People taking video gaming a little too seriously.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I got fat I kicked ass at football. I sucked at hockey though...couldn't skate for crap. Was pretty good at soccer too. I had great reflexes as a goalie.

I miss those days! Wish i could go back, try harder, it the hole more! Lay the spank down!! And beat the hell outta that ^^^^!!:cool:

And to them you'd be wrong, but like you said, it's all opinion.

And the world keeps turning.

Agrred. They can call me wrong if they like. I have no issue with it. I just find in funny that anyone would call a dog show "sports".

I must say that anyone that considers gaming a sport has too much time on their hands. That is probably not all they have in their hands either. :horror

Video games are exactly that....games. Not even close to being a "sport".

But they call the Olympics.....Games not sports. When they say watch the olympics, they say the Olympic games. Therefore they are not "all" considered sports either.

Main Entry: sport
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 a: a source of diversion : recreation b (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport[2]

Getting up and playing Basketball, Football, Hockey, Tennis, Soccer ( the list goes on ) is IMO thought of as playing "sports".

And to add - Poker is not a sport either IMO.

Actually Kit.... The above are actually athletic competitions or events. Referring to them as sports is a relatively modern term given to these events, hence by your definition bullriding would not be considered a "sport" as they indeed sit on their ass, as well as nascar, since you essentially sit on your ass and push buttons as you ride around in an oval for the most part. But VG's should not be considered the same as these, but they are competitive in nature and should be accepted and categorized with poker, and other forms of competitive events like chess.
But as you said and I agree the line is blurring rapidly. Also CNN released that gamers are actually just as if not healthier and fitter than nongamers. And a surgeon who plays games is less likely to make an error in surgery than a nongaming surgeon. they recommend you ask your surgeon if he is a gamer since his hand eye coordination is better.

Last edited:
I just don't agree dude. I respect your opinion, but IMO "sports" generally requires physical activity while in competition with other players. Video games may have competition with other players, but I'd never call them "sports". It's my opinion that people who do have lost the concept of what sports are.

I just don't agree dude. I respect your opinion, but IMO "sports" generally requires physical activity while in competition with other players. Video games may have competition with other players, but I'd never call them "sports". It's my opinion that people who do have lost the concept of what sports are.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

Wikipedia said:
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.
List of Sports...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

...which includes the following...

Electronic Sports

<DL><DD>Main article: Electronic Sports

</DD></DL>Consists of video games programmed with random/real-time physics engine environments. Requires multiple player competition based on a balance of experience, intelligence and hand-eye coordination. The most widely accepted professional electronic sports league is Major League Gaming which events are covered by ESPN. <SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP>
...and...

Card Games

<DL><DD>Main article: Card Games

</DD></DL>See List of card games

Speedcubing

Strategy Board Games

The term "sport" is sometimes extended to encompass all competitive activities, regardless of the level of physical activity. Both games of skill and motor sport exhibit many of the characteristics of physical sports, such as skill, sportsmanship, and at the highest levels, even professional sponsorship associated with physical sports. Air sports, billiards, bridge, chess, motorcycle racing, and powerboating are all recognized as sports by the International Olympic Committee with their world governing bodies represented in the Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations.

Lonnie,

People can post as many links as they like where nerds have come up with a system to make it look like playing a video game is playing "sports". It's not and it's sad that people would think of it as such.

All this is, is a system to make fat kids with no coordination feel like they are good at "sports".

I mean think about it. When someone asks you "Do you play sports".....would you reply "Yes, I just beat Force Unleashed on the 360 last week" and not expect someone to laugh at you? :rotfl

No but if you tell someone you just won a Gears of War tournament for a prize of 25k, they may not be so quick to laugh then.
Also we actually do agree. VG's should not be considered a "sport" as you refer to it. But they should be accepted as a competitive event along with card games, board games etc, where people can and do make millions playing professionally. That is all I am saying. They should not be included with football, baseball, basketball etc. Can we agree on that?

No but if you tell someone you just won a Gears of War tournament for a prize of 25k, they may not be so quick to laugh then.
Also we actually do agree. VG's should not be considered a "sport" as you refer to it. But they should be accepted as a competitive event along with card games, board games etc, where people can and do make millions playing professionally. That is all I am saying. They should not be included with football, baseball, basketball etc. Can we agree on that?

If it were me that won I'd feel like I won a prize for playing a game, but not a sporting event. That's just me.

I do accept them as competitive events for sure, but just not sports.

What sport do you play. I am a level 20 mage lizard person from the land of World of Warcraft. :lol

If it were me that won I'd feel like I won a prize for playing a game, but not a sporting event. That's just me.

I do accept them as competitive events for sure, but just not sports.

:lol ooohh you are a tough one. Is debating a sport? :lol
ok so we are agreed then that
A. VG's are a competitive event and should be allowed to be recognized as such.
But
B. Are not to be categorized as Athletic sports such as Football, basketball etc....

:lol ooohh you are a tough one. Is debating a sport? :lol
ok so we are agreed then that
A. VG's are a competitive event and should be allowed to be recognized as such.
But
B. Are not to be categorized as Athletic sports such as Football, basketball etc....

No, debating is not a sport either :lol

I put video games in the same category as board games and such.

What sport do you play. I am a level 20 mage lizard person from the land of World of Warcraft. :lol

You have entered into a whole new realm my friend. I won't touch the MMO aspect of gaming.
IMO MMO's are social networks with a graphical overlay, they are in no way meant to be competitive.

We were discussing online MP such as FPS's. May the :angelsmil be with you if the MMO'ers hop on you.

Back