Original unaltered Star Wars Trilogy to appear on blu ray after all?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a dvd of the original that was made from the laserdisc. Came with the original commercials too, still fun to look at.

I don't like the idea of everyone having "their own" version of SW even if it's somewhat inevitable with all the various editions that have already been created. And not because I just don't want other people to have what they want but if there are 64 different scene changes/alterations throughout the trilogy and they give us a blu-ray with a "create your own SW movie" feature then what point of reference will anyone have when discussing the films? Or watching them with a friend or during a theatrical re-release.

I like the idea of Star Wars being Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back just being The Empire Strikes Back and so forth. Picking and choosing your own Frankenstein version of the movie would make the whole thing a weird choose your own adventure story instead of experiencing a common cultural/historical touchstone. Spielberg finally figured it out. One E.T. and that's it. I don't mind movies that have theatrical and extended editions but I don't think we ever need to get more than that.

I don't like the idea of everyone having "their own" version of SW even if it's somewhat inevitable with all the various editions that have already been created. And not because I just don't want other people to have what they want but if there are 64 different scene changes/alterations throughout the trilogy and they give us a blu-ray with a "create your own SW movie" feature then what point of reference will anyone have when discussing the films? Or watching them with a friend or during a theatrical re-release.

I like the idea of Star Wars being Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back just being The Empire Strikes Back and so forth. Picking and choosing your own Frankenstein version of the movie would make the whole thing a weird choose your own adventure story instead of experiencing a common cultural/historical touchstone. Spielberg finally figured it out. One E.T. and that's it. I don't mind movies that have theatrical and extended editions but I don't think we ever need to get more than that.

Only a sith deals in absolutes!

Fair points actually. :lol

..but this the age we live in. :monkey2

This explains a lot Khev. This explains a hell of a lot.

The universe is mind to command, to CONTROL!!!!!

tumblr_mapms62yDe1rut3y7o1_400.gif

Too late, the damage is done. There are at least four versions of the trilogy out there in the minds of fans. The original theatrical cuts, the '97 SEs, the updated '04 DVDs, and then the Blurays adding even more changes. Some of these things can't be unseen for better or worse. Like I said, I am perfectly fine just having the original cuts that I saw as a kid and grew up to love. When the SEs came out, I didn't hate them. I liked many of the changes to the effects but anything that changed the characters or the pacing of the film felt wrong to me. I was just happy to see them on the bigscreen for the first time since I wasn't born until after the original release of the films. When the SEs came out on VHS, I knew I didn't need to get any of them because I already owned Star Wars. Why would I need another copy with some changes? I did eventually get the ANH SE because I am a sucker for all things Tatooine and I actually do like many of the additions to Mos Eisely. But that was a gift and I alternated watching that version and the original theatrical cut version. Neither was the "definitive" one to me. By the time the DVDs came out and I saw ESB and RotJ again for the first time since '97, I hated nearly all the changes and then I realized George was tinkering with them once more. Boba Fett's voice change and Hayden's ghost are the only notable changes I remember because I watched that boxset a total of one time. I haven't seen the Blurays yet but know that they added the infamous Vader "NoooOOoOOOoOOO!" to what I consider my all-time favorite moment of the Star Wars saga and that is just plain wrong :monkey4

I hope the tinkering stops and that there are only four versions of Star Wars and no more are ever made. I hope all four versions are offered in one ultra deluxe package for die-hard fans and the ideal but completely unrealistic way to make everyone happy is to make your own cut. I don't think it'd be right to stop offering these other cuts of Star Wars newer fans first experienced and grew up loving as much as I personally hate watching them.

Too late, the damage is done. There are at least four versions of the trilogy out there in the minds of fans.

That doesn't matter. There are "two versions of E.T. in the minds of fans" as well but Spielberg axed any further release of the bastardized version. There's no reason the same couldn't be done for SW. It's not a battlefield I would die on, I can understand the mindset that says "just give everyone the option of having the version they want." I just think they should keep them all separate and not pretend they are the same movie. Have the original theatrical edition called "Star Wars," and the 1981 re-release called, "Star Wars: A New Hope," and the 97 SE called "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition," and so forth. And if some kid wants to reference one of the SE's force them to recite the full title of that specific and very temporary edition. :)

So if they want a "many whims of George Lucas" box set they can release them all together but ALL other references to SW (including any story developments in future Episodes) should be continuations of the original theatrical versions only and any public airings of the SW OT (on Spike TV or whatever) should always be the original versions and nothing else. If fans want their little "elseworlds" versions of Greedo shooting first or whatever they should just be niche special feature editions and not billed as the real thing.

Last edited:
No love for Adywan's Revisited work? Empire Revisited is shaping up to be pretty sweet. For another thread I suppose.

He made some impressive changes but I still felt like I wasn't really watching "Star Wars." I don't like the idea of fans inserting scenes/upgrades into theatrical films. You could do that for any movie. Hell, what's to stop people from doing that to books too, or comics. Retype "The Natural" but change the last chapter so that Roy Hobbs knocks out the lights at the end just like the movie instead of striking out. Or change all the art in Amazing Fantasy #15 to current day standards. I don't know. I just don't dig it.

He made some impressive changes but I still felt like I wasn't really watching "Star Wars." I don't like the idea of fans inserting scenes/upgrades into theatrical films. You could do that for any movie. Hell, what's to stop people from doing that to books too, or comics. Retype "The Natural" but change the last chapter so that Roy Hobbs knocks out the lights at the end just like the movie instead of striking out. Or change all the art in Amazing Fantasy #15 to current day standards. I don't know. I just don't dig it.
Agreed.

All the original cuts as they were originally intended - pre Lucasitis slowly seeping in & infecting the lot.

And the thing with ANY "special edition" that upgrades the visual effects, eventually the "new" effects look dated. Peter Jackson was once asked if he'd go back to TTT to redo Gollum and he said, "its tempting, but then how would I ever stop?" And he's right. The awful 2011 blu-ray versions of the SW films contain dated 1977 effects, dated 1997 CGI, dated 2004 CGI, and now dated 2011 CG! What's the point? We still have dated SW films with effects that don't hold up to today's standards. The 2004 CG Jabba looks like dog crap compared to Smaug. But if they change it now, it'll still be eclipsed by movies a few years from now.

There is NO avoiding dated visuals in fantasy movies like these. So embrace that fact and have it be PROPERLY dated. Dated to 1977, 1980, and 1983. The end.

And the thing with ANY "special edition" that upgrades the visual effects, eventually the "new" effects look dated. Peter Jackson was once asked if he'd go back to TTT to redo Gollum and he said, "its tempting, but then how would I ever stop?" And he's right. The awful 2011 blu-ray versions of the SW films contain dated 1977 effects, dated 1997 CGI, dated 2004 CGI, and now dated 2011 CG! What's the point? We still have dated SW films with effects that don't hold up to today's standards. The 2004 CG Jabba looks like dog crap compared to Smaug. But if they change it now, it'll still be eclipsed by movies a few years from now.

There is NO avoiding dated visuals in fantasy movies like these. So embrace that fact and have it be PROPERLY dated. Dated to 1977, 1980, and 1983. The end.
Yep.
Completely stupid.

SW is kind of unique too, in that if Lucas had his way - he'd put a new coat of paint on everything.

That's advanced neurosis right there. :lol

Too late, the damage is done. There are at least four versions of the trilogy out there in the minds of fans.

Of course most of those fans also agree that if push came to shove they'd just like the good ol' movies back they way they were (even if some of the changes are actually better, most of the larger changes are worse).

A film should be a time capsule of a moment in time. I agree with Peter Jackson: where would you stop in your pursuit of perfection?

The other argument: is Star Wars (ANH) improved for having the Jabba scene in it?

Back