Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

Especially when the original sucks.:monkey1

Man, you know I'm with you on the Prometheus love, but this is just a silly statement. Blade Runner (well, one of the non-theatrical cuts) is one of the best sci-fi movies ever.

I saw it again last night, still think it's one hell of a brilliant mess.
The most offending thing thing is just that ridiculous speech from the captain which basically tells the audience what the film failed to tell them for the last hour or two!

But there is so much wonderful material in there as well. Damn the script, damn it to hell..

The most offending thing thing is just that ridiculous speech from the captain which basically tells the audience what the film failed to tell them for the last hour or two!

But there is so much wonderful material in there as well. Damn the script, damn it to hell..

What's that now, 3 times you've seen it? True love that is.:wink1:

Yup, 3 times. That's it for me until the 3D Blu gets released.
:)

Despite your issues with the film I think this will be one of those films that over the years will become a favourite of yours and many others. It just happens like that sometimes, especially with unlimited blu ray viewings at home.

:goodpost::lecture:exactly:

And "brilliant mess" might be quite the apt description for this film.

Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

I spoke to my brother-in-law about the movie. He's not an Alien fan and has a passing knowledge of Alien; like most of the the general audience. He liked parts but in general left the movie theater confused. The only audience that's going to get anything out of this (good or bad) are fans of the Alien franchise. Whether you liked it or not we will talk about it. The general movie audience will just shrug their shoulders.

Look what happens when you do a search for "Official Prometheus Poster" for either Yahoo or Google Images:

lolz11111.jpg

LOLZ.

I get he feeling there might be a deleted scene with the Captain in the pyramid/juggernaut where he realizes his theory to be true. If you notice throughout the movie, he is carefully watching everything that happens and slowly building up his theory, once he goes out there to look for the geologist and biologist he probably puts it all together....we just didn't see him figure it out.

Btw when the movie was finished; everyone in the theater clapped. I think overall the minority didn't like it, and the ones who dislike something tend to be the most vocal about it.

Even without the ALIEN connection it still had glaring plot-holes. Such as:

-Why does the black ooze CREATE & DESTROY/MUTATE?
-Where did the trilobite worm come from? Was it one of those earthworms or did it magically appear from the ooze?
-Why the hell did a squid out of all things come out of Shaw? But a human-like creature came out of the Engineer?
-Why do the Engineers suddenly hate humans after supposedly creating them?

Now, I'm just addressing questions the casual movie-goer might ask. They're also NOT going to read all the blog posts and the interviews Ridley Scott says and frankly, if it's NOT on-screen, then it didn't happen. That's why the Alien lifecycle in ALIEN was thrown out for ALIENS and though Scott can say we crucified a Space Jesus, it didn't happen on-screen.

The movie really could've been strengthened by two scenes:

-A scene depicting SOME sort of fraction between the Engineers and humans. David could've perhaps seen some video file depicting humans killing an Engineer BUT kept it to himself or something like that. He was shady after all.

-A scene of the Prometheus crew ANALYZING the ooze. With comments about how it forces predatory evolution with strong amino acids and proteins for building life or something like that. At least making some sense of WHAT it does.

Still somewhat vague and "iffy" but would've helped to answer a bit more rather than leave everyone confused.

-Where did the trilobite worm come from? Was it one of those earthworms or did it magically appear from the ooze?

It's called a "hammerpede".

They showed a close up of the worms in the soil, then they showed a close up of the worms getting gooed, then later they showed the hammerpede. Not that hard to put together that the goo mutated the worms into the hammerpedes.

One thing I wished we could've seen is when the Engineer picked up David, the android would've put up a better fight?! I thought he was physically superior to humans? Perhaps it was his anti-violent programming that prevented him from defending himself? I thought there should of been a little more. That Engineer is a beast however....

Despite your issues with the film I think this will be one of those films that over the years will become a favourite of yours and many others. It just happens like that sometimes, especially with unlimited blu ray viewings at home.

I think this film will be classic sci-fi down the road. Its one of those films that won't get much love now but will grow on people. For example, "Bladerunner." Again, another visually stunning film that didn't get much love either and now deemed a classic. However, I found Prometheus way more entertaining with more interesting characters.

I spoke to two of my uncles today and both have seen Prometheus. The first uncle, who loves a good old sci-fi film, loved it. The second didn't like the story and film too much; however this is coming from a guy who hated Inception and Super 8 so I found his opinion invalid.:lol

1. -Why does the black ooze CREATE & DESTROY/MUTATE?
2. -Where did the trilobite worm come from? Was it one of those earthworms or did it magically appear from the ooze?
3. -Why the hell did a squid out of all things come out of Shaw? But a human-like creature came out of the Engineer?
4. -Why do the Engineers suddenly hate humans after supposedly creating them?
But these aren't plotholes...

1. The black ooze is a bioweapon. It mutates whatever comes in contact with it. Makes creatures bigger, stronger, more aggressive, etc. This was so clearly shown in the film. That's why the ship was loaded with them..that's why Janek had to fly the Prometheus into it. The Engineer was taking the ampules to Earth to exterminate us. Not a plothole.

2. Do you mean the Hammerpede? The white snake thing? Those were mutated worms. If you're talking about the actual trilobite, it was most likely Holloway's sperm. David infected him with a very small ammount of the ooze..he had sex with Elizabeth..perhaps the ooze mutated a sperm? Who knows. Not a plothole.

3. It wasn't an actual squid. It looked like a mutated sperm, and acted like I would imagine a sperm mutated by that alien goo to act like in the alien universe. What is a sperm's purpose? To impregnate..right? Mutate that with weird alien goo and what do you have? It's behaviour was very similar to a facehuggers, also. Hatch, impregnate, die.
As for the Deacon (thing that bursted from the Engineer), well, the Engineer didn't drink alien goo and have sex with the trilobite. Maybe the trilobite just acts as..a carrier or somthing. Idunno.
Not a plothole.

4. Speculate.

But those aren't plotholes. Requiring you to use your imagination does not make somthing a plot hole. Those are just things that weren't explained step-by-step to you. That's one of the great things about this movie.

Or apparently, one of the many bad things about this movie. :(

-Why does the black ooze CREATE & DESTROY/MUTATE?
-Why the hell did a squid out of all things come out of Shaw? But a human-like creature came out of the Engineer?
-Why do the Engineers suddenly hate humans after supposedly creating them?

Now, I'm just addressing questions the casual movie-goer might ask. They're also NOT going to read all the blog posts and the interviews Ridley Scott says and frankly, if it's NOT on-screen, then it didn't happen. That's why the Alien lifecycle in ALIEN was thrown out for ALIENS and though Scott can say we crucified a Space Jesus, it didn't happen on-screen.

The movie really could've been strengthened by two scenes:

-A scene depicting SOME sort of fraction between the Engineers and humans. David could've perhaps seen some video file depicting humans killing an Engineer BUT kept it to himself or something like that. He was shady after all.

-A scene of the Prometheus crew ANALYZING the ooze. With comments about how it forces predatory evolution with strong amino acids and proteins for building life or something like that. At least making some sense of WHAT it does.

Still somewhat vague and "iffy" but would've helped to answer a bit more rather than leave everyone confused.

The film has "rush" issues and should have been longer, but some of your "holes" was lack of understanding/paying attention. :slap

Yes, hey should have "filled" in something for the transgression when they backed off on having space jesus, but it didn't take a genius to figure out that "pre jesus" they were friendly and showing humans where they were from and "post jesus" timeline they wanted us dead. Some people obviously can't fill in blanks at all, I didn't know what had happened, but I definitely didn't read a blog to figure out "something" happened.

I think people make way too much out of the Cpt's theory. He sees aggression and assumes military. I think hes wrong. I think it was a science station. The ship had no defensive weapons, no shields,etc. ever mentioned and when they are attacked by the unseen creatures, they have no weapons of defense, they're just running.

Now, you throw in one of the ideas the film threw out originally that there should be a scene where the engineers are "weaponizing" the genesis seed it really smacks more of a scientific type screwup where their controlled weaponization just got too powerful for them to control. Sure, they may be big and brutish, but they're still advanced.

Back