Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard!

I’m still watching, but I’m having a very difficult time getting immersed in it, it’s just not really grabbing me. Everything is moving at a slow pace and quite frankly, is rather boring. I’m only watching at this point because it’s Stewart as Picard, and with the hopes that the next episode is going to be the one that breaks this series open.

Voyager was set in the same timeline as TNG, albeit in the Delta quadrant as opposed to the Alpha quadrant. The timeline didn't branch off until the Abrams movies. Picard and Seven have never met before but they'd know eachother by reputation. Seven would have memory of Locutus/Picard from when she was in the Borg Collective. Picard would probably only know of Seven since she arrived back in the alpha quadrant with Voyager.

:exactly:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree, once again.

Surprised to be saying we did indeed have it so much better under Berman and Braga. I wonder what they'd do with the production values of TV today. Imagine those old shows with today's effects, real locations, sets built to today's standards with today's digital expansions, better costumes, better 'angry villagers' crowd scenes, proper music scores.

Not a Star Trek guy but I?m seeing lots of hate for this

My wife and I think Picard is better than Discovery (and we like Discovery) I attribute that to the nostalgia factor of Picard and bringing back past characters. But at least Trek fans are less 'hate' filled than Star Wars fans. Star Wars fans can be somewhat unhinged at times...

There seems to be far fewer of us in general. The greater the quantity the more likelihood of there being....riff-raff. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree, once again.

Surprised to be saying we did indeed have it so much better under Berman and Braga. I wonder what they'd do with the production values of TV today. Imagine those old shows with today's effects, real locations, sets built to today's standards with today's digital expansions, better costumes, better 'angry villagers' crowd scenes, proper music scores.

Yeah, I ponder that also. As far as this series goes, I want to at least make it to the episode where Riker makes an appearance, and see where it’s at at that point and how much of a role he will play.

But at least Trek fans are less 'hate' filled than Star Wars fans. Star Wars fans can be somewhat unhinged at times...

All too true. Even though I’m not completely thrilled with it so far, this web series by no means ruined Captain Picard for me, TNG, and ultimately, my beloved childhood.

There seems to be far fewer of us in general. The greater the quantity the more likelihood of there being....riff-raff. :lol

:lol:exactly:

And the cursing - I don't even mind cursing, my posts can be variously padded out with ****s - but it's not Star Trek. Cursing had been phased out of the space-time continuum - that's why in Star Trek IV when they travelled back to the 1980s they made a big deal out of the fact that people were using, as they called it - colourful metaphors.

I missed this post, but that is a good point that didn’t occur to me. I knew the cursing felt a bit out of place for a reason. It really wasn’t in anything Star Trek before so that’s why obviously, but I forgot that this was actually touched on a bit in IV like you say, where cursing was like a completely foreign language to them and intimated that it had been phased out of everyday dialect.

I don’t mind it, it isn’t a dealbreaker for me when it comes to enjoying the series or not, but it does feel out of place for Star Trek.

Yeah, I ponder that also. As far as this series goes, I want to at least make it to the episode where Riker makes an appearance, and see where it?s at at that point and how much of a role he will play.

Oh I'll keep watching aswell. Something to do. And yeah I want to see if there's anything that can salvage it.

I missed this post, but that is a good point that didn?t occur to me. I knew the cursing felt a bit out of place for a reason. It really wasn?t in anything Star Trek before so that?s why obviously, but I forgot that this was actually touched on a bit in IV like you say, where cursing was like a completely foreign language to them and intimated that it had been phased out of everyday dialect.

I don?t mind it, it isn?t a dealbreaker for me when it comes to enjoying the series or not, but it does feel out of place for Star Trek.

And IV still kept it family-friendly. ''Double dumba$$ on you'' :lol

So Kirk's crew are totally taken aback by mild linguistic rudeness from the 1980s and in Picard's time - (but only his elderly years for some reason) Starfleet Admirals are telling him to **** off! :lol I feel like this needs an actual in-universe explanation.

Regardless, it's just coming across as juvenile. *Snicker* We curse now (they curse now?!!!*) Huh huh hehe heh hehe. Now all the cool hip young people will like us.

*to borrow the Star Wars gag

Oh I'll keep watching aswell. Something to do. And yeah I want to see if there's anything that can salvage it.

And IV still kept it family-friendly. ''Double dumba$$ on you'' :lol

So Kirk's crew are totally taken aback by mild linguistic rudeness from the 1980s and in Picard's time - (but only his elderly years for some reason) Starfleet Admirals are telling him to **** off! :lol I feel like this needs an actual in-universe explanation.

Regardless, it's just coming across as juvenile. *Snicker* We curse now (they curse now?!!!*) Huh huh hehe heh hehe. Now all the cool hip young people will like us.

*to borrow the Star Wars gag

They think having a show in a streaming service automatically requires it to be for more mature audiences. And to them, that means more violence, cursing, substance abuse and sex. It's annoying TBH.

Although McCoy was pretty well versed in cursing. In III he referred to Spock as a “green-blooded son of a *****,” not to mention all of his uses of damn, dammit, or hell.

It’s ironic how I said a few days ago that I keep watching with the hope that the next episode will be the one that breaks this series open, because I feel tonight’s episode may have been the “okay, now we’re starting to get somewhere” episode that I was referring to. This is the only episode thus far that actually has me looking forward to the next episode to see what happens. Color me intrigued now.

I also can’t help but think this series, at least this episode, was directed by Quentin Tarantino. :lol

I liked Picard meeting Hugh again. Also the pre-credits bit with him researching the Artifact and the history of the Borg did produce that nifty superimposing of Locutus onto him.

There's something I'm confused about though - why are all these ex-borg so physically scarred from the implant removals? Even if you say 'well, Picard wasn't a Borg for long enough for the Borg implants to really infuse with his body' - but what about Seven of Nine? She had been a Borg most of her life and Voyager's EMH turned her from this

f1f35e0fd3d1820bf86ce987a1a93ece.jpg

into this

2809467-0917124154-Seven.jpg

in what seemed like no time at all.

I was just surprised at how surprised Picard was at the level of De-Borging that was going on there. He seemed really impressed and, if anything, I had the opposite reaction as a viewer.

I suppose he could have been talking about the overall scale of the operation, that such a mass de-assimilation had never been undertaken before. But the progress on each individual sure looks slow.

Last edited:

It?s ironic how I said a few days ago that I keep watching with the hope that the next episode will be the one that breaks this series open, because I feel tonight?s episode may have been the ?okay, now we?re starting to get somewhere? episode that I was referring to. This is the only episode thus far that actually has me looking forward to the next episode to see what happens. Color me intrigued now.

I also can?t help but think this series, at least this episode, was directed by Quentin Tarantino. :lol

Yeah I agree here. This is the first episode I actually enjoyed.

I liked Picard meeting Hugh again. Also the pre-credits bit with him researching the Artifact and the history of the Borg did produce that nifty superimposing of Locutus onto him.

Finally someone "happy" to see Picard. I was a bit worried they'd somehow make Hugh angry at Picard too.

There's something I'm confused about though - why are all these ex-borg so physically scarred from the implant removals? Even if you say 'well, Picard wasn't a Borg for long enough for the Borg implants to really infuse with his body' - but what about Seven of Nine? She had been a Borg most of her life and Voyager's EMH turned her from this

View attachment 479976

into this

View attachment 479975

in what seemed like no time at all.

I was just surprised at how surprised Picard was at the level of De-Borging that was going on there. He seemed really impressed and, if anything, I had the opposite reaction as a viewer.

I suppose he could have been talking about the overall scale of the operation, that such a mass de-assimilation had never been undertaken before. But the progress on each individual sure looks slow.

I think it's worth noting that The Doctor did spend a lot of time regenerating Seven's face and body. She didn't look as good when her implants were just removed:

Seven-of-Nine-Stark-Trek-Voyager.jpg

If I recall correctly, one of her eyes was a prosthetic too.

I'm guessing the Romulans here may be in it for parts, rather than goodwill towards the former Borg. They seem more interested at removing the implants than actually treating the bodies.

Voyager was very inconsistent in all that. Not only do you have Seven, but also the Borg kids who were almost completely "de-Borgified," despite the older ones being pretty much fully drones. And then on the flip side, you have the ex-drones seen in "Unity" who can't grow hair and at least one of which is missing an arm. Which, I suppose, you could explain away as lack of access to proper medical care...but it's inconsistent nonetheless.

Honestly, the Romulans never struck me as people for whom medical care was a big priority.

Not gonna lie, the return of Troi and Riker put a tear in my eye! So great to have them back! And Johnathan Frakes is almost 68 now!!!! HOLY SHIIIIIII.........scary how fast time flies. Marina Sirtis looks great still.

This show has some awkward writing. The scene with the teenager and Dahj where they are talking **** about Picard in front of him was weird and off-putting.

Not gonna lie, the return of Troi and Riker put a tear in my eye! So great to have them back! And Johnathan Frakes is almost 68 now!!!! HOLY SHIIIIIII.........scary how fast time flies. Marina Sirtis looks great still.

This show has some awkward writing. The scene with the teenager and Dahj where they are talking **** about Picard in front of him was weird and off-putting.

Ugh it's several hours more before it becomes available at Amazon Prime for me....

Finally got to see the episode. The series is definitely picking up. I guess like all Trek shows in the past, it took several episodes at least to find its footing. Hopefully the upward trend continues.

I'm not a fan of
Spoiler Spoiler:

Agreed with your spoiler.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Otherwise it was indeed nice to see Riker and Troi again. I just wish these nice reunions were taking place amidst a better overall show that wasn't throwing so much other stuff at the wall that I really don't like.

Agreed with your spoiler.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Otherwise it was indeed nice to see Riker and Troi again. I just wish these nice reunions were taking place amidst a better overall show that wasn't throwing so much other stuff at the wall that I really don't like.

I loved how Riker was still Picard's real "Number One". Able to challenge his captain without being aggressive or insulting (like Raffi). Speaking of Riker:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree with everything "spoilery" said. Riker and Troi's story just HAD to tuck nicely into Picard's. Real life doesn't really work that way.

Back