Petition for a HT Johnny Cash

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy Johnny Cash?

• Ofcourse. C'mon Hot Toys!!

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • No, I wouldn't.

Votes: 42 58.3%

• Total voters
You obviously weren't alive in the 60s when Beatlemania was a global phenomenon. It was utter madness everywhere they went. It had never happened like that before, even with Elvis. They changed it all and paved the way for the rest. Michael Jackson was only surfing on the Beatles' coattails.
Though it's true I wasn't alive in the 60s, I know people from Asia and Eastern Europe who know of the Beatles, but think of MJ as an icon unlike any other musician. Of course, during the Cold War, I'm not sure how far the Beatlemania could have had a chance to invade some of those places, whereas MJ came in during the tail end of that conflict and he was touring and making albums after the wall fell. Maybe that accounts for some of this.

I know there are non-Western members here. If they are reading this, maybe they can chime in if they care to.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!! Michael is known world wide and is relevant. The only other likely possibility and likely to happen after or while they are working on the many looks of Michael is Elvis

MJ might have 4 figures. he don't have no movie.

Completely ignorant statement pal!-

20100525013840-michael-jackson-s-this-is-it-poster-02.jpg

The-Wiz-0783233493-L.jpg

Captain-Eo.jpg

Honorable mention for the cameo!-

200px-Men_in_Black_II_Poster.jpg

Guys lets just focus on wether or not Johnny Cash is worth a place in the HT ranks of collectable figures!

And Johnny Cash happened before the Beatles happened so in a way he paved way for them ;)

Though it's true I wasn't alive in the 60s, I know people from Asia and Eastern Europe who know of the Beatles, but think of MJ as an icon unlike any other musician. Of course, during the Cold War, I'm not sure how far the Beatlemania could have had a chance to invade some of those places, whereas MJ came in during the tail end of that conflict and he was touring and making albums after the wall fell. Maybe that accounts for some of this.

I know there are non-Western members here. If they are reading this, maybe they can chime in if they care to.

Beatles is big here, though MJ seems to have a stronger following with the later generations. However, Beatles had been an influence with some of our local bands.

As for the topic, I still think that Elvis will be made before Johnny Cash. If ever Cash will be made, I won't be surprised if it became a US exclusive figure.

BTW, M in M Icon seems to stand for Movies or Music, depending on what befits the figure. Here's what we have in the M Icon Series:

MIS01 James Dean (Cowboy Version)
MIS02 Marlon Brando (1950s Version)
MIS03 Wong Ka Kui (Memorial Auction version)
MIS04 Wong Ka Kui (Beyond 1993 Rock 'n Roll album version)
MIS05 Wong Ka Kui (Beyond 1992 Live Performance version)
MIS06 Michael Jackson (Billy Jean/History Tour version)
MIS07 James Dean (Red Jacket Version)
MIS08 Michael Jackson (Billy Jean version)
MIS09 Michael Jackson (Thriller)

What I'm not sure is what MIS08 really is. HT's website says it's the Billy Jean one, but other sources say that's MIS06.

From what I know, MIS03-05 were exclusive to HK, so I won't be surprised if a Johnny Cash figure will be exclusive to NA.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
:slap

You're kidding right??? :monkey3

Definatly a valid opinion. MJ had a huge influence on music, fashion, dance, music videos, ect that still is prominant to this day. He is still cool and relevant.

The Beatles were big sure, but I cant really think of much out there today that can trace its influence back to them. They never danced. They sure as hell werent fashion trendsetters. And thier movies are dated as hell.

Even thier style of rock and roll doesnt resemble the classic rock sound we are familliar with today; sounding more like light folk music (im ignoring thier acid rock stuff because that all sucked). It was more the Rolling Stones that invented rock and roll as we know it.

Last edited:
Huge pass. A great musician and icon, but I definitely don't need a figure of him.

Definatly a valid opinion. MJ had a huge influence on music, fashion, dance, music videos, ect that still is prominant to this day. He is still cool and relevant.

The Beatles were big sure, but I cant really think of much out there today that can trace its influence back to them. They never danced. They sure as hell werent fashion trendsetters. And thier movies are dated as hell.

Even thier style of rock and roll doesnt resemble the classic rock sound we are familliar with today; sounding more like light folk music (im ignoring thier acid rock stuff because that all sucked). It was more the Rolling Stones that invented rock and roll as we know it.

^^:goodpost:...& there you have it :clap

....& to add to that, thats not even including the countless groundbreaking records MJ broke and when I say records I dont just mean album sales. Where talking countless racial barriers and philantrohpy acheivements that are unheard of.

You guys are seriously basing your statements about MJ solely on your feelings regarding his personal life instead of PURE SOLID facts & I think thats where these arguments always get nasty & ignorant.

As Shadow mentioned MJ had a profound influence on all of those things mentioned (music, dance, videos, fashion etc.). Not to mention his music has been adored by various generations of people of all races & backgrounds. Im sure there arent many people on this earth that cannot name you at least one MJ song. Can you say the same for The Beatles, Elvis, or Cash? Dont think so.

I challenge anyone to go on the street & ask 5-10 random teens (or adults) of all races to name a song by those guys. I gurantee only about 3(if that) will be able to name one. Now ask those same people to name an MJ tune. Get my drift?

And if The Beatles or Cash were so much bigger or influencial than Michael, were was George, Lennon, Cash, & Elvis's month long TV specials about their passing? Specials that featured individuals from ALL over the world & artists honoring him from almost every musical genre. Hell, month long? Its over a year later and Im still finding some type of tribute to Jackson on TV in someway shape or form on a regular basis; whether its from another artist, fan or just a music station playing his videos back-to-back.

Im not trying to say The Beatles or Cash arent legends & Im definitely not trying to disrespect their legacy in anyway. Its just that some of you are really thinking with a judgmental & rude mindset while basing your feelings off of total favoritism as opposed to reality.

I like Cash very much, but I don't think he lends himself very well to figures and such things, irregardless of arguments of his "popularity" or whether he "paved the way," etc, etc. Such arguments are pointless, I think, just nonsensical. The same applies for Bob Dylan and a great many others that have been undeniably influential or "huge" at points.

You need to think really about how exactly these people are popular/big rather than just that they are popular or once were. Just because someone has fans or an influence, etc, doesn't mean that today they automatically have an audience that's interested in a 150-something-dollar figures of them. Within those already collecting 1/6 figure, it of course may hold appeal, but within the general audience for the musician I'd say it's usually a completely different story.

I say bring it on. Johnny Cash Kicks Ass.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/N5Ts4M3irWM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/N5Ts4M3irWM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Rm_qAWFzHh8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Rm_qAWFzHh8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Beatles were enormous all over the world. They were particularly huge in the USSR and were credited with starting the relaxation of restrictions on external cultural influences there. And of course they were absolutely mega huge in the US.

Seriously instead of getting your history from a dollies message board why not do a bit of research and find out the truth. Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_influence_on_popular_culture

or here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Beatles%27_record_sales

If you genuinely think Michael Jackson was more of an influence on popular culture than the Beatles you're sadly misinformed. As far as I can see the only major influence he's had is to make parents more careful who they leave their kids with.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/2uC8LSV-j2g?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/2uC8LSV-j2g?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Rolling Stones were watered down second-handers who never would have had a career if they didn't have The Beatles to follow. This is exactly what I'd expect to hear from someone who sees MJ's contribution to culture as profound. In fact, it was just a reflection of the weaker values of the world in the wake of the orgy of non-talent and degeneracy that was the late 70's.

The Beatles' contribution to music was revolutionary on par with Beethoven. They were probably the greatest melodists since Mozart, and the energy they brought to pop music was greater than anything anyone had ever dreamed of (certainly more than Jackson ever did). The last years of their career (starting with Sgt. Pepper's) produced the most original, culturally significant, and intellectually challenging songs ever. They were so far ahead that people today still don't get it.

Classic rock is a slow kid's Beatles. Notice how most of it came from the American South. :lol

^^:goodpost:...& there you have it :clap

....& to add to that, thats not even including the countless groundbreaking records MJ broke and when I say records I dont just mean album sales. Where talking countless racial barriers and philantrohpy acheivements that are unheard of.

Philanthropy is the best way to squander a fortune. If he wanted to do something good with his money, he should have invested it in up and coming industrial, technological, and medical revolutionaries, but he (like most) seemed to think that the way you solve the world's problems was by dressing wounds and holding hands. Perhaps, he just felt guilty for his wealth and thought that sucking up to the poor was the only way to find absolution. Who knows. What I know is that anyone can throw money away. The limits of his imagination were laid bare by the fact that charity was the best he could do.

AStar said:
You guys are seriously basing your statements about MJ solely on your feelings regarding his personal life instead of PURE SOLID facts & I think thats where these arguments always get nasty & ignorant.

I have no opinons regarding his personal life, other than that it resembeled that of Old World royalty, and appeared to be just as vapid.

AStar said:
As Shadow mentioned MJ had a profound influence on all of those things mentioned (music, dance, videos, fashion etc.). Not to mention his music has been adored by various generations of people of all races & backgrounds. Im sure there arent many people on this earth that cannot name you at least one MJ song. Can you say the same for The Beatles, Elvis, or Cash? Dont think so.

No, because the world's attention span has been reduced to the range of a puppy on crack. Custom designed for appreciation of music as eclectic and derivative as MJ's.

AStar said:
I challenge anyone to go on the street & ask 5-10 random teens (or adults) of all races to name a song by those guys. I gurantee only about 3(if that) will be able to name one. Now ask those same people to name an MJ tune. Get my drift?

...whose attention spans make the puppy's look like Einstein's. Catch my drift?

AStar said:
And if The Beatles or Cash were so much bigger or influencial than Michael, were was George, Lennon, Cash, & Elvis's month long TV specials about their passing? Specials that featured individuals from ALL over the world & artists honoring him from almost every musical genre. Hell, month long? Its over a year later and Im still finding some type of tribute to Jackson on TV in someway shape or form on a regular basis; whether its from another artist, fan or just a music station playing his videos back-to-back.

MJ wasn't a musician. He was a celebrity. The ultimate celebrity. Celebrity attracts those with nothing better to do than adulate; people who need something to give the lives they've turned into paeans to mediocrity a semblence of worth.

AStar said:
Im not trying to say The Beatles or Cash arent legends & Im definitely not trying to disrespect their legacy in anyway. Its just that some of you are really thinking with a judgmental & rude mindset while basing your feelings off of total favoritism as opposed to reality.

How are you supposed to determine the quality of an artist without judging? Are you suggesting that you can have any grasp of the reality without making discriminations against a standard of value?

The reality is that MJ was a man who catered to trends on a global scale. He was an empty shell begging for acceptance, and he got it. Cash, The Beatles, and many others were visionaries and creators. Jackson was a cipher.

Actually, both the Beatles and MJ have been influential. My dad's a Beatles fanatic, so I grew up listening to their music. Later generations, however, recognize MJ more. Is that a bad thing? No. Does that demean the Beatles' legacy in music? No. they're both icons in their own right. I'm not much of a MJ fan since I'm more of a ballad guy, and Beatles' style of music fit right with me. But I can also understand how other people regard MJ the same way.

Back