RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Green Knight.

It’s not as appealing as I would ideally like. But deconstruction isn‘t doing its job if it isn’t making you just a little bit uncomfortable.

Honestly, I don't know much about the film, but I was considering checking it out.

This part of your review gives me an "adapted for modern audiences" kinda vibe though. Is that what I should expect?

Blonde
I’m not giving a score for this because I honestly don’t know what to give it. I don’t hate it the way most people seem to hate it, but I certainly don’t love it. I initially hated it because it seemed to just be a mixture of De Armas crying a lot, faithful recreations of classic photos or moments or movies and a lot of NC-17 sex. But about halfway through the almost 3 hour runtime I realised this is all a dream, she often questions this and it has a lot of dreams and a dream like quality. So it’s basically a David Lynch film. The Nick Cave, Warren Ellis music reminded me at times of Angelo Badalamenti’s Twin Peaks music. At one point Lynch and Mark Frost were going to do Goddess, a biopic about Marilyn. Laura Palmer seems to be based in part on Monroe and this film certainly validates all that. I just don’t know what to make of it. But I felt that way watching many Lynch films the first time.

The French Dispatch

As an illustrator and designer (and old-timey in general), I was totally wrapped up in the archaic and somewhat esoteric aesthetic of this movie. The story, dialogue, set pieces and cinematography were both rich and highly creative. As expected with an anthology film, some stories were more poignant than others. However I cannot deny that I truly enjoyed the film as a whole. Jeffrey Wright's food columnist Roebuck Wright was a personal standout and must have been a dream to portray. 4/5

Halloween Kills: 7/10

I know I am alone on this one, but this was a pretty good Halloween film.

I think its light years better than 5/6/7

Better than H20.

I like the transition to the” he is no longer a man, but something else feeding off violence and death.”

I enjoyed the flashbacks, and the tie ins to the original. The middle mob scene was a bit heavy handed, but I got what they were going for, and modern movie audeieces are pretty stuoid, so you have to be blunt and obvious with any kind of story.

I always liked the Halloween franchise to be the boogeyman story. So I did enjoy oarts of the Thorn ideas, and felt that could have been a good story, if told by capable filmakers.

Really curious to see where they take this. Hopefully the next one is not as in your face with the analogies….

I do see why a certain segment of population would feel “attacked” but some
of the obvious messages, but what do those types not feel attacked by these days.

Overall

H1.
H4
H2
Halloween 18
Kills

then all the rest are trash. including those awful RZ snuff films.

Keepers creepers reborn… yikes…

There have been some bad sequels and many in the horror genre but whole **** this made Critters look like an Oscar contender… so bad on almost every level.. the story… the over production … Christ the creeper wasn’t even the same… probably the worst movie I sat though in a long time

Hoping Hellraiser Woke is better

Hellraiser (2022) 3/10

The 3 is for the Cenobites. It felt like a direct to video movie. Poor acting, a very weak uninteresting story and bland and obnoxious characters. I was delighted each time one of them was picked off. Not a patch on the original. I bought into the hype and felt so disappointed with the final result. I even heard some reviewers saying it was better than the original 😆 What a joke! There are so many better recent horrors out there than this. Heck it’s not even a patch on Bruckner’s own recent horror offerings: The Ritual and The Night House.

Last edited:
X (2022) 8/10
Creepy and effective as anything. Elements of TCM abound but is completely its own thing as well. Looking forward to Pearl now.

Honestly, I don't know much about the film, but I was considering checking it out.

This part of your review gives me an "adapted for modern audiences" kinda vibe though. Is that what I should expect?

If you go in expecting classical escapism into medieval fantasy you’ll be sorely disappointed, I would say. Not a conventional fantasy film at all, lol. John Boorman’s Excalibur is a bit closer to what this film is aiming for. But with Excalibur there’s still an obvious love of the grail myth, and a reverence for it. You don’t get that here.

Here I think the film is deconstructing chivalry. Imo the film as asking: Is chivalry even possible when our baser instincts for survival are so incredibly strong, rooted in Nature itself? If you’re psychologically willing to go on a journey of that sort you’ll probably be okay with it.

I didn’t particularly enjoy it because I love to romanticize myth. But I’m still glad I watched it. I might watch it again now that I think I roughly understand it (?). It might grow on me for putting me in touch with something that rounds me out more, and matures me, etc.

Prey: 8/10: Interesting take, on a the tired old tale.

Not too derivative, mostly pretty orignial take.

Would have mucj prefered the actors to speak the entire film in Camanche…with a subtitled english….It would have elevted this film another 1/2 point to me.

Would have mucj prefered the actors to speak the entire film in Camanche…with a subtitled english….It would have elevted this film another 1/2 point to me.
At least there is a Comanche dub of it

Ant - Man and The Wasp

I don't believe in using actual numbers to rate a movie.
Suffice it to say, I enjoyed the movie immensely in spite of having seen it maybe 30 or 40 times already.

Plenty of action and great dialogue .. and the ending is a nice segue into Endgame.

Ant - Man and The Wasp -05b982ee_b.jpg

br.jpg

Interesting poster right? I picked this one because its spooky season and I'd always heard this was part of the inspiration for Bloodborne the Playstation exclusive Lovecraft meets Dark Souls game.

Holy heck was this movie slooooooooooow. Some really cool costumes, prop work, and a great set up. Just takes forever to develop and we get far more "hanging out with French nobility" stuff than is really necessary. Add to that some very dated early 2000s camera work and CGI and you got a movie that honestly, just isn't better than its concept.

On the whole its like a 4/10 that gets bumped to 5/10 merely by the presence of the always gorgeous Monica Belluci, playing a pretty great femme fatale type character.
m.jpg

An American Werewolf in London - 7/10
A great werewolf movie with probably one of the best transformations on screen. It isn't perfect though. The pacing is a bit off. Sometimes it drags and sometimes it rushes towards it's sudden end.

Fright Night (1985) - 6/10
Pretty cool vampire flick. I still remember seeing it for the first time about 25 years ago. The “sharkmouth” vampire in the end scared the crap out of me back then.

Pet Sematary (1989) - 7/10
Probably one of my favourite Stephen King stories and another horror classic. Quite freaky at times, especially the Zelda stuff and the ending. Fred Gwynne is awesome as Jud Crandall.

Malignant - 6/10
A fairly decent horrorfilm. I'll put up spoiler tags because it's a fairly recent movie
From the very first trailer I knew the girl would be the culprit in some form. Didn't expect them to go full Nurse Gollum though. I think that was an awesome idea. The execution was a bit less though. Sometimes I felt like I was watching a superhero movie and the ending kinda sucked when Madison gained control, mostly due to some cringy acting on her part.

The Crazies (2010) - 5/10
Not too bad, but for some reason I always end up losing interest throughout the movie.

Last edited:
Orca (1977) - 6/10
A combination of captive killer whale footage from a zoo, killer whales in the wild and some extremely lifelike animatronics, make this film hold up rather well. In fact, although it is quite obvious which parts are filmed at the zoo, I'm willing to bet that this looks better than it would today with CGI killer whales.
It's not a great movie, but I always liked it ever since seeing it for the first time a long time ago.

Bram Stoker's Dracula: - 8/10
One of my favourite horror movies. Gary Oldman is amazing as Dracula. Love the designs and atmosphere of this film and the way they made use of traditional trickery and special effects. While it doesn't bother me as much as others, Keanu Reeves is hugely miscast in this, so for that an 8 instead of a 9 out of 10.

I also watched Prey (2022) recently, and I wholly enjoyed it! The setting, score, world immersion, tone were all well done. I really liked Naru, she's a powerful heroine (but she seems to be somewhat superhuman in some situations, though I wasn't too bothered by that). It was a great experience to watch Naru and her tribe just performing their tasks with minimal dialogue.

Sinister - 7/10
Another awesome horror film. Very dark and disturbing!

Sinister 2 - 6/10
First time I saw this. Cool to see how the children experience this, where in the first one it was from an adult viewpoint. They shouldn't have used the demon as much though. It felt like he was around every corner. The first one did it better and more sinister. ;) Hadn't seen Shannyn Sossamon in anything for quite a while. She was quite good were I often found her annoying in earlier roles. James Ransone was good as well. Good to see him back in this part which ties it nicely to the first.

Back