Prime 1 Big Game Jungle Hunter Predator 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the sake of argument (the expression, not actually trying to argue here :lol), one thing that's been bugging me is this. Here's the Big Game cover on which this statue is based:

861073.jpg

And here's one with a more modern coloring job, just to cover all the bases:

7ade2489e0be248c852e0588439cde7f.jpg

The Prime 1 statue doesn't really look like either of these. The skin pattern is completely different, the gauntlet lights are different, the netting is completely different (funnily enough, Prime 1's netting pattern is not only smaller than the film's, but the cover's too), and we never even see the unmasked head in these drawings.

Now, they obviously included the unmasked portraits and film accessories so this would work as a stand-in for the Jungle Hunter, but that brings me to my point: the comics argument doesn't hold water the way Prime 1 probably hoped it would. The prototype reads as a movie statue and the final product reads as a rushed movie statue. If they truly cared about recreating the cover art or making it "stylized", they would have matched the coloring and design more closely. But they didn't. It's just a label to hide behind and a poor one at that.

Heck, look at how the loin cloth billows in the wind on the cover. Look how it's tattered. This is an effect they've done on so many of their Batman statues and they easily could've done it here, but they opted to make it look like the film instead. They swung with the intention of getting a homerun, then backed off to third base and we're acting like they always planned on stopping there.

Objectively it's a nice piece and kills most of the competition out there, but at the same time, it's not what it was marketed to be -- by either film or comics standards. It's ok to enjoy it and still acknowledge that. Prime 1 doesn't need anyone making excuses for them.

good points. this was the main reason i passed on this piece. it was based on the comic but doubled as a Predator 1 statue. Was a little odd for me. The original Big Game cover statue was released it was solely based on the art. then statue was released labeled Big Game but it was a movie statue, but it wasn't a true movie statue, but everyone was buying it because it was a movie statue. it confused me. i see now why Prime 1 made the knee pads so bulky :oops:

Wow. This is by far the worst QC I've ever seen. All 3 of those heads are total junk and I would ask for replacements for all 3 as those decals and paint will only get worse over time. Even if you don't see the paint on the masked head, it can eventually peel and flake off and then you're stuck having to try to repaint it. Just ask for all three. Sorry you have to go through this, that totally sucks.

As for the paint job in total, compared to the prototype it's not even in the same league. I had never scrutinized the prototype before and compared it to the in hand pics, but your comparison shots really highlight how the factory just did something completely different. They didn't even try to replicate the spots as I see zero airbrush work. My guess is that every spot is a decal, which is pretty half assed effort. My SS Maquette has a much better paint job than this, even with it's other flaws. I'm not one to usually harp too much on proto to production issues much as there is a realistic level of expectations that one must have when talking about a custom one or two-off professional painted vs mass production factory work, but it's very glaring here and not something I would expect at this price point.

That's not to say I don't like this piece. I actually think it's pretty awesome, but it could use some tweaks and paint touch ups, starting with a gloss like Matt did.
All three heads are flaking BAD on just touching them to switch them out that I am asking for all three, I've never seen anything like it and definitely got a lemon, but yes it appears ALL black dots and the brown dots are decals. Not a stencil. You can actually see the decals lifting, and rolling up, a stencil wouldn't do that. Even if the paint wasn't flaking, my option is pretty high about this piece walking into the room, it's just stunning. But the skin itself, in comparison, is just not even an attempt. We can all speculate until the time comes, but if they don't hear the criticism then what's to think they won't do this again on the 1/3! That would be crushing, again, because it's not even 80% of the look. It's a differnt look altogether. More like a comic or cartoon look.

For the sake of argument (the expression, not actually trying to argue here :lol), one thing that's been bugging me is this. Here's the Big Game cover on which this statue is based:

861073.jpg

And here's one with a more modern coloring job, just to cover all the bases:

7ade2489e0be248c852e0588439cde7f.jpg

The Prime 1 statue doesn't really look like either of these. The skin pattern is completely different, the gauntlet lights are different, the netting is completely different (funnily enough, Prime 1's netting pattern is not only smaller than the film's, but the cover's too), and we never even see the unmasked head in these drawings.

Now, they obviously included the unmasked portraits and film accessories so this would work as a stand-in for the Jungle Hunter, but that brings me to my point: the comics argument doesn't hold water the way Prime 1 probably hoped it would. The prototype reads as a movie statue and the final product reads as a rushed movie statue. If they truly cared about recreating the cover art or making it "stylized", they would have matched the coloring and design more closely. But they didn't. It's just a label to hide behind and a poor one at that.

Heck, look at how the loin cloth billows in the wind on the cover. Look how it's tattered. This is an effect they've done on so many of their Batman statues and they easily could've done it here, but they opted to make it look like the film instead. They swung with the intention of getting a homerun, then backed off to third base and we're acting like they always planned on stopping there.

Objectively it's a nice piece and kills most of the competition out there, but at the same time, it's not what it was marketed to be -- by either film or comics standards. It's ok to enjoy it and still acknowledge that. Prime 1 doesn't need anyone making excuses for them.
Still my point is one person received a bad statue, I have not heard others complain. That was my point. Everyone would love the prototype. But that isn't possible. I wish it was!! But your going off pics. You don't own it. So, case closed. Just order the 1/3rd. Ill have two great statues. One movie accurate one unique af!!!

All three heads are flaking BAD on just touching them to switch them out that I am asking for all three, I've never seen anything like it and definitely got a lemon, but yes it appears ALL black dots and the brown dots are decals. Not a stencil. You can actually see the decals lifting, and rolling up, a stencil wouldn't do that. Even if the paint wasn't flaking, my option is pretty high about this piece walking into the room, it's just stunning. But the skin itself, in comparison, is just not even an attempt. We can all speculate until the time comes, but if they don't hear the criticism then what's to think they won't do this again on the 1/3! That would be crushing, again, because it's not even 80% of the look. It's a differnt look altogether. More like a comic or cartoon look.
Dude, any response yet? That is just by far crap!! I mean I be angry af. I had some minor issues a tree broke and that was about it. I didn't bother telling them. Even though I should have. As long as the statue was good I was fine. But you deserve so much more.

I can't imagine your disappointment. Did you order direct?

I agree that they have to do better on the skin on the 1/3. It will be a PR nightmare if they don't as this statue is being billed as the ultimate be-all-end-all of Predator collectibles. It will be scrutinized down the the most minute details with everyone looking for the most screen accuracy possible.

I really hope they can deliver on that one. It's literally the sole reason I started collecting in the first place.

Hey guys, yes I did order direct from Prime 1 Studio and I am waiting for a replay. Here is a link to the unlisted video I sent them. Please let me know if I sound too whiny or maybe the video doesn't show the issue clearly, idk but yes I am angry. I do feel it's so obvious a defect I can't see them trying to burn me. That is the only thing that could really set me off is if they do not replace them and instead refund a few hundred. That would be unacceptable to me. Look at the video, and please come back here to reply so I get input. Here, enjoy my pain lol it is gutting

Just watched it and yeah its unacceptable man. You can literally hear the heartbreak in your voice, especially when the paint is literally falling off around 3:27. I hope they replace the whole statue for you tbh. Especially now that you have privately told me the body is starting to flake aswell...

Oh at around 3:27 in the video paint literally flakes off, middle of the head, ON CAMERA. lol
I'm so sorry to see this happening to yours. It's painful to watch the entire clip, almost like peeling tape slowly off a bad wound. I hope you get a response soon and a complete replacement, with zero problems, expressed shipped and a BIG apology from Prime 1. It's ok to vent, heck it's ok to go nuclear mate after being sent this ugly MF lemon. That's what this community is for, we look our for one another. Statues are meant to suspend our reality, even for a second, not to smack reality back into our faces. It'll be a destroy and replace, which is not a nice experience at all. We're here to support, wishing you get your replacement asap.

Thanks for the video. I wouldn’t be happy with those heads. The sticker applications definitely look to be messed up, especially around the crown. Reminds me of window tint that is installed with air bubbles. I think the cracking would be a non-negotiable for me. It’s not only a visible indication of a poor install, but there is touch and a sound to reinforce the lousy install. All that would be left is it having smell and taste, sorry bad joke, but you get the point. If you don’t get a replacement I’d probably put a pin sized hole I the decal, that has air underneath it, POP it, push it down and see if you can go over it with a sealer after the air is out of it, which should eliminate the popping sound.

even with the flaws, from a normal viewing distance I don’t think these heads look bad. I’m not saying I would want these heads with the flaws on my new $2000 statue, but they still look pretty good IMO. The macro shots showing the mandible seam and the paint overspray on top of the decals looks a little bad, but it only looks really bad with the 2.5X zoomed up close pics.

If I had this piece and the patters decals start to fall off here and there, I’d do a little touch up which should blend right in. Then I’d put a nice little sealer to lock everything in place. I see some members are doing a semi gloss or gloss coat for the wet look. Those decals ain’t coming off after that.

sorry you had to wait to long only to be disappointed. Even with the flaws its still a badass statue.

I'm so sorry to see this happening to yours. It's painful to watch the entire clip, almost like peeling tape slowly off a bad wound. I hope you get a response soon and a complete replacement, with zero problems, expressed shipped and a BIG apology from Prime 1. It's ok to vent, heck it's ok to go nuclear mate after being sent this ugly MF lemon. That's what this community is for, we look our for one another. Statues are meant to suspend our reality, even for a second, not to smack reality back into our faces. It'll be a destroy and replace, which is not a nice experience at all. We're here to support, wishing you get your replacement asap.
Thanks, I am actually almost stunned a bit. I mean we're talking about a product that cost the price of a used car lol. It'll all come down to how Prime 1 responds to the clear defect. I will say though, for fellow collectors that got this statue. PLEASE, just do a slow, long careful once over on your piece. If you see some of the black & brown "spot pattern blend" that at all looks like some is faded, discolored, has these small little cracks, whatever. JUST LOOK. You don't want to blow this off, and in a year notice the hands, back or damn forehead is flaking off. LOOK over your pieces, some of it looked fine until you really look and then you'll notice.

Thanks for the video. I wouldn’t be happy with those heads. The sticker applications definitely look to be messed up, especially around the crown. Reminds me of window tint that is installed with air bubbles. I think the cracking would be a non-negotiable for me. It’s not only a visible indication of a poor install, but there is touch and a sound to reinforce the lousy install. All that would be left is telling smell and taste, sorry bad joke, but you get the point. If you don’t get a replacement I’d probably put a pin sized hole I the decal, that has air underneath it, POP it and see if you can go over it with a sealer after the air is out of it, which should eliminate the popping sound.

even with the flaws, from a normal viewing distance I don’t think these heads look bad. I’m not saying I would want these heads with the flaws on my new $2000 statue, but they still look pretty good IMO. The macro shots showing the mandible seam and the paint overspray on top of the decals looks a little bad, but it only looks really bad with the 2.5X zoomed up close pics.

If I had this piece and the patters decals start to fall off here and there, I’d do a little touch up which should blend right in. Then I’d put a nice little sealer to lock everything in place. I see some members are doing a semi gloss or gloss coat for the wet look. Those decals ain’t coming off after that.

sorry you had to wait to long only to be disappointed. Even with the flaws its still a badass statue.
I started learning how to paint, just to paint predator skin as my final goal. Just cause I love it, haha, I still have a ways to go but I'll tell ya right now there is no "letting air out" and just seal it with some touch up. The paint is so brittle, it's turning into dust type of problem, not something that is manageable. It's not a few spots each heads, we're talking hundreds of spots on both unmasked head. I've touched up numerous collectibles over the last few years, including dozens of full repaints but we're talking about a close to $2k statue. There shouldn't be any "from a distance it still looks good" with that price point.

No excuses, a 2k statue should look good from all angles and distances. Any touch ups should not be a requirement, but an additional personal preference e.g the glossing.

Even a $10 toy doesn't flake and crack upon receipt. There's no way to justify this lemon, prime 1 royally screwed up on this one and anything less than a complete replacement with expressed shipping would be unacceptable.

No excuses, a 2k statue should look good from all angles and distances. Any touch ups should not be a requirement, but an additional personal preference e.g the glossing.

Even a $10 toy doesn't flake and crack upon receipt. There's no way to justify this lemon, prime 1 royally screwed up on this one and anything less than a complete replacement with expressed shipping would be unacceptable.
Fully agree and I already added gloss to the hands and WOW does it not only make a difference but leaves me questioning prime as a brand for skipping on that step.

Hey guys, yes I did order direct from Prime 1 Studio and I am waiting for a replay. Here is a link to the unlisted video I sent them. Please let me know if I sound too whiny or maybe the video doesn't show the issue clearly, idk but yes I am angry.
You have every right to be. This is cheap garbage. Yes, most people didn't have your problem, but this is evidence that the processes Prime 1 use are not always premium and their feet should be held to the fire for it. Makes you wonder how it'll hold up in time or where else they cut corners.

Shoot, that crusty seam on the side of the mandible at 6:07 is also pretty frustrating. These things don't happen on 1/6 figures that cost five times less. Is someone a hater for pointing that out? Do they need to actually own the piece to be able to notice and comment on that? Pfft.

I hope they get back to you with good news. They ought to replace the whole body if that's starting to show signs of flaking as well. Best of luck.

we're talking about a close to $2k statue. There shouldn't be any "from a distance it still looks good" with that price point.
1eb8a76e327f44b48789e88bb1f8c4f5.gif

Might not be a bad idea for a bunch of us to message Prime 1 and stress to them the importance of not cutting corners on the 1/3 version. I don't know about you guys, but I don't mind losing a $300 NRD if it means avoiding a $3K disappointment.

Last edited:
Hey guys, yes I did order direct from Prime 1 Studio and I am waiting for a replay. Here is a link to the unlisted video I sent them. Please let me know if I sound too whiny or maybe the video doesn't show the issue clearly, idk but yes I am angry. I do feel it's so obvious a defect I can't see them trying to burn me. That is the only thing that could really set me off is if they do not replace them and instead refund a few hundred. That would be unacceptable to me. Look at the video, and please come back here to reply so I get input. Here, enjoy my pain lol it is gutting

Thanks for the video. Mine had that problem in a couple of small spots, but not to the extent of yours. I literally just pushed it in and it was fine. Nothing flaked off except a tiny spot on one of my unmasked heads right on the black dot which I'll just touch up with black paint. Yours is next level bad though. I thought you might have been exaggerating a bit but nah, it's pretty terrible.

There is also too much overspray on yours and while they all have the seam on the open mandible, yours seems more pronounced for some reason, unless it's just the photo.

I definitely don't like the decal method of applying the pattern but they all do it, even SS did it on their Predator Maquette which I also owned. Its less obvious on that though.

If you compare this directly to the prototype then yeah, it does come across as disappointing, but on its own it's pretty amazing still. You'll never get hand airbrushed skin paint on production pieces. Even the 1:3 that everyone is drooling over will have decals. No way they will be hand painting all of those.

Thanks for the video. Mine had that problem in a couple of small spots, but not to the extent of yours. I literally just pushed it in and it was fine. Nothing flaked off except a tiny spot on one of my unmasked heads right on the black dot which I'll just touch up with black paint. Yours is next level bad though. I thought you might have been exaggerating a bit but nah, it's pretty terrible.

There is also too much overspray on yours and while they all have the seam on the open mandible, yours seems more pronounced for some reason, unless it's just the photo.

I definitely don't like the decal method of applying the pattern but they all do it, even SS did it on their Predator Maquette which I also owned. Its less obvious on that though.

If you compare this directly to the prototype then yeah, it does come across as disappointing, but on its own it's pretty amazing still. You'll never get hand airbrushed skin paint on production pieces. Even the 1:3 that everyone is drooling over will have decals. No way they will be hand painting all of those.
The SWS and CM had airbrushed spots. Not very many and the spacing wasn't tight, but the attempt was made. Surely over a decade later, they can use the same technique but better.

Maybe I'm being naive, but it would be nice to know that production quality hasn't plateaued in this industry, especially when prices continue to rise.

The SWS and CM had airbrushed spots. Not very many and the spacing wasn't tight, but the attempt was made. Surely over a decade later, they can use the same technique but better.

Maybe I'm being naive, but it would be nice to know that production quality hasn't plateaued in this industry, especially when prices continue to rise.
I was talking about the more recent Maquette, not the SWS one. We all know old school Sideshow paint jobs were great, not the case anymore.

Rising production costs has meant shortcuts taken on paint jobs on statues. With the volume of statues being produced now and the cost, it makes more sense for these companies to use a decal for stuff like this because 1. Its easier to achieve consistency and 2. Its much quicker.

I too would like air brushed paint, but I'm not expecting to see it in modern Predator statues.

Might not be a bad idea for a bunch of us to message Prime 1 and stress to them the importance of not cutting corners on the 1/3 version. I don't know about you guys, but I don't mind losing a $300 NRD if it means avoiding a $3K disappointment.
That's a great idea, I'll be doing that. Strength in numbers. In fact I'd also be asking them to gloss it, just like they did with their prototype, even if only a little, not only does it look much better, but ensures no flaking will occur.

Side note, I checked one of my unmasked heads after Ronny's video much more closely, and this issue appears on mine in more places than I thought. Its not too bad and only really noticeable when you look really close, but it's there. Its disappointing, but I'm willing to bet most of these will have that problem to some extent if you look really closely.

Back