Prime 1 Big Game Jungle Hunter Predator 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the random airbrushed spots on the hands really so challenging that they need to print them?

On that note, I don't mind the machine printing since the dots are hard to see with the naked eye, but if they're using shortcuts like that, why are the patterns on the rest of the body and head so sloppy? Why is the spacing so jacked up? Just design them to have the right shape on the computer and every single statue from then on will look orders of magnitude better.

Here's something I whipped up to illustrate my point. The pattern on the left was done in about three minutes. The pattern on the right in one. Why do we need decals or printing to achieve the pattern on the right? Anyone can do that just flicking paint on the statue from a real brush.

spot-patterns.jpg

Last edited:
Are the random airbrushed spots on the hands really so challenging that they need to print them?

On that note, I don't mind the machine printing since the dots are hard to see with the naked eye, but if they're using shortcuts like that, why are the patterns on the rest of the body and head so sloppy? Why is the spacing so jacked up? Just design them to have the right shape on the computer and every single statue from then on will look orders of magnitude better.

Here's something I whipped up to illustrate my point. The pattern on the left was done in about three minutes. The pattern on the right in one. Why do we need decals or printing to achieve the pattern on the right? Anyone can do that just flicking paint on the statue from a real brush.

spot-patterns.jpg
One reason is likely skill. Painters cost more than non painters. I've worked in factories as a lead. I got paid more per hour, but knew the process inside and out. Instead of hiring ten of me, they hired 9 new guys and I would get them set up, and they just place on the stickers. (as an example) so the factory likely used random workers. One lead to show them the decal placement process and they just dip & stick. With QC scanning a finished tray for obvious defects. The same factory is likely filled with orders from other companies, so these are likely not getting any special attention. Just one more job for workers to get cleared.

On the head? I would have to say that's unlikely. Some of my black dots that flaked off on top of bigger brown pattern leaving the brown pattern intact. It appears they did (for the head) brown dot pattern first, as a separate layer and black decal on the very top. It's easier to see on mine because black dots have lifted off the brown ones haha. Also to add, the hands look printed but have "over hang" that looks like some type of hydro Dipping. Because I'm interested in painting predator skin I'm wildly curious about their exact process, but haven't had time to look into much and doesn't seem to be much out there about decals besides eyes.
The reason I say the brown is also a decal (could be wrong) as on my head it looked partially chipped/flaked. Also, on the hand for example, that whole skin pattern is a decal. I know this because my statue originally came with one of the spare hands that had a chunk flaked off in the middle right out of the box lol. I had it swapped. Just looked like a paint chip initially, but on closer inspection it wasn't.

I'm also curious on the decal method being used. It doesn't appear to be just a typical 'sticker' like some people are freaking out over. That wouldn't last at all.

Gloss example on the hands for those that haven't seen them pages back.
This is great. Seems to enhance contrast. My only issue with this, is it seems to make the colours darker, including the already dark skin tone. Was this with Modpodge gloss?

One reason is likely skill. Painters cost more than non painters. I've worked in factories as a lead. I got paid more per hour, but knew the process inside and out. Instead of hiring ten of me, they hired 9 new guys and I would get them set up, and they just place on the stickers.
Understood, but why not give them a better decal to work with? Those 9 workers don't have to know how to paint; the one designing the decal (which I assume is done digitally) just needs to take the extra time to make sure the shapes look good. Give the 9 workers a good decal (like the one on the left) and they'll take it from there.

Last edited:
On the head? I would have to say that's unlikely. Some of my black dots that flaked off on top of bigger brown pattern leaving the brown pattern intact. It appears they did (for the head) brown dot pattern first, as a separate layer and black decal on the very top. It's easier to see on mine because black dots have lifted off the brown ones haha. Also to add, the hands look printed but have "over hang" that looks like some type of hydro Dipping. Because I'm interested in painting predator skin I'm wildly curious about their exact process, but haven't had time to look into much and doesn't seem to be much out there about decals besides eyes.

Gloss example on the hands for those that haven't seen them pages back.

For those wondering, the SS Maquette also uses decals. You either cannot see them or you have very hard time seeing them with the naked eye. For example, I had to take a picture of my pred maquette hand and then zoom in on the pic in order to see the dot matrix.

So it would appear that ALL predators get this treatment. What SS did do correctly however is to add some airbrushed dots mixed in to help mask the fact that a decal was used.
The reason I say the brown is also a decal (could be wrong) as on my head it looked partially chipped/flaked. Also, on the hand for example, that whole skin pattern is a decal. I know this because my statue originally came with one of the spare hands that had a chunk flaked off in the middle right out of the box lol. I had it swapped. Just looked like a paint chip initially, but on closer inspection it wasn't.

I'm also curious on the decal method being used. It doesn't appear to be just a typical 'sticker' like some people are freaking out over. That wouldn't last at all.

This is great. Seems to enhance contrast. My only issue with this, is it seems to make the colours darker, including the already dark skin tone. Was this with Modpodge gloss?
Mod Podge will not darken the paint. It's just the gloss bringing "life" back to the dulled, flat paint.
Understood, but why not give them a better decal to work with? Those 9 workers don't have to know how to paint; the one designing the decal (which I assume is done digitally) just needs to take the extra time to make sure the shapes look good. Give the 9 workers a good decal (like the one on the left) and they'll take it from there.
I completely agree. Your example above makes it seem pretty ridiculous that these factories can't get a reasonable dot matrix decal printed up to look more realistic.

All the workers need to do is know how to apply it and SEAL it properly. It's not rocket science.

For those wondering, the SS Maquette also uses decals. You either cannot see them or you have very hard time seeing them with the naked eye. For example, I had to take a picture of my pred maquette hand and then zoom in on the pic in order to see the dot matrix.

So it would appear that ALL predators get this treatment. What SS did do correctly however is to add some airbrushed dots mixed in to help mask the fact that a decal was used.

Mod Podge will not darken the paint. It's just the gloss bringing "life" back to the dulled, flat paint.

I completely agree. Your example above makes it seem pretty ridiculous that these factories can't get a reasonable dot matrix decal printed up to look more realistic.

All the workers need to do is know how to apply it and SEAL it properly. It's not rocket science.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Mod Podge. You're right on the previous SS Maquette using decals too, I mentioned that a few pages back, but yeah they did use paint as well. Not sure on the SWS Maquette though.

Funny about the pattern hey. I don't get why they went with something so basic either lol. Could have easily replicated an airbrush look with a decal.

It's still a nice statue, but I think it could have been spot on with some adjustments.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Mod Podge. You're right on the previous SS Maquette using decals too, I mentioned that a few pages back, but yeah they did use paint as well. Not sure on the SWS Maquette though.

Funny about the pattern hey. I don't get why they went with something so basic either lol. Could have easily replicated an airbrush look with a decal.

It's still a nice statue, but I think it could have been spot on with some adjustments.
Sws Maquette is painted I have it and you can really see that it is.

I agree the hands are a full decal/print/dip method. The head and body appear to be separate layers just by the way I have black dots falling off leaving brown under intact. As for the gloss, it makes the blacks richer for sure. They look darker, the brown doesn't quite do the same. I feel it's a richer looking brown, but in hand it doesn't look darker and I used mod podge super gloss.

I don't have the answer here to be honest. Just my experience in a factory where we had a grinding area and a paint room. One thing I can speculate, knowing a similar environment is CARE. When there is a crunch deadline, some workers just don't care or cut corners etc. I can't tell ya how many times I had to fix a disaster because someone rushed their work for the deadline. And seeing as prime asks for your serial number, I'm pretty confident workers log the parts they do. So I'd bet money, the same worker(s) is responsible for a good portion of the mixtakes. I've had one guy be the reason lots of stuff had to get reworked. Eventually fired him.

So that’s mod podge you used there?

looks great… any other pics of other parts
Only did the hand, when I get time I am practicing satin and two types if gloss to see what style I like best for my replacement heads. I'll post pics when I do that head tho soon

Where at on the body? Anyone do close ups on review? I'm curious to see how they look.
I don’t know where, but that’s what Prime 1 told me in a recent email…

”we use decals for the whole production. Also, the City Predator
and Alien Big Chap, and the Predator Jungle Hunter also use decals.”

Exactly their words.

I don’t know where, but that’s what Prime 1 told me in a recent email…

”we use decals for the whole production. Also, the City Predator
and Alien Big Chap, and the Predator Jungle Hunter also use decals.”

Exactly their words.
As long as the decals are accurate (and applied well), I'm good with that.

This is a great display, I removed the victim from my cart because I'm disappointed with the 1/4 quality as a whole but found some great greenery from Michael's. I'm looking to make the Predator section and a zombie area with greens and brick rumble. Love the look of a display with decor to it.

Attachments

• 20210830_182057.jpg
    20210830_182057.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 49
This is a great display, I removed the victim from my cart because I'm disappointed with the 1/4 quality as a whole but found some great greenery from Michael's. I'm looking to make the Predator section and a zombie area with greens and brick rumble. Love the look of a display with decor to it

It's funny. What i see this pic, you're in Michaels picking up fake plants to make your impressive Predator statue more impressive.

i wonder what craft that lady in the back is working on...Just wanted to share how my mind works :wink1:

Back