Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard!

Love the callbacks... Particularly that song in the end. I did not know "she" sang it though.

Also, yeah that
Spoiler Spoiler:

The last couple of episodes had their moments, and I'll look over Season 2. But taking a step back, I think:

• The writing is very sloppy.
  • The language is off-brand and anachronistic for the setting.
  • Jean-Luc Picard in 'Star Trek:TNG' was solely the character as conceived. Jean-Luc Picard in 'Picard' oscillates between being that character and being Patrick Stewart.

It's a very uneven effort riding on the goodwill of fandom.

The last couple of episodes had their moments, and I'll look over Season 2. But taking a step back, I think:

• Jean-Luc Picard in 'Star Trek:TNG' was solely the character as conceived. Jean-Luc Picard in 'Picard' oscillates between being that character and being Patrick Stewart.

It's a very uneven effort riding on the goodwill of fandom.

I think this was deliberate though. At the start (roughly first half of the season), "Picard" was less TNG Picard probably to show his loss of hope/motivation to live. After the Riker episode we see more of the familiar Jean Luc. By the last 2-3 episodes, he was solidly what I thought an older Jean Luc Picard would be like coming from TNG.

I think this was deliberate though. At the start (roughly first half of the season), "Picard" was less TNG Picard probably to show his loss of hope/motivation to live. After the Riker episode we see more of the familiar Jean Luc. By the last 2-3 episodes, he was solidly what I thought an older Jean Luc Picard would be like coming from TNG.

Possible. Maybe I found them too diametrically opposed -- or -- I couldn't get behind it as a character study because there was too much around it I found to be off-kilter, pulling me out of it.

Overall I really liked the series. Much more than Discovery. There were a few missteps, as is always the case, but all in all I’d give it an 8/10.

• Sir Patrick Stewart: the man is Trek royalty.
  • Creative Direction and SFX: from the lush vineyards to the new planets to the ships the show looked cinematic and the effects were pretty seamless.
  • Crew: well developed ragtag bunch with solid backstories. I particularly liked Rios and Raffi, and both actors had strong performances.
  • Jonathan Frakes/Will Riker: Frakes as a director and actor. Riker as a character.
  • 7: great to see her return. Really like how the character grew and went down her own path.
  • Soji/Dahl/Sutra: Nice job by Isa Briones. She’s only 21.
  • Synthetics: Sure there are derivative bits from TOS’s “What Are Little Girls Made Of” “Return to Tomorrow” and “I, Mudd” but that’s Trek.
  • Data: what a wonderful arc.

So-So
  • Starfleet: came across as small in scope and diminished in spirit.
  • La Sirena: ship design was okay, but didn’t bowl me over. Shouldn’t look like a Federation starship, but it could be made cooler. Maybe it will get an upgrade.
  • Spiner’s Data Makeup: guess they didn’t have the budget for digital de-aging. The makeup was a bit cringeworthy at times, but as a viewer you have to let those things go.
  • Troi: it was definitely nice to see Sirtis back, but her scenes were appropriately limited.
  • Elnor: like the character, but the writers weren’t sure what to do with him
  • Narek and Narissa: while they came across a bit like 2-dimensional, somewhat bumbling, moustache-twirling villains they were still kinda fun to watch. Plus Narissa was sexy AF

Dislikes
  • Profanity: unnecessary
  • Vaping: while it would be naive to assume there wouldn’t be drug use in the future, the vaping pipe seemed like they were trying to appeal to today’s hipsters.
  • No Worf, Geordi, or Crusher (Beverly or Wesley) cameos: hopefully one or more of them will show up in season 2. But they could have at least had Hugh ask about Geordi. It’s not like the names couldn’t be mentioned, because Worf and Geordi were both mentioned in episode 2 or 3. Wish they would have threaded a little more of that into the dialogue. I’m hoping when and if Worf shows up, they will use it as a way to retcon away the horrendous Klingon redesigns from Discovery. Also it would have been nice
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Just finished the Plinkett review - that last compilation - the sudden shift from the uplifting, beautifully scored hopeful optimism of Trek past into the Event Horizon Hell-scene horror that was Star Trek:picard :rotfl

They forgot to de-age his hands. :D

Seriously though, they (new version) did a much better job.

I’m hoping when and if Worf shows up, they will use it as a way to retcon away the horrendous Klingon redesigns from Discovery.
What a stupid and unnecessary mess they created for themselves there. When they were yet again changing the design of the Klingons did no one have the foresight to think ''hang on, what if Worf comes back at some point?'' Yes it wouldn't have been in Discovery but if presumably they intended Discovery to be a legit part of Star Trek canon then any future appearance by Worf in any show would draw attention to Discovery's Klingons for some reason looking completely different from him.....unless it would be their intention to overhaul his design too. Being that he is a main character I would find that outrageous, no more acceptable than if they decided Spock should now have giant bat ears.

Old post I'm responding to I know.

I just could never get past that with Discovery. They lost me from the very beginning by doing that.

Anyway I see Patrick Stewart Season 2 is bringing Q back. I'm at least mildly interested to see what they do with him.

Season 3 was recently announced and will feature the entire Next Gen cast

Missing Wesley though. :D

I like Wesley, he had the odd good contribution.

Seeing the band back together will be epic. I hope they don't kill any of them and destroy my childhood like JJ and Ruin did.

While we're on the subject, I think Picard season 2 is pretty good so far. I can't wait to see Strange New Worlds though.

I like Wesley, he had the odd good contribution.

Seeing the band back together will be epic. I hope they don't kill any of them and destroy my childhood like JJ and Ruin did.

While we're on the subject, I think Picard season 2 is pretty good so far. I can't wait to see Strange New Worlds though.
I found the start of this season to be rather rocky but today's episode was solid IMO. This episode made a lot of what I did not like at the first 2 episodes to be better while also adding to the existing lore of TNG.

That guest star was also so awesome!

I really don’t like this show. Another of my sci-fi heroes ruined by a poorly written show by people who don’t really understand Star Trek or it’s characters.
And soon they'll do the same to all TNG characters by the sound of it.

Back