New Nintendo HD Console?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners at a 3DS press conference in the fall of 2010. "We need to decrease the concern that only Nintendo software can sell well on Nintendo platforms and third-party software cannot sell in the same volume. We feel a need to have closer ties with our third-party developers from the beginning."

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may imply about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.

We've heard about an HD Wii for some time now, and the time is perfect – almost necessary – for Nintendo to jump start itself with this new system. The company has been feeling the bite since Wii sales have declined from previous years, and this week's news that Nintendo could be dropping the price of the Wii on May 15 could be a precursor to this announcement and an attempt to move as many Wii units as possible out of the retail channel before the new system hits.

We do not have confirmation if this new system will be backward compatible with the Wii or if it will even carry the Wii branding as has often been rumored. It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console. Around the office we have dubbed the system Nintendo HD. However, this information at this point is conjecture.

We contacted a Nintendo representative regarding this information, and they would only say that "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation."

Either way, it should be an exciting E3 for Nintendo and gamers alike.

body-is-ready.bmp

why would the graphics not be comparable to PS3 or Xbox360??? Those systems have been out for more than 5 years now. You mean to tell me in 5 years you can't build a better graphics system???

It's necessary--but a bad move by Nintendo

The Nintendo user base doesn't care about HD graphics--they'd rather pay less for a regular Wii

And the people that do care would rather own a PS3 or Xbox 360

Nintendo simply can't compete in this area with the Xbox 360 and PS3. And it's a bit late for them to try and match HD graphics since Microsoft and Sony are most certainly working on their next consoles to be released in the next couple of years. They'll be behind yet again.

More hubbub and words about this rumor:

EDIT 4: Jim Reilly tweets that it will do 1080p. IGN article updated again

https://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/58622803158642688

EDIT 3: IGN updates article stating it to be significantly more powerful than X360/PS3

Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market.

EDIT 2: BC with Wii games. Pre-announcement this month with full details at E3

Multiple sources have confirmed to Game Informer that Nintendo will reveal a new console between now and E3 2011 in June.

Game Informer's sources say the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions," though it is unclear whether not it will be as powerful as Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Our sources have said the console's power will be greater than or equal to the PlayStation 3. Nintendo is reportedly showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a late 2012 launch.

Sources tell IGN that Nintendo will release a pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3. Sources say the console will be backwards compatible with current Wii software.

https://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html

EDIT: Kotaku reports more powerful than X360/PS3

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.
https://kotaku.com/#!5792165

Nintendo owned the 80s and part of the 90s.. They will never be able to compete now that Microsoft & Sony are in high gear in terms of releasing consoles.

if nintendo can get good 3rd party support plus online to at equal psn then they will dominate as they always make best 1st party games

It's necessary--but a bad move by Nintendo

The Nintendo user base doesn't care about HD graphics--they'd rather pay less for a regular Wii

And the people that do care would rather own a PS3 or Xbox 360

Nintendo simply can't compete in this area with the Xbox 360 and PS3. And it's a bit late for them to try and match HD graphics since Microsoft and Sony are most certainly working on their next consoles to be released in the next couple of years. They'll be behind yet again.

I think Nintendo is very well aware of that. It'd be fool-hardy of them not to consider the points you've raised. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve though. Nothing aside from the addition of HD graphics have been disclosed yet. Merely HD graphics does not a successful console make.

And anyway their 'blue ocean' strategy is dead. Nintendo's targeted casual demographic is now distracted by Apple, Kinect and PS Move. They will have to connect with the hardcore once again to stay afloat. Hopefully they'll figure out how to steal the casuals back too.

I can't believe that in 2011, the fact that a next gen gaming console including HD in it's specs, is news.

That said, I'm ready for a new Nintendo system. :rock

I'd come back to Nintendo as long as they give Mario Kart back it's balls and they actually give a crap about the core audience. Not soccer moms.

I still love my Wii. Not upgrading to HD system unless it plays 3D games like the 3DS :lol.

I think Nintendo is very well aware of that. It'd be fool-hardy of them not to consider the points you've raised. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve though. Nothing aside from the addition of HD graphics have been disclosed yet. Merely HD graphics does not a successful console make.

And anyway their 'blue ocean' strategy is dead. Nintendo's targeted casual demographic is now distracted by Apple, Kinect and PS Move. They will have to connect with the hardcore once again to stay afloat. Hopefully they'll figure out how to steal the casuals back too.

You'd think that they would consider things--but remember the Gamecube. And also the recent comments from Nintendo dismissing mobile games on smartphones.

All the console makers need to pay attention, but I think Nintendo in particular is resistant to doing things different.

More than improved graphics I want Nintendo to step into the modern era and supply us with a robust online system and an online store. No friend codes, and a way to chat with friends and ship it with a mic dammit. And add Nintendo achievements called coins. :clap

Another big update in this rumor:

IGN article updated to report screen on controller will have touch capability.

CVG reports all new controller with built-in HD screen.

What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

https://www.computerandvideogames.com...-2012-sources/

A touchscreen on the controller? That's like the next evolution of the Dreamcast's VMU. Sounds interesting.

Nintendo owned the 80s and part of the 90s.. They will never be able to compete now that Microsoft & Sony are in high gear in terms of releasing consoles.

I am sorry but the Wii totally owned the 360 and Playstation 3 in sales, so I would give them the norties too.
Their only misstep was the Gamecube

Back