Spider-Man: No Way Home (December 17th, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's never been clear to me. Feels like some prior scene was deleted.
Either that or a taste of typical MCU fan service where the first thing moral heroes do when they meet is fight each other. :LOL:
This also made me scratch my head. And no character in the movie even raises the question if memory serves.
They were too busy Scooby Doo-ing? :unsure:

This might be hard to believe, but there's actually room for both in your life. :lol

You know, I do like lighter fair, its why I like Star Wars... but Star Wars has gotten so goofy and relatively pointless that I had hoped the MCU would fill the void... but now its gotten goofy (rubber heroes) and pointless (multi-lands). So I am left with only darkness... (Batman).

Just kinda sloppy. Take out the Tobey and Andrew gimmick and this flick doesn't have much going for it. With them ... I don't hate it but can't really get behind it either.
It is at the top of the nostalgia attempts. Vader in Rogue One is up there too. But I like all of the villains and that was more important to me than Tobey/Andrew to be honest. It is the ultimate corporation movie as you would have needed to see all of the SM films to understand everything in the movie. If you really analyze NWH, you will see that all 5 of the Tobey/Andrew movies were incorporated heavily into locations and dialogue. It was an emotional film for Spidey fans.

I think I said something to the effect of ''it didn't change my life'', which it didn't. I expect I'll always watch it alongside the strongest MCU films though because it was a delight to see all these actors back in their roles and essentially canonizing all the previous Spiderman movies with the MCU. The nostalgia did its job.

it was a delight to see all these actors back in their roles and essentially canonizing all the previous Spiderman movies with the MCU. The nostalgia did its job.
Yep. Sure the movie falls apart if you remove Garfield and Maguire but so does TDK if you remove Joker, Star Wars without Vader, or JAWS without a shark, lol.

It is at the top of the nostalgia attempts. Vader in Rogue One is up there too. But I like all of the villains and that was more important to me than Tobey/Andrew to be honest. It is the ultimate corporation movie as you would have needed to see all of the SM films to understand everything in the movie. If you really analyze NWH, you will see that all 5 of the Tobey/Andrew movies were incorporated heavily into locations and dialogue. It was an emotional film for Spidey fans.
I get it. I love Spidey, and love the Raimi 1 & 2 and even Garfield's Spidey in spite of being in weak films ... but the film mostly felt manipulative and almost a touch desperate. I didn't hate it, I just can't love it.

Yep. Sure the movie falls apart if you remove Garfield and Maguire but so does TDK if you remove Joker, Star Wars without Vader, or JAWS without a shark, lol.
The obvious counter but I would argue that structurally, you could have done the same movie without them. Not so with Star Wars and Jaws ... and as for TDK Ledger's performance carries that film. And this is exactly what I mean when I say I honestly don't hate it, I just don't care about it that much. I feel ... indifferent ... and I shouldn't when Spider-Man is one of my favourite superheroes of all time.

Interesting that you took the villains out of those other movies, but only two of three heroes out of NWH.
I just went with the defining characters for each. Though I do think that of that bunch only NWH required specific actors in certain roles. Would TDK have still been great if Phoenix or Leto had been cast instead of Ledger? It very well could have. Obviously I was joking about removing a shark entirely from JAWS, but did it have to be that specific shark animatronic? Not necessarily, especially since so much of the film's impact is the result of not seeing the shark. Would Star Wars have still worked if way back in 1977 George had a Darth Maul looking guy stepping onto the Blockade Runner in the beginning instead of Vader? It probably would have, maybe not to the degree that it did but I don't think that TDK, SW, or JAWS would have collapsed entirely with good but different variations on those particular characters.

But there's absolutely no way (no pun intended, lol) that NWH would have worked without Garfield and Maguire specifically. Still though my overall point was just to agree with a-dev that regardless of how specific the gimmick was all that matters was that at the end of the day the gimmick worked and the movie delivered.

I know you were mostly joking about removing those villains, but just to note, I think it is like comparing apples to oranges. Not just because they are villains, thus driving the conflict, but because they were "original" as opposed to "deliberate nostalgia".

Now before you say Joker is not original, let me argue that Ledger's Joker was so different, such a change from all previous incarnations, that he almost was an original creation (almost -- he is the only one of your three with a nostalgia factor, but it could have really backfired too). In SW and Jaws case, those were original creations obviously -- hard to remember that far back with Vader.

NWH is more about the gimmick -- all the previous actors of Spiderman on the same screen with all their previous foes -- that's the grab. It is a gimmick based on "playground fantasy" and self-awareness of the other movies. In TDK, SW and Jaws, the premise or gimmick was not based on some outside understanding previously viewed. Only TDK has a 'previous' aspect but its not like Jack Nicholson returned, which would much more equate to NWH.

The latest addition to this nonsense for old-men's nostalgia is the return of Keaton. Full on nostalgia. The movie doesn't even have to be anything anymore -- its can be Batgirl or Flash or anything no one wants -- but throw in Keaton Bats and it becomes a ride people have to go on.

The movie as "thrill ride" has evolved into the movie as "nostalgia-coaster"...

But you know me, I can't stand the "let's do it again" mentality. I hated it when Han and Chewie entered frame in TFA. I hated it when Gilligan's castaways returned to the island.

I think they should call these things what they are... Reunions.

SpiderMan: Reunion

Here is ZE_501 posting his review in this thread…

1647373452109.gif

Back