Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I don't want to go through this entire thread but are the Harmy versions the true unlatered OT or did he make some changes here and there. I thought I remember seeing that he changed stuff around as well (or maybe that was a different version I saw.)

Ok, I don't want to go through this entire thread but are the Harmy versions the true unlatered OT or did he make some changes here and there. I thought I remember seeing that he changed stuff around as well (or maybe that was a different version I saw.)

Adywan is the one who made his own changes not Harmy.

However Harmy's versions are technically not the original theatrical versions 100%. They do utilize some of the cleaned up effects of the SE's (like removal of matte boxes and transparencies) but that's pretty much what 99% of us wanted the SE's to be all along anyway. No CGI or extra TIE fighters or anything.

As far as dialogue, original footage, Han shooting Greedo, etc., it is indeed the classic original edit of all three films. The original colors were restored as well.

However Harmy's versions are technically not the original theatrical versions 100%. They do utilize some of the cleaned up effects of the SE's (like removal of matte boxes and transparencies) but that's pretty much what 99% of us wanted the SE's to be all along anyway. No CGI or extra TIE fighters or anything..

Ok, those changes are fine. I just remember seeing some slightly re-editted and updated CGI versions and thought they were these ones but yeah I think now they must have been the Adywan ones.

just FYI, for those that don't know, Harmy is nearing completion on V2 of his Original Star Wars. From what I've seen so far, it looks to be spectacular!

After only having viewed the prequels so far, I finally got around to delving into the OT on Blu-Ray this past weekend...watched ANH and I have to confess that I wasn't really that bothered by any of the changes. Maybe because I have seen the SEs so many times now, who knows, but Obi-Wan's altered screams and R2's CGI rocks didn't really make a big impact on me. I mentioned Obi-Wan's scream to my 16 yr old and he was like "What? He always made that noise", he didn't even realize it had been changed. Of course, he hasn't seen the films as many times as I have, but it was the first movie he ever "watched", the night we brought him home from the hospital, and has probably seen it in the double digits by now. I actually kind of like the R2 thing, even as kid I remember thinking that wasn't much of a hiding spot for R2 and wondered why the Tuskens couldn't see him there...then I just figured either A) They didn't care about droids or B) They just hadn't gotten around to him yet. Other than that, I think it looked pretty nice over all and sounded great. HAven't watched the other two yet, but plan to soon.

After only having viewed the prequels so far, I finally got around to delving into the OT on Blu-Ray this past weekend...watched ANH and I have to confess that I wasn't really that bothered by any of the changes. Maybe because I have seen the SEs so many times now, who knows, but Obi-Wan's altered screams and R2's CGI rocks didn't really make a big impact on me.

This is something that I refuse to let Lucas do to me and the people I watch SW with. While I have seen the SEs numerous times, I always pointed out the changes and why they were bad and why the original had succeeded, I'm sure I drove my friends nuts, but I will not let Lucas win on this. He wants us to see the SEs over and over so we wash away our vision of what the true original was. I refuse to let him have that victory. What made SW great (and still does to this day IMO), is it's graininess, the matte-lines, the stop motion (which, to this day is still better that some CG effects) and all of the other oddities.

So far I've watched the Harmy versions of Jedi and ANH (in that order), and I must say, it was awesome to feel the nostalgia and to feel the way I did when I first saw these back in the theater in '77 - '83. I can't say that when I watch the SE's, which I haven't done since the early 2000's. They just don't feel the same.

I for one am anxiously awaiting Harmy's new versions! But what exactly is he doing with them? Using the Bluray transfers?

Harmy posted a new comparison video of Luke's saber training on the Falcon between his new version and the Blu Ray version.

https://rapidshare.com/files/4030290992/training_comparison_1080p.mp4

trainingcomparison1080p.jpg

I picked up the complete saga today, watched ESB and ROTS and some of the special features, kinda bummed that the making of featurette that was in the bonus disk on the previous DVD set isn't on this new set though.

The quality is great and the changes aren't big enough for me to really get upset about. (Besides Nooooooo!).

Back