RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean. There are a handful of movies that fit into that mold for me. Based on the time they were released, premise, casting, tone, or general approach you expect it to be a homerun, and can fool yourself into thinking that even after seeing it, but it just doesn't really hit the mark. One for me is Near Dark. Mid-80s, includes some of the best actors from Aliens (and the performances from Paxton and Henriksen are great in this film), is a moody and sometimes extremely violent, modern vampire story, directed by Kathryn Bigalow. I want to love it, and can sometimes fool myself into thinking I do. But deep down I know it isn't that fulfilling and doesn't live up to its potential.
That’s funny because I absolutely adore Near Dark!!

I don't like a lot of the Marvel shows, but I'd watch one of Justin Hammer.

I'd give anything to see Trevor Slattery/Fake Mandarin, Korg/Miek, Rocket and Justin Hammer in a TV show together just chewing up scenery.

Which brings me back to Thor Love And Thunder, if Taika wanted a comedy, and if he replaced Portman and Thompson with Sam Rockwell, how much better would that movie be....
Couldn’t agree more. Just the way Rockwell says “Anthony” just floors me.

Last edited:
Northman 9/10-
filled with all sorts of awesome Robert Eggers weirdness and a great cast. Fantastic atmosphere with a relatively straight forward revenge tale. Great brutality, do recommend.
I loved The Northman. A very underrated film if you ask me, but then again; Eggers isn't for everybody. There were people leaving the theatre halfway through when I went to see it. I guess they expected more of a Vikings kinda thing.
Completely agree about The Northman. 8 pushing towards 9 out of 10. I didn’t think it was as brutal as people made it out to be. Terrific cast. Great story. The most accessible Eggers film so far.

Glorious - 5/10. Average film from Shudder. Not great but not bad. Not much happens. :lol

Thor: Love & Thunder - 7/10. Can't lie, I did enjoy it and found myself laughing. Far better than the recent crap Marvel has been pumping out.

Vicious Fun - 7/10 - done on the cheap from Shudder, but just an overall fun movie. I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

Definitely worth a blind buy if you can pick it up in the bargain bin.

Pinocchio (2022) - 2/10.

We flipped a coin between this and Love & Thunder. What a complete turd. Horrible VFX, horrible story, and horrible acting.

It’s a good watch for those who are morbidly curious masochists.

Pinocchio (2022) - 2/10.

We flipped a coin between this and Love & Thunder. What a complete turd. Horrible VFX, horrible story, and horrible acting.

It’s a good watch for those who are morbidly curious masochists.
Sigh, what the grr ever happened to Zemeckis. Has to be the biggest fall from grace ever.

Poor guy hasn’t been the same since Polar Express. Maybe he’s just in it to cash checks at this point, I refuse to believe he’s washed up.
I’m not as optimistic as you but yeah Polar Express was the end for me and has a lot to answer for. I haven’t even bothered with most of his work since then. His consecutive run in the eighties is pretty peerless.

I’m not as optimistic as you but yeah Polar Express was the end for me and has a lot to answer for. I haven’t even bothered with most of his work since then. His consecutive run in the eighties is pretty peerless.
His 80s run has some of my all times favorites. I was pretty shocked to find out that he also directed the 2020 remake of The Witches. :sick:

His 80s run has some of my all times favorites. I was pretty shocked to find out that he also directed the 2020 remake of The Witches. :sick:
Yeah you can’t beat the 80s version of The Witches with Angelica Huston. Terrifying stuff.

Yet another Zemeckis film that should never have been greenlight. I can’t believe I’m saying that.

"Nope": 6/10.
It was really good up to the point where they revealed what the mystery was. After that point, it became boring and ordinary. I did enjoy the slow burn though.

Back