this set will still likely be a rousing financial success; especially given that they do not have appeared to actually have corrected many of the issues they needed to :lol

But, I don't need them in my collection or need to continue worrying about how Lucas will next ____ up my favorite movie series.

Yeah, they are a pretty funny read. It would be interesting if Lucas ever did directly respond to fans frustrations. But I'm guessing this like all the other previous changes will just continue to be crammed down people's throats.

It just blows my mind that one person could be so set on destroying his own creation like this :huh

I'm honestly thinking about cancelling this set now too. I was watching Adywan's ANH last night and I forgot all of the little mistakes he fixed like jump cuts and R5-D4 being removed from the droid line-up when he's supposed to be 30 feet away. I'm not sure if I can go back to Lucas' screwed up version of the film after becoming used to REAL fixes.

You guys are really making me reconsider about buying the full saga. :lol

I'm done with "Special" Editions of the OT but I like the PT and I really, really want those deleted scenes saved to scratch resistant blu-ray.

Mon Calamari B-Wing pilot = epic win. :rock

I bet they do re-release the original cuts on Blu Ray, just without any remastering similar to the way they did it on DVD. That really would be a masterful business move to release this garbage now, then wait a few years and re-release the same thing, but add the "bonus" disc with the original films the same way they did before. Because probably half those who bought this will "double up," and those of us who passed will end up buying as well. Crafty, crafty Lucas.

TBH, as much as I like bonus features I tend to watch them once at best. I'll likely be able to live w/o owning these and I'm sure all of them will be posted online for my viewing enjoyment.

Right now, I can honestly say I wouldn't walk across the street to pick up this Blu-ray set for free. And it's not even just about the Blu-rays or the goofy changes and all that. It's a culmination of everything and the oversaturation of SW in general. I'm just burned out now. I'm done.

Totally with you there - it's just too much. It's been too much for some time now, too.

I bet they do re-release the original cuts on Blu Ray, just without any remastering similar to the way they did it on DVD. That really would be a masterful business move to release this garbage now, then wait a few years and re-release the same thing, but add the "bonus" disc with the original films the same way they did before. Because probably half those who bought this will "double up," and those of us who passed will end up buying as well. Crafty, crafty Lucas.

This is likely, I think. But without the remastering, what's the point of buying? Would it be 1080p if that was the case?

Totally with you there - it's just too much. It's been too much for some time now, too.

This is likely, I think. But without the remastering, what's the point of buying? Would it be 1080p if that was the case?

The remastering would be stuff like getting rid of dirt and noise that shouldn't be there (beyond the film quality, think what the new deleted scenes look like) Getting rid of camera jitter, fixing colors, fixing the audio to make sure it's clear and things like that.

I think the money I planned to spend on this will now go towards Season 3 of the origin Star Trek on BluRay. Which is a great example of how to update a series; yet still allow fans the choice of what they prefer to watch :lecture

you know I have to be honest...

these new changes aren't bad to me at all. I actually really like the new Vader nooooo! It gives the scene a sense that he is not only finally realizing he cares for Luke but that he's also throwing off the chains of slavery that have shackled him for so long. Just my opinion and how I feel the scene.

The only changes to this day that make me shudder are where Luke and Ben are traveling into Mos Eisley and you see two robots having a disagreement, (totally redundant scene) and the part where Han walks over Jabbas tail in the Hangar. I feel they could have handled this walk around so much better with a cut to Close up of Chewbacca or something. However, it won't stop me buying the box set, looking forward to it.

I don't feel it makes me an idiot to want these, some people here are very anti-Lucas, it's like he actually owes you something. If you don't want the set... move along.

D:ted:ted:ted:ted:r2d2line

I actually really like the new Vader nooooo! It gives the scene a sense that he is not only finally realizing he cares for Luke but that he's also throwing off the chains of slavery that have shackled him for so long.

:slap The scene already played that way. The "Noooooooo!" not only sounds dumb and removes the emotional resonance the scene had, it's absolutely redundant & unnecessary. That's the main reason why almost everyone hates it.

The only changes to this day that make me shudder are where Luke and Ben are traveling into Mos Eisley and you see two robots having a disagreement, (totally redundant scene)

The Mos Eisley robots are redundant but Vader's "Noooooooo!" is not?? It's a prime example of redudant, actually. Did you really need that addition to sense Vader's emotional turn??? Wow.

You must have the same sensibilities as Lucas. Absolutely no tolerance for anything even remotely sublime, I guess.

Next they will add a digital version of Hayden when Luke takes off Vaders mask. :rotfl:slap

Or better yet, change the tupperware containers (when Luke is talking about going to the academy) into fine china. :rock

Last edited:
I've been wondering, do Star Trek fans hate the new version with the CG effects?

I can't speak for others, but when I initially heard about them I was annoyed. Later though I found out that the BluRay's allow you to toggle back and forth between the original FX shots or the new ones. Since I have a choice I have no issues with the changes and honestly they did a great job of being faithful to the original look of the show so when I watched the series I tended to view the updated versions.

No added Dugs or weird screams here :lol

:slap The scene already played that way. The "Noooooooo!" not only sounds dumb and removes the emotional resonance the scene had, it's absolutely redundant & unnecessary. That's the main reason why almost everyone hates it.

The Mos Eisley robots are redundant but Vader's "Noooooooo!" is not?? It's a prime example of redudant, actually. Did you really need that addition to sense Vader's emotional turn??? Wow.

You must have the same sensibilities as Lucas. Absolutely no tolerance for anything even remotely sublime, I guess.

To judge Lucas and his sensibilities is one thing, but please don't deem to judge me over this. As I said, that's how I read the scene, to me it adds to it, to you it may detract. To hear Vader say 'No' is incredibly powerful. 'No' is a potent word depending on it's context. Here, it is uplifting, it's like a hammer smashing shackles......to me.

When all is said and done, isn't that what makes this world beautiful, different beliefs, opinions and tolerance? This is a movie, it's entertainment. When the Grim Reaper comes calling many, many years from now and your life is flashing before you, will Star Wars be on your mind?

Anger Vs Perspective - Just say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The only changes to this day that make me shudder are where Luke and Ben are traveling into Mos Eisley and you see two robots having a disagreement...

I have to admit, I didn't like this either. By far not the worst change, but it was unnecessary, stupid slapstick.

I don't mind things like Ewoks blinking, but a lot of changes are way too obvious and "in your face", and they ruin the flow of the film, imo. Things like this, the huge creatures walking around in Mos Eisley, Jedi Rocks, etc - they feel so tacked on, not subtle at all. It's like the film has to come to a complete stop, and then this is thrown at the audience out of nowhere...

These aren't on the level of Greedo shooting first, Vader's "nooooooo" or Hayden's ghost, as they don't drastically alter the characters themselves, but they're still very jarring.

I just had a thought... I wonder if Lucas, in all his wisdom, will one day want to change C-3PO's voice to sound like "Brooklyn used car salesman" he wanted originally? Seems like the kind of bad idea his current entourage wouldn't have discouraged... :dunno

I can't speak for others, but when I initially heard about them I was annoyed. Later though I found out that the BluRay's allow you to toggle back and forth between the original FX shots or the new ones. Since I have a choice I have no issues with the changes and honestly they did a great job of being faithful to the original look of the show so when I watched the series I tended to view the updated versions.

No added Dugs or weird screams here :lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Back