Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3rd, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, as an Asian, I never really noticed any of those.
Between SC & BP, it's pretty obvious. You can't do Asgard and Olympus as Modern Day L.A. then do a 180 on other mythical monocultures and expect me to just roll with it. It's hypocritical. And that underground fight line just didn't make any sense. It reeked of a bunch of Execs putting it in to pander to the twitter crowd.

The reason the film did not work for me was because I wanted to see a more sinister Mandarin. I was also not that impressed with the acting here (Mandarin excluded). The whole thing looked like a mish-mash of ideas as well. Lastly, the ending tried too hard and yet failed to impress.
Most capeflicks have subpar acting. I was impressed that I didn't find Awkwafina annoying. Plot-Wise I didn't mind it, I just wish it didn't jump around so much and dealt with Wenwu and the Makluans instead of cramming a watered-down Dweller in there. It was both generic and just felt off. They defeat the Big Bad and they go drink some coffee to tease the next bit. It was underwhelming.

Most capeflicks have subpar acting. I was impressed that I didn't find Awkwafina annoying. Plot-Wise I didn't mind it, I just wish it didn't jump around so much and dealt with Wenwu and the Makluans instead of cramming a watered-down Dweller in there. It was both generic and just felt off. They defeat the Big Bad and they go drink some coffee to tease the next bit. It was underwhelming.
I think it was worse than average for a superhero film. I mean, there are movies in the MCU that had good to great acting (TWS, CW, IM and BP are among my favorites in terms of acting) but this was in the bottom of the bin. Mortal Kombat had better acting than this.

This movie was barely better than Netflix' Iron Fist IMO. Only the martial arts fights brought it above Iron Fist.

Yeah the Dweller in this movie felt forced like Doomsday in BvS. It's like they "needed" a big bad thing they can band together and fight against.

I think it was worse than average for a superhero film. I mean, there are movies in the MCU that had good to great acting (TWS, CW, IM and BP are among my favorites in terms of acting) but this was in the bottom of the bin. Mortal Kombat had better acting than this.

This movie was barely better than Netflix' Iron Fist IMO. Only the martial arts fights brought it above Iron Fist.

Yeah the Dweller in this movie felt forced like Doomsday in BvS. It's like they "needed" a big bad thing they can band together and fight against.
I wouldn't got that far. It had serviceable performances generally. MK I couldn't even finish. Lueng's good though that he made up for it. I enjoyed Xialing too, but found the "YAAAAS KWEEEN SLAYYYY" rap bits jarring and silly.

And yeah, they wasted the Dweller. They should've either used more genuine Chinese Mythology or gone with the Makluans properly.

Watched this last night. Best thing about the movie was Ben Kingsley.

I finally watched it last night as well.

Was ok About what I expected. My only complaint would be Awkward ******* Fina. She is pointless and annoying as ****. As expected. She could be completely removed from the movie, and it wouldn't make a difference. In fact it would've been even better. And the creatures looked a little too Muppety than realistic cgi (other than the evil thingy).

The only real issue for me is none of these characters resemble their Marvel comics origins one bit. Shang-Chi and Wanwu, fake Mandarin #2, have like nothing in common except their names. And the 10 rings are a far cry from the comic 10 rings.. They're more like Thor's hammer.

But overall I enjoyed it as a martial arts fantasy movie rather than being part of the MCU. And absolutely NO clue was given as to why Wong and Abomination are fight club buddies. Anyone? Just because. To show they're part of the MCU?

OK......it's time to get something off my chest. I've been hiding it a long time and I'm finally ready to share with you guys.

OK.

Here goes.

I find Awkwafina attractive.

There. I said it. It's out there.

My only exposure to Shang Chi is the old 70s comics my dad gave me, but I love them. Very cool, stylized secret agent stuff. James Bond mixed with Mission: Impossible mixed with Enter the Dragon. This movie had none of that.

The lead wasn’t charismatic at all. They could’ve got someone like the dude who played Snake Eyes, made him a James Bond type secret agent, combining the traits of Shang Chi, Black Jack Tarr and Clive Reston - since the director decided not to include those two because they were white guys.

It could’ve been done something like the M:I movies, especially using someone like the Mandarin, and the cloak and dagger setting could’ve worked to introduce his top assassin, Psylocke.

Instead, this had Where the Wild Things Are looking cgi creatures, boring enemies (with exception of the dad) and bad designs - the enemy soldiers looked horrible, are these designs really the best this design studio could come up with?

I’m very forgiving with movies like this because I don’t expect them to be anything but cheesy big budget superhero flicks. This sucked.

Finally watched it while getting inked. Fun and entertaining enough, nothing to be mad over.

259833263_10160506495401554_5371927199390060490_n.jpg

Yeah, I definitely would like to see Akwafina naked. I'm probably in the minority, but I can't help it.

I have a feeling she's gay in real life though. Not that that matters in any way. Cause you know, she's just sitting in her mansion with millions of dollars thinking "when am I gonna meet a fat dork in his 40s that collects toys and argues about them on the internet?"

moe.jpg

Yeah, I definitely would like to see Akwafina naked. I'm probably in the minority, but I can't help it.

I have a feeling she's gay in real life though. Not that that matters in any way. Cause you know, she's just sitting in her mansion with millions of dollars thinking "when am I gonna meet a fat dork in his 40s that collects toys and argues about them on the internet?"

View attachment 549333
images

Finally got around to watching tonight. Even though I knew everything that was going to happen, I was shockingly entertained. Yes it was Marvel-ized King Fu action but it was still engaging, I even liked the main guy. The slightly slacker quality they gave Shang-Chi was kind of unique for the MCU, as far as I can recall. The guy actually made me laugh a couple of times. I'm glad they kept the sense of humor in this, because it gets weird. It did come off like an apology for Iron Fist from time to time, but I get that. I'm just very surprised I liked it as much as I did, I had zero expectations or hopes and will certainly watch again. Wow. Trevor Slattery forever!

View attachment 549333
Stop thinking so low of yourself . Also she’s hot. I want to see her naked to .

"That definitely did come up in the discussion. If I did [Shang-Chi]. I would effectively be putting Colleen to bed. It wasn’t the main factor, but it definitely came up in conversation," she explains. "I love Colleen. She changed my life. Of course, if I was given the opportunity to revisit her, I would, but I just don’t know how likely that is. Charlie knew about that opportunity years ago. He already knew it was happening. I think I would have heard by now if there were any plans with Colleen."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/shan...poiler-knew-about-mcu-debut-a190476#gs.jkugud

She was in Underwater, one of my favorites from recent years. Very underrated movie IMO.

Back