New Nintendo HD Console?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is when have you seen a company restrain itself from a potential double dip opportunity?

This is what I'm thinking about what they'll do. They see you've downloaded it on the Wii, you transfer it to the new "Wii2", and they deactivate or whatever on the Wii. Or if you want to keep playing said game on both consoles they should just charge a partial fee to download it onto the new system.

Part of the fun of next gen rumors and speculation is the glut of mock-ups and fan-made concepts. Using what little info about the controller is available, some folks have already started imagining:

(There are dozens of mockups. I'm only posting the ones I thought didn't look absolutely terrible as most of them are):

1zyec9c.jpg

Wii-HD-Mockup-23.jpg

Wii-HD-Mockup-17.jpg

Wv4ON.png

2r5f814.gif

I hope that if there were some little screen on the controller that it isn't just a smaller version of the game. That's what I'm playing the console on the TV for...

Hope it is true that the ysay nintendo is going to start catering to the hardcore gamers again and with graphics better than a ps3 or 360 sounds good but I prob will not buy it becasue when the new xbox or playstation comes out it will prob crush the new nintendo in power nice to see tha tnintendo is adding bluray too.

this will indeed happen it always does

Hope it is true that the ysay nintendo is going to start catering to the hardcore gamers again and with graphics better than a ps3 or 360 sounds good but I prob will not buy it becasue when the new xbox or playstation comes out it will prob crush the new nintendo in power nice to see tha tnintendo is adding bluray too.

First they come out with motion controls saying the last gens controllers were too complicated with too many buttons...now they are returning to a dual analog control scheme, lolz. WTF!?

I hope that if there were some little screen on the controller that it isn't just a smaller version of the game. That's what I'm playing the console on the TV for...

On the Dreamcast, the little screen was really useful for things like calling plays in football games. Think "stuff you don't want your opponent in the same room to see."

If Nintendo is really going this direction, I think it's a sign that they're going to be sitting out on internet play again. It kind of makes sense, Microsoft and Sony have virtually abandoned the "playing in the same room" play style, so Nintendo can own that market once again.

If Nintendo is really going this direction, I think it's a sign that they're going to be sitting out on internet play again. It kind of makes sense, Microsoft and Sony have virtually abandoned the "playing in the same room" play style, so Nintendo can own that market once again.

I agree, but I hope Nintendo at least attempts to get online. Even if it's like PSN where you play online for free, but everything else is microtransactions.

If the 3DS is any indication, Nintendo will try a bare bones approach. A friends list, maybe some rudimentary messaging system and online activity indicator, but for the most part they'll leave it all to the third party developers to create their own online functions without support from Nintendo themselves.

First they come out with motion controls saying the last gens controllers were too complicated with too many buttons...now they are returning to a dual analog control scheme, lolz. WTF!?

The controller would still have motion controls. Combine that with a touch screen I don't think casuals will have a problem. It's been nearly 6 years since the Wii. I think even the most casual Wii-only owner would have well understood the function of an analog stick by now.

On the Dreamcast, the little screen was really useful for things like calling plays in football games. Think "stuff you don't want your opponent in the same room to see."

There's still a market for that? Doubt it.

If the 3DS is any indication, Nintendo will try a bare bones approach. A friends list, maybe some rudimentary messaging system and online activity indicator, but for the most part they'll leave it all to the third party developers to create their own online functions without support from Nintendo themselves.

The controller would still have motion controls. Combine that with a touch screen I don't think casuals will have a problem. It's been nearly 6 years since the Wii. I think even the most casual Wii-only owner would have well understood the function of an analog stick by now.

I thought any idiot could have figured that out since the mid 90s.

Without good online support, there's no way they're getting hardcore gamers--and if they're going to have to have more of a gimmick than a screen on the controller if they want to get the casual gamers to buy again.

What I'm curious to see is what is going to happen to the games I've downloaded on the Virtual Console. It will be interesting as this will be the first real test of what will happen to all virtual items that people buy on things like the VC, PSN, or Live. Will it transfer? Will we have to buy them all over again? Will there be a transfer fee?

There is so much more investment in these systems than generations past, in terms of downloads, media, etc. At least for me; how Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft handle peoples commitment to these systems will determine if I continue to buy & purchase systems, games & add-ons like I have.

you should be able to keep the online purchases.....they have a record of it....It's not like they'll make a new online system for the new systems....

Can you even transfer your virtual console purchases today from one Wii console to another? I dont think that you can, so this might be a good indication that you will need to re buy all your purchase for the future console as well.

There's still a market for that? Doubt it.

Sure there is, the Wii proved it. Young kids and families.

Can you even transfer your virtual console purchases today from one Wii console to another? I dont think that you can, so this might be a good indication that you will need to re buy all your purchase for the future console as well.

A friend of mine had his Wii stolen, and he was unable to transfer purchases to his new console. I really hope they change (or have changed) this policy.

New Nintendo console reportedly dubbed Stream

Retro styling with fresh and juicy hardware
Earlier this week we reported on a number of Nintendo Wii 2 rumours, and as more pieces fall into place it appears that all of them were spot on.

Analysts have suspected for quite some time that Nintendo will try to cater to the somewhat more serious gaming crowd with the new console. While the Wii was successfully aimed at casual gamers, its successor, reportedly dubbed Stream, could also appeal to the core gaming community. It will be styled along the lines of Nintendo’s legendary SNES from the early nineties. Nowadays, retro is all the rage, so why not – at least they are not bringing back Vanilla Ice hairstyles.

The hardware front is anything but retro. The console should feature an interesting novelty in the form of controllers with built in touchscreens. Here is the interesting bit, Nintendo plans to use what it calls ‘Screen Stream’ technology to stream games directly onto the screens, which opens up some very interesting options, at least if you have four controllers and as many people willing to join in on the fun.

In addition, the new console should be able to outpace the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Its tri-core IBM PowerPC processor should end up with a higher clock than the one used in the 360, so we can only guess that it will run at 3.2GHz or 3.4GHz. Coupled with AMD R700 graphics, probably in the HD 4770 class, the new console should pack quite a punch, especially in light of Sony’s and Microsoft’s apparent decision to postpone their consoles until 2014.

At this point the really big question is when Nintendo actually plans to introduce the new console. If it manages to introduce it in early 2012, Nintendo could have at least an 18-month technological lead over the competition. However, all the new technology will come at a price and the new console is expected to sell for $350 to $400.

So much for cheap and cheerful. Nintendo is apparently planning to attack a much more serious consumer base and take on the PS3 and Xbox on their own turf.

If that's really the name they're going with, methinks Valve might have something to say about it.

Back