Prime 1 Big Game Jungle Hunter Predator 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The decals don't really bother me either, so long as they're done well. I get the complaints from some people. If you compare the prototype to the production, the skin pattern looks quite 'basic' on the production piece compared to the prototype. I think they still could have achieved that airbrushed look with a decal. I think it's more noticeable on the body than the head.

Obviously, the decal needs to be applied correctly too, and then sealed, to avoid the flaking issue. They done a great job on fugitive.

The decals need to be applied and sealed correctly, yes, but there also should be some airbrush work on the patterns as well. Like I said, it's something Sideshow got right on the maquette. The mixing of the techniques creates a much more believable skin tone.

Those looking for a nice glossy sealer, this super gloss works very well, I've used it on small projects before, I do feel so wrong putting a $4 sealer on a $2k piece haha but I haven't hear anyone ever speak about premium sealers.

Attachments

• 20210823_205901.jpg
    20210823_205901.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 41
Decals don’t bother me as long as they are applied correctly.

when I hold my phone, with a pic of the proto, up to my statue, I really see no problems with decales. They look very close to the proto pics… Now the darker brown color change has an effect on the piece for sure and it is lacking some of the great shading that is on the proto. But the decales on the head.. Not an issue IMO.

Using decales might be the best way to make sure all tge 1/3 pieces look closer to the proto.

not sure what has happened with these flaking pieces.
This ND the decal are two totally different paint jobs. Maybe at a distance the colors bleed together but side by side, like pics I posted before. They're totally differnt. The final product is a black sharp edge dot pattern. The prototype had multiple layers of work giving it an almost lifelike look.

Those looking for a nice glossy sealer, this super gloss works very well, I've used it on small projects before, I do feel so wrong putting a $4 sealer on a $2k piece haha but I haven't hear anyone ever speak about premium sealers.
Thanks for this man. Still undecided if I'm going to gloss mine, it's a bit of a tricky one as I don't think the predator should be fully glossy all over, it didn't have that look in the film, but rather a bit more subtle, some areas look super wet, some not so much etc, rather than an even coat of gloss all over.

By the way, Prime 1 got back to me. Since I got my statue from a local dealer in Australia I gotta send the head to them so they can arrange the swap with Prime 1. A bit annoying, but not much I can do. Gonna ship the head to them this week.

I don’t think the predator should be fully glossy all over, it didn't have that look in the film, but rather a bit more subtle, some areas look super wet, some not so much etc, rather than an even coat of gloss all over.
I agree. I wouldn’t full gloss my Predator. If mine needed to be sealed I’d probably start with a satin finish. If we’re talking paint Gloss is 100% gloss. Semi-Gloss is 50%. Satin is around 30%. The percentages for sealers should be about the same. The Preds I’ve seen that have been glossed look good, but I’d probably start with satin.

https://www.amazon.com/Mod-Podge-CS...sr=8-18#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Thanks for this man. Still undecided if I'm going to gloss mine, it's a bit of a tricky one as I don't think the predator should be fully glossy all over, it didn't have that look in the film, but rather a bit more subtle, some areas look super wet, some not so much etc, rather than an even coat of gloss all over.

By the way, Prime 1 got back to me. Since I got my statue from a local dealer in Australia I gotta send the head to them so they can arrange the swap with Prime 1. A bit annoying, but not much I can do. Gonna ship the head to them this week.
That sucks, a replacement at least is great! Good thing there's multiple heads haha can have something on display in the meantime. I also agree with gloss on specific parts, he's definitely got a wet look in the face, but it seems the trick is to (as a loose, general example) adding gloss to the dark areas and subtle to no close on tan areas, depending on where the location is, the mouth and head in specific spots sre /are very wet looking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-230557_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-230557_Gallery.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210823-230541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-230541_Gallery.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 53
I agree. I wouldn’t full gloss my Predator. If mine needed to be sealed I’d probably start with a satin finish. If we’re talking paint Gloss is 100% gloss. Semi-Gloss is 50%. Satin is around 30%. The percentages for sealers should be about the same. The Preds I’ve seen that have been glossed look good, but I’d probably start with satin.

https://www.amazon.com/Mod-Podge-CS...sr=8-18#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
Agree, starting with a satin sheen is probably a good idea, and add 100% gloss sparingly in areas, to give it a more sweat-like appearance.

That sucks, a replacement at least is great! Good thing there's multiple heads haha can have something on display in the meantime. I also agree with gloss on specific parts, he's definitely got a wet look in the face, but it seems the trick is to (as a loose, general example) adding gloss to the dark areas and subtle to no close on tan areas, depending on where the location is, the mouth and head in specific spots sre /are very wet looking.
I like the suggestion above of starting with satin, and add thin coats of gloss bit by bit in parts of the sculpt to give it more of a sweat appearance.

Decals don’t bother me as long as they are applied correctly.

when I hold my phone, with a pic of the proto, up to my statue, I really see no problems with decales. They look very close to the proto pics… Now the darker brown color change has an effect on the piece for sure and it is lacking some of the great shading that is on the proto. But the decales on the head.. Not an issue IMO.

Using decales might be the best way to make sure all tge 1/3 pieces look closer to the proto.

not sure what has happened with these flaking pieces.
Absolutely agree, my pattern seems to be perfect, just the darker brown, and some shading. Other than that. I have no issues. Other than I had to gloss it.

Agree, starting with a satin sheen is probably a good idea, and add 100% gloss sparingly in areas, to give it a more sweat-like appearance.

I like the suggestion above of starting with satin, and add thin coats of gloss bit by bit in parts of the sculpt to give it more of a sweat appearance.
Yeah that's the process I use, there's even the gloss and super gloss. So satin, gloss and supergloss on the real wet areas. Did a test on the closed mouth head and gloss absolutely makes it pop! Closed mouth is full on gloss, open mouth will be staggered gloss types. I am getting them replaced anyway so might as well test on them.

Yeah that's the process I use, there's even the gloss and super gloss. So satin, gloss and supergloss on the real wet areas. Did a test on the closed mouth head and gloss absolutely makes it pop! Closed mouth is full on gloss, open mouth will be staggered gloss types. I am getting them replaced anyway so might as well test on them.
Can you post pics? Curious to see the results. I think I'm going to use Vallejo satin and gloss varnish. Also, did Prime 1 get back to you yet?

Can you post pics? Curious to see the results. I think I'm going to use Vallejo satin and gloss varnish. Also, did Prime 1 get back to you yet?
Yeah I'll get pics, haven't worked on the open mouth yet but I'll show closed. And yes, primes response was, a lot less yet simpler than I expected haha. I thought we'd have more conversation about the issues and a time line to get replacements but they just said sorry, we're ordering 3 new heads from the factory for you. That's all they said, which is great, but just unsure about any further details.

I'll get better lighting when I'm free, because lighting helps show the gloss, in person it's way more noticeable

Attachments

• 20210824_074648.jpg
    20210824_074648.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210824_074637.jpg
    20210824_074637.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210824_074623.jpg
    20210824_074623.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 86
Also to add to the discussion, they did use dot matrix printing for parts of this statue. The gum veins and the brown spots oddly. (say odd because why not the black too?)

Attachments

• 20210823_230109.jpg
    20210823_230109.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210823_224806.jpg
    20210823_224806.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 309

I used satin in parts and gloss in other parts. Heavier or watered down depending on where I felt it needed more or less shine. Other section received nothing. The less is more approach works and just build up in stages if you need to add more.

Yeah I'll get pics, haven't worked on the open mouth yet but I'll show closed. And yes, primes response was, a lot less yet simpler than I expected haha. I thought we'd have more conversation about the issues and a time line to get replacements but they just said sorry, we're ordering 3 new heads from the factory for you. That's all they said, which is great, but just unsure about any further details.
That's great they are ordering new heads for you. I think it'll take a few weeks.

I'll get better lighting when I'm free, because lighting helps show the gloss, in person it's way more noticeable
Looks good man, I like it.

Also to add to the discussion, they did use dot matrix printing for parts of this statue. The gum veins and the brown spots oddly. (say odd because why not the black too?)
The brown dots are actually part of the decal.

I used satin in parts and gloss in other parts. Heavier or watered down depending on where I felt it needed more or less shine. Other section received nothing. The less is more approach works and just build up in stages if you need to add more.
Sounds great man, got pics? Unless you posted earlier and I missed them. I do like this approach.

That's great they are ordering new heads for you. I think it'll take a few weeks.

Looks good man, I like it.

The brown dots are actually part of the decal.

Sounds great man, got pics? Unless you posted earlier and I missed them. I do like this approach.
On the head? I would have to say that's unlikely. Some of my black dots that flaked off on top of bigger brown pattern leaving the brown pattern intact. It appears they did (for the head) brown dot pattern first, as a separate layer and black decal on the very top. It's easier to see on mine because black dots have lifted off the brown ones haha. Also to add, the hands look printed but have "over hang" that looks like some type of hydro Dipping. Because I'm interested in painting predator skin I'm wildly curious about their exact process, but haven't had time to look into much and doesn't seem to be much out there about decals besides eyes.

Attachments

• 20210824_132131.jpg
    20210824_132131.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210824_132456.jpg
    20210824_132456.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210824_132519.jpg
    20210824_132519.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 61
Gloss example on the hands for those that haven't seen them pages back.

Attachments

• 20210824_132333.jpg
    20210824_132333.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210824_132243.jpg
    20210824_132243.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 67
Back