Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

Prometheus is still one of the best Sci-Fi films I've seen in the past decade.

Plot holes aside I'm looking forward to an Alien vs Predator Vs Engineer movie.:rock

I'm not. :dunno

..but those complaints are absolutely ridiculous

Most complaints are dumb and pointless. Either you like a movie or you don't. The people that dig so deep to find plotholes and all that other hardcore crap, I can only assume are here to make themselves feel better, since they didn't like it lol

This is ONE movie this year lol And people are analyzing the poop out of it for nothing lol

Most complaints are dumb and pointless. Either you like a movie or you don't. The people that dig so deep to find plotholes and all that other hardcore crap, I can only assume are here to make themselves feel better, since they didn't like it lol

This is ONE movie this year lol And people are analyzing the poop out of it for nothing lol

I don't think that's true. I actually ask questions because I find it interesting and like to see what others think and speculate. I enjoyed the movie quite a lot.

It is kind of a contradiction that people both admire Scott for making a movie that "raises more questions than it answers" - but then condemns people who want to discuss the possible answers to those questions that Scott introduces.

In my opinion: discussion of the unanswered elements of the story isn't necessarily a criticism of the movie - as long as the answer (s) isn't just "because Scott says so".

I'm willing to bet Scott himselft wants discussion, right?

Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

I think a lot of you that don't consider it to be on par with the original movie are being way too hard on it. Even if it isn't the masterpiece that we got in '79 at worst its a "Temple of Doom" or "Terminator 2." I would definitely say its better than T2 but its certainly no "KOTCS," "Alien:Res" or "Phantom Menace." This was a valiant effort through and through and an absolutely solid film.

:dunno:dunno:dunno

As for the big list above. I'm not touching it. Most of that stuff has already been discussed here. :)

I'd actually like to play that game. What were the plot holes in Alien?
Now... I mean plot holes, as in "things that made no sense", not "mysteries that weren't answered". My biggest gripe with Prometheus is that the 'scientist' characters made massive assumptions again and again (why in the world would multiple cave paintings mean the "engineers" made life on earth instead of just visiting), and that characters like the Captain came to conclusions "It's a weapon's depot" without having nearly enough info (he hadn't even seen the "weapon's cash" yet). Did ANYTHING like that happen in Alien?

Yeah, that's sort of my point. A lot of the "plot holes" people point out are anything but. They are just people doing things that people in movies quite regularly do (versus people in the real world, who would know better) because drama needs to happen. ALIEN does that a lot, because (like, I'd say, Prometheus to an extent) it was intentionally created in the vein of classic, somewhat pulpy, horror.

As for your point, I think taking Shaw and Halloway to task because they are scientists who jump to a conclusion is doing something a LOT of people seem to do with this film. They judge their actions by the "ideal" they have in their head of what a character should do versus looking at whether their actions are consistent with the character as he or she is presented in the movie.

With Shaw, a GREAT deal is made of her "faith." Does this make her a bad scientist? I'd say so, but Scott is very purposefully exploring the intersection of faith and science here. I think the film also takes her to task for her leap in logic, which she comes to realize is very, very wrong. And I think it's interesting. The conclusion she leaps to is faintly ridiculous, though certainly the findings over thousands of years of human culture is intriguing.

With Halloway, you have a young and immature character who is clearly willing to overlook good science to go chase an adventure. With Weyland, you have a desperate man with more money than sense who is willing to finance it. Clearly there are those in his company (as evidenced by Vickers) who thinks he is nut and this is a gigantic waste of time. Which is why, yes, she does have a point as a character. :)

As for the Captain... just because he thinks something does not, necessarily, make it so. The truth is we still don't know exactly what the nature of the ship was. Clearly what they planned for humanity would not have been seen as favorable to us. But we STILL don't know if they intended ill-will towards us or just saw us as guinea pigs. Just because a character articulates something, we shouldn't take that as gospel. Scott showed us this through the characters of Shaw and Halloway himself.

Another question I have is about the life the engineers created on Earth. When she compared the engineer DNA to human DNA, it was a perfect match. Shouldn't there be some variation as there are variations between all organisms on Earth from monkeys to squids to koala bears to platypuses. Why are we exactly the same as the Engineers and those animals are not? Did they not come from the Engineers as well?

When it says "match" I didn't take it as an exact match. In fact, the on-screen graphic did not seem to match up exactly from what I remember. It was probably just a high enough percentage to be considered a match, which happens in real life too.

I love the parallels between Vickers and Ripley and how tragic it makes the outcome of the former...

I agree. I think Vickers main "failing" (that made her a character that was fated to die versus live) was her motivation. At the end, Ripley's fight was for survival, and she still tried her best to save her crew. Vickers wanted to go home and run what was now her company. And she was willing to let Shaw perish and not worry about the Engineer ship.

As for the big list above. I'm not touching it. Most of that stuff has already been discussed here. :)

Yep, great post nevertheless. :duff

In fact I'm quite pleased with the intelligence and perspective displayed in many of the posts supporting this film. It did deserve a better audience and I am thrilled to have experienced it.

As for the Captain... just because he thinks something does not, necessarily, make it so. The truth is we still don't know exactly what the nature of the ship was. Clearly what they planned for humanity would not have been seen as favorable to us. But we STILL don't know if they intended ill-will towards us or just saw us as guinea pigs. Just because a character articulates something, we shouldn't take that as gospel. Scott showed us this through the characters of Shaw and Halloway himself.

I actually like that it's still up to interpretation as to whether they ever "changed their mind" about us in the first place. For all we know we were the rabbits designed to test their hair products/military weapons/whatever on and they just eventually created a better lab animal on another planet and no longer had any need for us. Or we simply have a common ancestor and they aren't our creators, they just discovered us and tested their crap on us like the galactic bullies they are. Great stuff.

Last edited:

So if Cavalron (SPELLING?) was right. Wouldn't that mean that there is a god? If there is a god, there must be a devil.

I was actually thinking about that...
If they do a sequel, wouldn't it be a bit of a hard sell to do a movie with just one human character and a robot's head?
Getting Vickers to survive in a similar fashion to how Shaw made it would give them a little more to work with.

I think having Vickers survive would be a horrible retcon IMO. As I've already stated her demise was quite ominous.

Besides, it's not like the entire cast would be two chicks and a synthetic head anyway. They'd still have to have some horrible contrivance where they meet up with some space pirates or something on their way to the engineer homeworld just to have some fodder characters to fill out the cast.

I think Shaw's journey is best left to the imagination. At least she didn't use the alien's own technology to blow up their homeworld/mothership as we've already seen done quite a few times now (ID4, Stargate, maybe even Battlefield Earth, etc.)

Last edited:
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

Total 1 week drop for Prometheus is 60% from last weekend. Big drop.

Earnings:

13wlki.png

There must have been at least 1000 better ways to off her character. Was there some kind of underlying symbolism in having her being crushed by a slowly tipping space ship? It did look like a curved dong. Bring in the psychoanalysts.

I wonder how many of those who think Prometheus is amazing and deeply intellectual hated Spielberg's A.I.?

On a different note altogether, the more I think about it the more the Hammerpede's freak me out :lol I mean I watch horror and Sci-Fi all the time! Even from a young age and these little beasties have really stuck in my head :rock I think it's where they are fairly realistic in the sense that like a cobra they rear up then strike quickly and before to long the make the killer move before their prey can blink or react :rock

Back