RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Last Duel: 8/10

Really good movie. Had a Rashomon quality to it, where you see more or less the same story told through the perspective of three different people. I enjoyed seeing some of the subtleties in the differences portrayed. On the surface level, the audience will naturally find the woman's (Marguerite) perspective the most believable. But if the men are likely to embellish and selectively perceive, why shouldn't we also expect that from her? Part of the joy is trying to figure out "truth" within these competing perspectives. But putting that aside, performances were fantastic across the board, the cinematography and direction were top notch, and the general development of the story was compelling and ultimately rewarding. . .unless you disagree with one of the perspectives shown earlier in the film. Along the way we get a nice exploration of human behavior and the politics and economics of the time portrayed. This is the definition of a movie not telling you what to think, but allowing the viewer to have their own interpretation of things, and I love that. I think this is probably the best modern (e.g., post-1980s) Ridley Scott movie I've seen.

The Matrix 4 - 6/10

It wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be. This movie didn't have to exist, and it was perhaps the least philosophical or intriguing of all the Matrix movies. But, I thought it had a good sendoff for the main characters.

Rushmore - 6/10
Not as quirky as later Wes Anderson films, but not as likeable either. It really wasn't a bad film, it's just that the main character is an absolute D-bag. I guess it's the way he's intended to be, but man he was unlikeable.

The Royal Tenenbaums - 8/10

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 7.5/10

The Darjeeling Limited - 6.5/10

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 7.5/10

Moonrise Kingdom - 5/10

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 7.5/10

Isle of Dogs - 8/10

I'm also not the biggest fan of Rushmore, though I haven't seen it in many years. For me, the best Anderson movie is Tenenbaums, followed by Zissou and Bottle Rocket, and the others are kind of middling to forgettable on my list. I respect that he has a style and sensibility all his own, and enjoy it, but at this point there are diminishing returns.

By the way, I'm pretty sure there was a scene in Loki where Owen Wilson was referencing his character in Bottle Rocket making bird noises.

The Royal Tenenbaums - 8/10

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 7.5/10

The Darjeeling Limited - 6.5/10

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 7.5/10

Moonrise Kingdom - 5/10

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 7.5/10

Isle of Dogs - 8/10
Relatively speaking i completely agreement with these assessments although i haven’t seen Isle of Dogs yet. Normally love Anderson but Moonrise and Darjeeling did nothing for me. I would put Fantastic Mr Fox much higher mainly because i grew up with the book and my kids love it too and Grand Budapest might be my favorite overall. French Dispatch is really good too!

I'm also not the biggest fan of Rushmore, though I haven't seen it in many years. For me, the best Anderson movie is Tenenbaums, followed by Zissou and Bottle Rocket, and the others are kind of middling to forgettable on my list. I respect that he has a style and sensibility all his own, and enjoy it, but at this point there are diminishing returns.

By the way, I'm pretty sure there was a scene in Loki where Owen Wilson was referencing his character in Bottle Rocket making bird noises.
I haven't been able to track down Bottle Rocket yet. I watched some of them on Disney+ and others I had on Blu-Ray, but I haven't found Bottle Rocket yet, so I'll keep on the lookout. Same for The French Dispatch, but seeing that it fairly recent I'm sure it'll pop up on one streamingservice or another soon.

I hadn't seen The Royal Tenenbaums in many years. And when I saw it all those years ago I found it hard to appreciate because seeing it had Ben Stiller and Owen and Luke Wilson, I expected a comedy in the style of Starsky and Hutch or Old School. I wasn't ready for what we got. I was looking to watch it again a couple of years now, but it wasn't exactly easy to come by on Blu Ray over here, so luckily it was available on D+.

Relatively speaking i completely agreement with these assessments although i haven’t seen Isle of Dogs yet. Normally love Anderson but Moonrise and Darjeeling did nothing for me. I would put Fantastic Mr Fox much higher mainly because i grew up with the book and my kids love it too and Grand Budapest might be my favorite overall. French Dispatch is really good too!
I absolutely loved Isle of Dogs. Didn't think I would like it that much. The animation was beautiful and the story really had heart. Highly recommended.

I like The Darjeeling Limited, but Moonrise Kingdom is definitely my least favorite. It has the usual Wes Anderson ingredients and looks good, but I don't really like the story or characters and watching the main characters dance around in their underwear makes me feel like a pervert.

I'm on the lookout for The French Dispatch.

I hadn't seen The Royal Tenenbaums in many years. And when I saw it all those years ago I found it hard to appreciate because seeing it had Ben Stiller and Owen and Luke Wilson, I expected a comedy in the style of Starsky and Hutch or Old School. I wasn't ready for what we got. I was looking to watch it again a couple of years now, but it wasn't exactly easy to come by on Blu Ray over here, so luckily it was available on D+.
I saw it when it first came out, so thankfully my opinion wasn't tainted by the broad comedies that those guys were more known for later on. I need to rewatch it myself as it's been a few years, but that movie is moving and relatable to me in a way that many others aren't, despite the quirkiness of Anderson's filmmaking style. The relationships, and emotional experiences of the characters resonate. The scene where Luke attempts suicide sticks with me. It was shocking and yet felt so logical and authentic. I think it is a great film.

I saw it when it first came out, so thankfully my opinion wasn't tainted by the broad comedies that those guys were more known for later on. I need to rewatch it myself as it's been a few years, but that movie is moving and relatable to me in a way that many others aren't, despite the quirkiness of Anderson's filmmaking style. The relationships, and emotional experiences of the characters resonate. The scene where Luke attempts suicide sticks with me. It was shocking and yet felt so logical and authentic. I think it is a great film.
Weirdly enough I totally forgot that Richy attempts suicide. I remembered that he cut his hair and beard and that was it. So yeah, that was quite shocking, but like you say felt very authentic. There were lots of things I seem to have forgotten since my only watch all those years ago. To the point that my basic recollection of the film was that I knew who was in it, some specific scenes and a general idea that it's about a dysfunctional family.

So I was kinda surprised in how "new" it felt and how much I liked the film now as opposed to my viewing all those years back. It almost felt like I was seeing it for the first time and really appreciating it for what it is.

Copshop and Boss Level (7/10) - two fairly recent Joe Carnahan/Frank Grillo action films both really decent with some great characters and actors, terrific action, nothing mindblowing or special just lots of fun.

Mad Max (4K) - admittedly not my favourite in the series (much prefer 2 and 4) but the quality of the transfer really helps. You can see Miller experimenting seeing what worked and then applying that in the next film.

Scream 1-4 - just the first one in 4K, solid but not as revelatory as Mad Max for example. I rate these 1, 2, 4, 3, 1 is a classic, 2 and 4 are under valued and 3 being the only one that i find disappointing, it’s noticeable that Kevin Williamson didn’t do the script.

Watched the new Texas Chainsaw movie on netflix. Complete garbage and nothing really makes any sense in it. Especially with tying into the original with a certain character.

Watched the new Texas Chainsaw movie on netflix. Complete garbage and nothing really makes any sense in it. Especially with tying into the original with a certain character.
TCM:1/10

Ok that's weird, I just "watched it". The beginning had some nice set ups.....but then...WTD happened.....I tuned out when the guy livestreamed himself getting chain sawed. Horrible suff...who gives writers and directors money to make this garbage?

The King's Man - 6.5/10
I rather liked it, but I was kinda surprised how much some basic knowledge about how World War I came to start and who the main players were was helpful in watching the plot unfold. I personally didn't mind, but I have a feeling that it could be quite a convoluted storyline if you don't know anything about it.

Jungle Cruise - 6.5/10

At times this really reminded me of older Disney films and old adventure films, which was a good thing. Sometimes it was a bit too silly, a bit too Disney and a relying too much on some questionable CGI. Overall I liked it though. I think the three main castmembers acted well together and I'm not ashamed to say I laughed out loud at some of The Rock's jokes.

The Blair Witch Project (1999) - 7/10

Hadn't seen this one in ages. It does a really good job of being very suspensefull and downright scary without actually showing anything. It holds up really well and it had the good fortune of coming out just before everybody started to use smartphones and all the functions those come with. No need to come up with any storylines as to why they got lost.

Back