Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm going to give the show a chance before I make judgement.

The stories and characters make the show not the aesthetic of the ship.

This is true to a degree, I think the Ship often becomes a main character however... Enterprise, Voyager, Babylon 5 etc etc. Get that wrong and you'll be fighting an unnecessary battle. Get it right and you make the rest a little easier.

This is true to a degree, I think the Ship often becomes a main character however... Enterprise, Voyager, Babylon 5 etc etc. Get that wrong and you'll be fighting an unnecessary battle. Get it right and you make the rest a little easier.

True, true. I see what you're saying and you're right. :duff

Oh boy, a lot was revealed about Star Trek Discovery!

I'm going to wrap this in spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sounds exciting!

*another prequel, ten years before famous five-year mission depicted in the 1960s TV series.
*lead character will be a human female.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm off. Good luck to yall, fellow trekkies.

Oh boy, a lot was revealed about Star Trek Discovery!

I'm going to wrap this in spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sounds exciting!

Hmm...interesting. I'll definitely give this series a shot.

Since I won't be getting CBS all-access, it will be a long while before I see this.

Another prequel is a dicey road. I dont think i would have taken that gamble since it's not even going to be on regular tv. Add to that the fact that many imo are clamoring for a pick up of the franchise in current time- new technologies, new enemies, curiosity about established races (what happened to the founders, the cardasian rebuild, rougue jem hdar, new alliances).

Another prequel is a dicey road. I dont think i would have taken that gamble since it's not even going to be on regular tv. Add to that the fact that many imo are clamoring for a pick up of the franchise in current time- new technologies, new enemies, curiosity about established races (what happened to the founders, the cardasian rebuild, rougue jem hdar, new alliances).

Prequels are easier since they already have established things to pull from. Too much work going into the future.

There's 70 years to explore between the TOS and TNG, I just don't understand why they won't go there. The only advantage that I can see to set this in the TOS or slightly before era is the Federation is at war with the Klingon's.........I suppose it'll mean we're back to Hispanic looking Klingons....

This is sounding more and more interesting, but I'm still frustrated it won't be on regular cable/TV vs a streaming service. I suppose I'll pay for the streaming service unless the show gets utterly dismal reviews, but... Argh.

I've been a long time Star Trek fan. I just could not get behind the JJ-verse and this I don't think sounds all that appealing either. I was good up until around S6-ish of DS9 where it started to get stale and around that time Voyager was kinda floundering too. I liked both shows though, as well as TNG notwithstanding. Certainly if you have to pay for Discovery, that's a big downer, but overall I think I've reached the point with things Trek that I can be happy just letting it 'be' and re-watch old episodes or movies if I get the desire. There are several TV shows that I love and were great, but rebooting any of them would be a bad idea....examples Babylon 5, Buffy The Vamp Slayer to name a few. You just can't keep things going forever. Rebooting/continuing the cash cow via prequel I think is a recipe for disaster.

Not liking much what I'm hearing on this.....sounds like Enterprise all over again....oh well another female main hero - the trend of this era I guess

I always thought the spy stuff with bashir was great. Seeing the federation from a side we'd never seen before. A new modern show dealing with the intelligence and espionage side of the Star Trek universe is totally appealing. Maybe do something like a Cold War.

I could get behind a prequel if 1. It hadn't JUST been done; 2. The prequel that was just done wasn't mediocre, 3. The new prequel wasn't exclusively on some pay streaming service, and 4. The idea of a post ds9 story was impossible.

Since I won't be getting CBS all-access, it will be a long while before I see this.
I won't be either, the premier episode will at least broadcast so It'll have to do until they either put this on Netflix (it will be that way internationally) or play them on network when their streaming service goes south. :pray:
I've been a long time Star Trek fan. I just could not get behind the JJ-verse and this I don't think sounds all that appealing either. I was good up until around S6-ish of DS9 where it started to get stale and around that time Voyager was kinda floundering too. I liked both shows though, as well as TNG notwithstanding. Certainly if you have to pay for Discovery, that's a big downer, but overall I think I've reached the point with things Trek that I can be happy just letting it 'be' and re-watch old episodes or movies if I get the desire. There are several TV shows that I love and were great, but rebooting any of them would be a bad idea....examples Babylon 5, Buffy The Vamp Slayer to name a few. You just can't keep things going forever. Rebooting/continuing the cash cow via prequel I think is a recipe for disaster.

Buffy is itself a reboot of the movie, and quite successful. I think most would rather have a revisit to Angel than a reboot anyways.

I always thought the spy stuff with bashir was great. Seeing the federation from a side we'd never seen before. A new modern show dealing with the intelligence and espionage side of the Star Trek universe is totally appealing. Maybe do something like a Cold War.

I could get behind a prequel if 1. It hadn't JUST been done; 2. The prequel that was just done wasn't mediocre, 3. The new prequel wasn't exclusively on some pay streaming service, and 4. The idea of a post ds9 story was impossible.
The problem for me there is that also means post Voyager, and I don't want my Federation with Borg-ified tech like Bio-neuro packs and Transwarp conduits. :gah:

Since what ruined Enterprise was Braga and Berman who are not involved with Discovery, instead we have Fuller and Meyer at the helm on this, I have a lot of faith in this new prequel.

You know the premier show of this will have one BIG cliffhanger to it. :lol

Back