Paypals "New" 21 day $$$ freeze policy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone eventually gets this 21 day hold policy on their account. Mine is on it right now. Everyone curses Paypal but yet no one is willing to pay any other way.

So, is this PayPal's policy with eBay. . . if we get a PayPal payment outside of eBay, does it still hold the funds??

Basically, who do I yell at when the ____ hits the fan??

Paypal and Ebay are starting to remind me of Nazis.

Anyone who has some drive can make another Paypal type site. gaurantee you it will take off after a couple years when Paypal gets even worse.

I'm ready to sell my collection soon and something tells me it will be a pain getting almost 2k from Paypal to my bank without being hassled.

I have had an Ebay account for years. I have never had a hold placed on funds being transferred, is there a trigger which causes the hold?
Seems like another way for ebay to make more money..like raising the fees charged for shipping... 8(

I've never had a hold placed on funds neither in the six years I've been with eBay and Paypal. :dunno

I have stopped selling internationally on eBay, and am only selling stuff locally to avoid scammers and hassles like this. Locally, people can deposit money into my bank account and the transaction proceedings are easier.

PayPal/eBay is really choosing sides now, and is almost always giving advantage of the buyer even if the buyer had history of not paying, etc. :slap

The problem with dethroning Ebay is its become such a household name ( much like google, craigslist ) that trying to start another site like it would take a tremendous amount of advertising. Since using ebay you are required to only use paypal, it would be impossible for another currency exchange company to compete with paypal, unless they get rid of ebay's stronghold. In turn, I really do not think its as easy as you think and starting a site like that up would require a ton of money to get it going.

If I had the money and knew how to make a website and all of that other tech stuff I would make a site like Paypal and make the rates cheaper, but I don't >_>

Wow. This is upsetting news. I have a couple of items listed on evilbay right now. Not thousands of dollars worth mind you, but I stand to earn around $200 when my couple small auctions close. I have something like 60 positive feedback as a seller. Wonder if they'll freeze my funds too.
How would I go about getting one of these "merchant accounts" some of you speak of?

Wow. This is upsetting news. I have a couple of items listed on evilbay right now. Not thousands of dollars worth mind you, but I stand to earn around $200 when my couple small auctions close. I have something like 60 positive feedback as a seller. Wonder if they'll freeze my funds too.
How would I go about getting one of these "merchant accounts" some of you speak of?

It will happen it just of matter of when is what it sounds like. Could happen in 2 years to you.

Google and amazon are really the only hope at the moment and amazon already failed at doing auctions once before. I was hoping google would come around eventually but I also do not see them to interested in doing it either. If I was the owner of Google, I would careless about competing with ebay

PayPal is owned by Ebay so PayPal does what ebay wants it to.

I have not had a hold put on my PayPal account yet. I will be pissed if I do.

PayPal is owned by Ebay so PayPal does what ebay wants it to.

I have not had a hold put on my PayPal account yet. I will be pissed if I do.

This is not true. While they're owned by ebaY, they're still two separate entities. As I stated earlier, when I had this situation happen to me, Ebay's customer service told me I had to suffer and ship the item before they would release the funds. However, until payment clears, there's no seller protection and no proof that the buyer's account is verified. When I talked to Paypal, they advised me not to ship until the payment cleared and sent a notice to the buyer that they would need to call Paypal to release the funds. It's just a matter of talking to the right Customer Service.

^^ Just upgrade your PayPal account to a Merchant Account. The information would be in your PayPal home page once you login.

Hasn't happened to me yet, but I have a merchant account. My wife's paypal was locked up from an item she sold for 21 days. But, she has no merchant account. Sure pissed her off.

This is ridiculous. I just got an email from PayPal this morning saying that from now on they're going to be holding onto money sent to me for 21 days. I've had well over a hundred transactions on PayPal and not once has a buyer ever filed a complaint or dispute against me.

Edit: I wonder if they're doing this because I just sold on Ebay. 90% of the time I sell stuff outside of Ebay, but I did just have an auction sell last week (and I received positive feedback for it, for the record) and that was my first Ebay sale in a long time.

Back