Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion (updated page 1)

I think there are some arm and hammer kind that probably don't smell too bad (if at all) and my guess is that the smell from those will dissipate much quicker then that of the smoke as long as it's in a well ventilated area.

I've got dryer sheets for my daughter that are odor free, and I used those recently to get the smoke smell off of a figure sticking them in a gallon zip-loc bag. After a week, the smell was all gone.

Awesome!

I will give it a try. I'll pick up some odorless sheets (haha) tomorrow.

Thanks!

I hope that works out for you YoNoSe!

On a side note...I am really hoping someone takes this up from Astro as I really would love a full set for my Busters! Every time I walk past them I see the big ugly "elbow pads" they came with I get a little sad :p.

So is anyone up to make a few?!

On a side note...I am really hoping someone takes this up from Astro as I really would love a full set for my Busters! Every time I walk past them I see the big ugly "elbow pads" they came with I get a little sad :p.

Thanks. I was lucky in a way, the lot I bought included the elbow pads. I just finished patching, sanding and priming them as a matter of fact. I just popped into this thread to see about attaching the elastic and how much black exactly goes inside the elbow.

same here. been waiting on painted heads from elvis too - feels like this project will take forever to complete :( even have a glow in the dark slimer ready.

will post pics soon guys. went with the old neca headknocker for mine:

51B833G2YSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

painted over it in really heavy coats of glow in the dark paint. it dries translucent pale green which muted the heavy green on the original paint, and dried in blobs to look like slime dripping down. need to remove the base and stick it on a clear stand, but otherwise it looks ok.

:lecture

I've been thinking about taking a crack at sculpting a 1/6 Slimer. I'd love to see what others are coming up with.

Betomatali wants to sculpt one...

I currently have the Videogame Amazon exclusive one, which is really awesome,
but too pale, I want to re-paint it with translucent paint sometime soon...

ghostbusters_slimer_4.jpg

It was sculpted by Steve Johnson :rock!

will post pics soon guys. went with the old neca headknocker for mine:

51B833G2YSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

painted over it in really heavy coats of glow in the dark paint. it dries translucent pale green which muted the heavy green on the original paint, and dried in blobs to look like slime dripping down. need to remove the base and stick it on a clear stand, but otherwise it looks ok.

I had one and it was nice, but I sold it long ago...

I'd like to see what you've done!
:duff!

Here's one repainted from RFP:

https://www.therpf.com/f11/steve-johnsons-slimer-statue-repaint-120871/

Slimer1-1.jpg

Ugh, so after working on these elbow pads for a few hours I decided to gear up a figure and discovered that the short belt strap with the o-ring at the end is missing for all four figures despite the Seller stating "Everything that originally came with the Matty 12" figures is included except for the bodies, heads, and ungloved hands."

I'm sure there is no way to obtain these loose so I guess I am going to have to fabricate them myself. Anyone have any suggestions?

winston.jpg

(Pic from MWCtoys)

Ugh, so after working on these elbow pads for a few hours I decided to gear up a figure and discovered that the short belt strap with the o-ring at the end is missing for all four figures despite the Seller stating "Everything that originally came with the Matty 12" figures is included except for the bodies, heads, and ungloved hands."

I'm sure there is no way to obtain these loose so I guess I am going to have to fabricate them myself. Anyone have any suggestions?

winston.jpg

(Pic from MWCtoys)

That sucks!

Let's see- you can get thin leather from Michael's, Tandy's or a donor leather jacket from the thrift shop.

Cut the straps to size (I'm sure one of us can get you measurements)

The ring is the easiest part- in packages in the jewelry / bead making section at Michael's-

The wire- at Hobby Lobby, etc. you should be able to find square brass wire - it'll take trial and error with two small pliers, but you should be able to bend the wire into shape.

When you're finished, it'll probably look better than the factory issued ones and we'll all want you to make us some! :exactly:

When you're finished, it'll probably look better than the factory issued ones and we'll all want you to make us some! :exactly:
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. :rotfl

Small leather strips will probably work best, but just some more food for thought, I've had great success making accessories for the 6" figures with electrical tape. It's cheap and tough, easy to work with and create elements with and has a nice vinyl/leather appearance.

Small leather strips will probably work best, but just some more food for thought, I've had great success making accessories for the 6" figures with electrical tape. It's cheap and tough, easy to work with and create elements with and has a nice vinyl/leather appearance.

I once used electrical tape and about a year later the figure had black adhesive goo all over him. :horror Maybe I just used cheap tape but that has made me hesitant to go that route again.

Here's my quick first attempt just to see what I could do with what I have on-hand. Used some material from a cheap "leather" glove, a bent paper clip, and the silver stud is a button from a 1/6 coat.

DSC_1011.jpg

My first assembly of all my parts -

DSC_1012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh no! Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on my stuff. Maybe since I'm not actually sticking the tape to the figure anywhere(I double the tape on itself just to make a piece of material to work with) I won't have any damage to the figure itself.

I once used electrical tape and about a year later the figure had black adhesive goo all over him. :horror Maybe I just used cheap tape but that has made me hesitant to go that route again.

Here's my quick first attempt just to see what I could do with what I have on-hand. Used some material from a cheap "leather" glove, a bent paper clip, and the silver stud is a button from a 1/6 coat.

DSC_1011.jpg

My first assembly of all my parts -

DSC_1012.jpg

That's looking great!! See, I told you it would be better than the factory's!! :yess::yess:

That's looking great!! See, I told you it would be better than the factory's!! :yess::yess:

Thanks!

I also made this PKE holster for Egon out of a handcuff pouch. I have no idea where he kept the PKE in the movie but I think it looks pretty cool. :)

DSC_1015.jpg

So what material is being used on the elbow pads? I know I won't be able to get a set that was offered in this thread, but I'm figuring I could at least cut out the elbow pad on the stock figure and attach the slimmer material used.

BTW, so surprising how good the figure looks with a body swap, new boots and belt. Its quickly goes from a meh figure to damn impressive :rock

So what material is being used on the elbow pads? I know I won't be able to get a set that was offered in this thread, but I'm figuring I could at least cut out the elbow pad on the stock figure and attach the slimmer material used.

BTW, so surprising how good the figure looks with a body swap, new boots and belt. Its quickly goes from a meh figure to damn impressive :rock

I've got to get off my ass and get my Ghostbusters done! Got to swap out bodies, add Spenser's incredible heads, new belts and until I can replace all the Alice pack's straps, call it done!

I was playing around and sculpted up an elbow pad. It looks close to what was all to briefly offered at www.gbfans.com but I need to refine it a bit.

But I'm happy with how it turned out. Mold it and cast 'em up and my guys will be happy!

Back