Star Trek: TOS/TWOK/Into Darkness head sculpts and uniforms

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump! Just ordered resin(Alumilite slo-set 15).With a 15 minute working time,I should be able to cut down on the trapped air.Down side;it's listed as "tan"which may complicate dyeing.We shall see...PS

hey Wax I forgot to send you that fabric but I have it packed and will get it out later today.

ALSO: somebody ordered boots from me and I shorted them a set, please PM me my mind is going and I can't remember who it was.

Thank you sir,I shall keep an eye open for it.At this rate,I may actually be prepared to work on Uhura by the time I have my knew surgery(arthroscopic removal of loose cartilage).Hope you got things dried out...PS

Hey, Spenser! How are the repairs coming? Are you back in the uniform business yet?

Time for a bump;not much happening.My surgery went well,and I'm almost mobile enough to drag my sorry ass down to the studio and try the new resin.Still waiting on the package from Spenser;a friend of a friend who is a first rate seamstress has expressed interest in trying to do the uniform,so we'll see how that goes.My wife has suggested we make 3 Uhura figures;1 to keep,2 to sell as deluxe customs.An interesting thought...PS

I am glad your surgery went well.
Depending on the price and final look, I would love to have the deluxe Uhura...

I'll keep you(and everyone else)posted. In other news,the package has arrived;guess I have to start trying to get this project moving again(as well as myself)...PS

Did my first test shots with the new resin yesterday;came out pretty good,but they ain't kidding' when they call it "Slo-Cure".6 hours after pouring the casts were still soft.Haven't checked on them yet today;if they are still "squeezable" we may have a problem.on the plus side,there were very few bubbles,and I know how they got there.I need to be a little more gentle with the syringe,I guess.The color isn't tan;more of a weathered bone,so it'll be interesting to see how it'll dye...PS

Pix...

The new resin has some interesting qualities,most notably a tendency to resist the dye.I used what would be the normal amount on these,and both came out a bit light.Color experimentation will go on,as will trying to come up with a cheap pressure or vacuum pot...PS

Looking over the castings,I think I may have to re-mold Uhura. I'm noticing that there is a lot of variability in the facial width,which I think is due to the round mold"squashing"when I tape it.The round mold was an experiment anyway;guess it just wasn't a successful one(oh well)...PS

Time for a bump,I think.With finances starting to loosen up a bit, we have sent Uhura's body,fabric,uniform patterns and reference pix out to a new seamstress who thinks she can do something nice with them.This person has demonstrated considerable skill already;I'm mildly stoked.Of course,this means I have to get my lazy ass in gear and resolve my casting issues. Why do I do this to myself('cause it's fun?)...PS

'Rudder bump.Have talked with Laura the seamstress dad;we seem to be on the same page(or at least in the same chapter).Cautiously optimistic...PS

Time for a bump,and(for a change)this time it's not about Uhura. I've never been satisfied with Kirk's Soldier Story body;the "full motion"shoulders didn't look right under the snug tunic.After much browsing of the web and consultation with my available experts(my wife and Silent G)I have replaced it with a KOO models"short"body.The result is much better;the shoulders look human,not droid-ish.After a quick try-on,I have begun the required paint work;slapping a coat of black on the lower legs and a 2 coat custom mix on the neck and chest to match the head.Also hit on an interesting trick:I applied heavy blushing between coats,which shows thru the 2nd custom mix very subtly.Now I get to wait a week or 2 while it all cures.Pix eventually...PS

In the mean time...
This weeks bump brought to you by the Wax Murderer technology Upgrade Project....
Ebay has been nice to me this week;found(and purchased)a nice,reasonably priced Dental grade Pressure casting pot,so my casting quality standard should go up quite a bit once I get the bugs worked out.looking forward to playing with this new toy...
In other news,Kirk's paint has cured and he is back in uniform.Now I wait for my wife(a far better face-up artist than I)to re-do his face...PS

As promised,pix of Kirk on the KOO body...

First,a side-by-side of the 2 bodies;KOO(dark skin)on the left,Soldier story on right.While the SS actually has better overall bulk and proportions,I REALLY hate the shoulders...

The new body is very slightly taller,but not really enough to notice.It presents Kirk in top shape,as opposed to"mid-season"soft.Shatner would no doubt approve...PS

Realized that I haven't bumped this lately;don't want it to get too buried.What's happ'nin?Not much;pressure pot arrived,apparently missing a fitting.probably replaceable,but haven't gotten to it yet.Seamstress working on Uhura's uni is in the process of moving,so nothing there.My wife is recuperating from surgery, so she's only just getting back to custom work.The one Trek item that is proceeding is re-hulling my old Newitt System E powered model of the Enterprise,which is moving along nicely.30 year old circuit board,and I only had to replace a few LEDs ;guy did good work...PS

Back