Prime 1 Big Game Jungle Hunter Predator 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't even notice the repair. Good job JAWS...and sorry this happened.

FYI, upon further inspection, my open mouth head is actually worse than I thought after seeing it in daylight. Actually got bits flaking off mine. I'm not comfortable with it and will be shooting off an email to Prime 1 shortly, as this shouldn't be happening on such an expensive piece.

Thanks Ronny for bringing this to our attention, I likely would have missed it if it wasn't for your video as I don't use the open mouth head much and didn't give it a proper look in daylight.
How did you get it to flake? Or was it just suddenly doing it?

As for the repair.. Thanks. To the naked eye it’s really a non issue. With super camera close up under harsh lighting you can see where my paint was applied

Oh well. Be careful with these things. That’s obvious but I thought I would say it anyways lol

How did you get it to flake? Or was it just suddenly doing it?

As for the repair.. Thanks. To the naked eye it’s really a non issue. With super camera close up under harsh lighting you can see where my paint was applied

Oh well. Be careful with these things. That’s obvious but I thought I would say it anyways lol
Like Ronny's, the black decal isn't applied correctly on mine in some spots. It never fully settled into the sculpt, it just dried over the sculpt. I never noticed initially as I don't really use that head much. Wasn't until I looked at it under natural light up close that it was very visible, especially when comparing to my closed mouth sculpt which is perfect except for 1 tiny spot. When I touched it, in some spots it literally disintegrated right before my eyes. Cracked and flaked off, and in 2 spots it literally came off in small chunks.

Now because the black pattern is so basic, it's probably an easy repair with black paint and a brush, but I'm worried the rest of it will start flaking. Just shocking that such an expensive piece could be made this way. I'm hoping Prime 1 can sort it out.

I got paranoid and checked out the body all over and even that has the same issue in like 1 or 2 spots. I'm going to order some black paint and will fix those areas properly and then seal it.

For those of you that have applied gloss, can you please share what brand you used?

Do your heads have a wet look at all?
Mine do. If yours don’t I wonder if that gloss acts as a sealant.

it’s so strange that you have three heads that don’t that and I don’t seem to have any issues.

I really hope P1 makes this right for you.

It does seal, so if there's are missing a gloss/satin finish then they were probably never properly sealed, hence why the decals are just flaking off and brittle.

Like Ronny's, the black decal isn't applied correctly on mine in some spots. It never fully settled into the sculpt, it just dried over the sculpt. I never noticed initially as I don't really use that head much. Wasn't until I looked at it under natural light up close that it was very visible, especially when comparing to my closed mouth sculpt which is perfect except for 1 tiny spot. When I touched it, in some spots it literally disintegrated right before my eyes. Cracked and flaked off, and in 2 spots it literally came off in small chunks.

Now because the black pattern is so basic, it's probably an easy repair with black paint and a brush, but I'm worried the rest of it will start flaking. Just shocking that such an expensive piece could be made this way. I'm hoping Prime 1 can sort it out.

I got paranoid and checked out the body all over and even that has the same issue in like 1 or 2 spots. I'm going to order some black paint and will fix those areas properly and then seal it.

Certainly don't just "accept" the statue as is if it's flaking off in a few places as it's then going to be bound to start doing so in more spots as well.

But if you're looking for a good gloss sealer, Mod Podge Gloss is the way to go.

10047538_1.jpg

It does seal, so if there's are missing a gloss/satin finish then they were probably never properly sealed, hence why the decals are just flaking off and brittle.

Certainly don't just "accept" the statue as is if it's flaking off in a few places as it's then going to be bound to start doing so in more spots as well.

But if you're looking for a good gloss sealer, Mod Podge Gloss is the way to go.
Thanks man. Definitely not accepting the head, I want that replaced. Body is fine apart from 2 spots where the decal did not settle into the wrinkles of the skin. I'm simply going to 'push in' the decal into the grooves, paint where it cracks (if it cracks) and then seal it.

Thanks for the tips on the mod podge gloss. I don't want this thing looking too glossy as I don't think it was that way in the film, but I have some gloss varnish on the way and might get some of this mod modge gloss as well, and will apply as needed.

it’s so strange that you have three heads that don’t that and I don’t seem to have any issues.

There's bound to be a good chunk that are done well, with no paint lifts, chips etc. Idk how I got two that are defects unless they do them in groups and the same worker did 20 closed & 20 open and that batch of 20 are all levels of faulty. Haha they'll never say the process so idk. Glad you have great pieces tho, the statue is stunning outside of some flaws.

Oh and nope, my whole predator, body and heads are flat looking. Maybe Satin at best looking. Zero gloss or shine whatsoever

Man that sucks to hear bud, you see what I mean though right! About it laying above the sculpt and just disintegrates eventually. It's shocking they released this way.

Drives me bloody nuts that 1/6 Hot toys figurines have better paint apps than $2K+ statues. Like hell, Hot Toys for the most part seems to use airbrush which is like a pipedream with Prime 1 it seems

This seems to be an isolated incident. I'm really worried about the 1/3 now. :( The 1/3 will have a higher edition size than this one and you know they're going to be using decals. Predators are notoriously difficult to paint and these pieces are basically paint by numbers for the factory workers. Decals are P1's go around to ensure consistency. It's a good strategy, but needs to be applied with care.

Drives me bloody nuts that 1/6 Hot toys figurines have better paint apps than $2K+ statues. Like hell, Hot Toys for the most part seems to use airbrush which is like a pipedream with Prime 1 it seems
Pretty sure the paint jobs on Hot Toys are printed...as in, applied by a machine. It's how they get them all perfect.

I get what you mean though. You spend over $2000 on a statue only to find out they use decals on it lol.

Pretty sure the paint jobs on Hot Toys are printed...as in, applied by a machine. It's how they get them all perfect.

I get what you mean though. You spend over $2000 on a statue only to find out they use decals on it lol.
Whatever they do, it looks better. The body spots look softer, as if airbrushed. Check out the thigh on Hot Toys' Classic Predator. Look how consistent and tight the spacing is between the spots. Look how many there are.

slzqlq06mkb41.jpg

Whether this is truly accurate or not, the quality of the application itself is cleaner and more precise. I don't understand why that level of precision isn't possible on a statue that costs six times as much. For $1700 -- heck, for $3K -- Prime 1 can't be expected to recreate what another company did on a much smaller piece ten years ago?

To put it another way: if Hot Toys were to announce a new Jungle Hunter figure, either in 1/6 or 1/4, I have no doubt its body would have better quality spot work than what Prime 1 has done. I don't even need to see a prototype, it's just something we've come to expect and they've done it several times before. So what's holding Prime 1 back? The cost of polystone? Inexperienced factory painters?

Last edited:
Whatever they do, it looks better. The body spots look softer, as if airbrushed. Check out the thigh on Hot Toys' Classic Predator. Look how consistent and tight the spacing is between the spots. Look how many there are.

Whether this is truly accurate or not, the quality of the application itself is cleaner and more precise. I don't understand why that level of precision isn't possible on a statue that costs six times as much. For $1700 -- heck, for $3K -- Prime 1 can't be expected to recreate what another company did on a much smaller piece ten years ago?

To put it another way: if Hot Toys were to announce a new Jungle Hunter figure, either in 1/6 or 1/4, I have no doubt its body would have better quality spot work than what Prime 1 has done. I don't even need to see a prototype, it's just something we've come to expect and they've done it several times before. So what's holding Prime 1 back? The cost of polystone? Inexperienced factory painters?
I agree with you. The reason I know the paint jobs on Hot Toys are printed is because I remember taking a photo of my Joker figure years ago when I was collecting Hot Toys using a macro lens and in the photo you could actually see the dot matrix print pattern on his make-up. Plus the paint jobs are so consistent...if you line up 10 hot toys next to each other of the same variety, they'll look identical. When chatting to the old PCS owner Jerry, he mentioned the advantage of PVC sculpts is that they all come out identical from the molds so it's possible to apply paint jobs via machines. I don't think these techniques are possible on polystone statues otherwise all manufacturers would do it. Hand painting them wouldn't be an option in today's market. The Cinemaquette was hand-painted and it took a long time for Prime 1 to finish those.

To be fair, Prime 1's decal work is usually good, as it was on the City Hunter and Fugitive, just for whatever reason they didn't do a great job on this one. I still like the statue, but they definitely dropped the ball and it's not as nice as it could have been.

I had no idea they use decals on the whole statue. Never had a Prime piece before.
Pretty disappointing really...
yeah this is my first one as well, although I knew about the decal technique from a friend who has several Prime 1 pieces. It shocked me as well when I first found out lol. To be fair, their decal work is usually pretty good, they just didn't do a great job on the pattern here. It's also a technique Sideshow uses on a few pieces too, just nobody has noticed. I remember seeing some behind the scenes photos of the City Hunter Predator they did and they were using decals on it in some spots.

I had no idea they use decals on the whole statue. Never had a Prime piece before.
Pretty disappointing really...
Decals don’t bother me as long as they are applied correctly.

when I hold my phone, with a pic of the proto, up to my statue, I really see no problems with decales. They look very close to the proto pics… Now the darker brown color change has an effect on the piece for sure and it is lacking some of the great shading that is on the proto. But the decales on the head.. Not an issue IMO.

Using decales might be the best way to make sure all tge 1/3 pieces look closer to the proto.

not sure what has happened with these flaking pieces.

Back