Paypals "New" 21 day $$$ freeze policy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently sold $1950 worth of stuff on eBay (8-10 items to different people). I always transfer the money from paypal account to my checking just in case I get hacked and I like to use my credit card for the rewards and to back me up if paypal pulls some crap. :mad:

Well the money is frozen from me for 21 days to ensure no one complains about delivery and issues. I called Paypal about it and they said this has always been going on it just finally is applying to everyone. In a business perspective understand why they are doing it BUT it is so unfair to people. I see people selling stuff to pay bills. Well those people now have to wait 21 days and then wait another 4 days for the transfer then they can pay their bill or whatever. :mad:

Is this happening to others?

What sucks is there are now alternative ways of paying on eBay without cash or money order!!! :mad:

Its like working 80 hours and getting paid every 2 weeks. Well now its like work 80 hours and wait 3 weeks after that to get paid. F'd up eBay and Paypal.

PayPal balance: $1,945.57 USD Currency converter
Available balance in USD (primary): $0.00 USD
Pending balance: $1,945.57 USD
Total balance (including available and pending amounts): $1,945.57 USD Hide
Currency Available Pending Total
USD (Primary) $0.00 USD $1,945.57 USD $1,945.57 USD

This was a policy put into effect like two years ago. I had to call them and pitch a fit.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me after I sold my SS Star Wars collection. It doesn't matter if you have 1 feedback or 1000 they put a hold on the funds & keep them in a high interest account; that they then benefit from.

So I'm done with PayPal & eBay. eBay because it's too easy for buyers to take advantage of you.

This happened to me as well. It took a single phone call to PayPal's customer service (don't use ebaY's CS - they're outsourced and can't even read the "what to do" books correctly) and a message through ebay to get the buyer to release funds. No funds = no shipping since you don't have proof whether or not the payee is verified until the transaction clears. You guys also might wanna upgrade your PayPal accounts to merchant accounts. There's all around, less hassle.

This happened to me the first time I sold 2 items on ebay. I thought this is how it went when you sold stuff on ebay. But now I can get instant payment. But yea when that happened I was pretty mad too. That sux bro

I still dont know why Amazon doesn't just start an auction site to crap on ebay.

I think some buyers think it's still 1985 because when you quote shipping estimates, they think you're scamming them. It would appear that people haven;t noticed the rising costs of gaz lately.

Everything I'm reading about ebay lately is basically telling me to avoid (as a seller). Guess I'll just lower my prices here. So far I haven't had any holds on money, been able to use it straight away although I do at least wait till I get confirmation of delivery and no immediate complaint from the buyer.

I have had an Ebay account for years. I have never had a hold placed on funds being transferred, is there a trigger which causes the hold?
Seems like another way for ebay to make more money..like raising the fees charged for shipping... 8(

Paypal has screwed me over so many times in the 7-8ish years I have used them its almost funny. They have locked payments to me for no reason, held my whole account twice ( I am talking about $1000's ). Once they locked my account down, which I had around 5k in there. All because I sold a Wii, this was after the buyer received it and was happy with the transaction ( left positive feedback ). This was 100% paypal doing it and had nothing to do with the buyer at all. I called them up and cursed out the manager that I could get a hold of, after I was told repeatedly that I would have to wait for a review committee to look at my account. Yup, that was not going to fly with me and I got them to change my account over on the spot.

I would not be surprised if I get a locked up account on down the road, just recently they froze my debit card because I made a purchase of $400....ive made similar purchases many times in the last year. As much money as Ive paid them people over the years and as many verified transactions as I've done, BY NOW they should trust me to some extent.

All I am to them is a number, does not matter what you have done in the past or how much money you make for them. They will screw you over at the drop of a hat for no reason at all. Sadly I am forced to use them if I want to sell on ebay and I sell on ebay as partial income, so really I just deal with it or find some other way to sell online. I think I've been saved some hassle by making my account a business account.

I think some buyers think it's still 1985 because when you quote shipping estimates, they think you're scamming them. It would appear that people haven;t noticed the rising costs of gaz lately.

Yep, people think that you can ship a package for nothing.

Everything I'm reading about ebay lately is basically telling me to avoid (as a seller). Guess I'll just lower my prices here. So far I haven't had any holds on money, been able to use it straight away although I do at least wait till I get confirmation of delivery and no immediate complaint from the buyer.

This is best route to go, sellers have no rights on eBay now. The system is geared toward the buyers.

There was something like that started a while back. You had to wait 21 days for funds to clear or get positive feedback, or you could put in the tracking number after you ship and once it gets marked as delivered it would clear. Lately though when I've used it, it's all good the day after I received the payment, so I don't know how they figure things.

It's too bad at this point it would be really hard for some company to try and make a good alternative to this, the world really needs a replacement for Ebay and Paypal.

It's a new policy paypal implemented about a month or two back. Even if you have perfect feedback and zero user complaints you can still get flagged.

A computer engine looks at your selling patterns and determines risk then freezes your fund if it thinks you are high risk. For example if your monthly average sales totaled $300 for the last 6 months, then all of sudden sold $3000 worth of stuff. The engine will flag you and freeze the fund.

The whole company (ebay + paypal) are ran by giant computers, there is no human involved. The customer service reps are just phone monkeys trained to read a script and will NEVER reverse a decision the computer engines made. Worse is noone in the company really knows how those monster computers make policy decision, what criterial determines someone get their account frozen vs not.

The whole thing is a joke.

Ebay made the decision a few years back to throw sellers in front of a bus and allow buyers to have complete control despite their seller protection bulls*** you see. Because they know sellers follow buyers, as long as there are buyers, sellers are forced to use ebay. And unfortunately there is no alternative, it's a monopoly and that's why they can get away with it.

To the OP, just wait until your money is released. You can't do anything other than not to use ebay/paypal in the future.

So I just put something up on ebay and was notified that funds won't be available until 3 days after delivery has been confirmed. Once I sell these items I currently have up I am done with selling on ebay, it's ridiculous.

Happened to me twice before, though the money was released as soon as I received positive feedback. Once I had to phone them and tell them I had received the feedback and to release the funds.

This happened to me months ago, as well. Absolutely infuriating.
The dumbest policy I've seen. In many cases, how do they expect one to do anything unless the funds can be accessed?! I think they will release enough to cover shipping of your Ebay items, but still...utter BS to deal with.
They eventually released the "hold policy" on my funds, but annoying, to say the least. My rating was 100% positive, too.
At first, I thought it meant that they were going to hold all my funds, even aside from Ebay transactions.
I almost had a coronary. Fortunately, it only meant Ebay, which obviously sucked enough.
But yeah...I think they'll release the holds eventually, as they did with me.

The whole company (ebay + paypal) are ran by giant computers, there is no human involved. The customer service reps are just phone monkeys trained to read a script and will NEVER reverse a decision the computer engines made. Worse is noone in the company really knows how those monster computers make policy decision, what criterial determines someone get their account frozen vs not.

Oh no Skynet is in development in San Jose CA. LOL

Now my total is up to $3K. Its temporary but it sucks 8 ( that's not an eight). I told the Paypal rep: "You just worked 80 hours in 2 weeks. Im your boss, Im not going to pay you in 3 weeks just to make sure you dont quit on me. So now you have to work another 120 hours before you see your first check. Thanks for the work in advance." That hit home to her and said wow that does suck! No _____

Last edited:
Back