MAFEX Robocop 1/12 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and its so not silver! absolutely not a copy of HT by any means.

Absolutely.
Ok a custom paint could be better but for a 70$ figure, out of the box, it’s dam close to perfection.
Really love this figure.

Damn it, stop bumping this thread and giving me hope!

But for real, this is my favorite RoboCop collectible I've ever owned. I have been in awe of it ever since I unboxed it. Amazing sculpt and paint and just the right amount of articulation. I know this is a 1/6 collector's board, but this is the scale for me.

Every other Robo figure at this scale looks "off" to me after getting this guy. Figma's a piece of garbage, and NECA looks awful. I really liked NECA for a long time, too, but man....this thing just makes it look like crap. McFarlane's was never very accurate, but I loved it at the time. But they're all in storage now, cause this is the only Robo my shelf needs.

(Well...that exists. You guys know the one I wish they'd make.)

I still have all my various Robocops displayed even though some are obviously better than others. That said I never got the Figma and wouldn't bother getting it now as it'd be a definite regression from Mafex.

There's also the HIYA toys figures in 1/18 - even a ''Kik me'' Robocop 2 version - not sure I need to go down another scale though.

So I couldn't sleep last night, and I was re-reading this thread, and admiring my Mafex Robo, thinking to myself "Yeah...this really IS the best RoboCop figure I've ever owned!"

And then, a whim popped into my head, as they sometimes do at 3 in the morning when you can't sleep. I thought "Hmmm....maybe I'll drop a dab of krazy glue and keep that loose chest magnet in once and for all."

And like all ideas at 3 in the morning....it ended badly.

I'm a complete and total klutz. The krazy glue looked like it was dried out and not coming out, so I squeezed harder. Yeah, I got the magnet glued in. But I also managed to get drops of freaking krazy glue on various spots on the figure. Tried wiping it off...it only made it worse.

So here I was admiring how wonderful the figure was, and a few moments later, I effectively destroyed it. Ever been there?

Now to a non-collector, they might not even notice. But you guys know how it is. YOU would notice. A big section of the paint right below his neck is gone, and the neck is covered in sticky residue forever. I even managed to get some on his ass.

On other figures I might have just cursed myself and let it go, but this is honestly one of my favorites. So I immediately went to amazon to order a new one. I can't have this kind of imperfection on a figure that's so dear to me.

Amazon japan actually had the RoboCop 3 version for 500 yen less than the first version, so I thought, hey, why the hell not? Same basic figure for less money, plus more stuff. The only two pieces missing are the damaged chest and helmet and thankfully those were not involved with the krazy glue incident.

Well, for being an evil corporation, I gotta give credit to amazon prime....about 12 hours later, my new Robo arrived. Thankfully blemish-free...no QC problems at all.

Now there's not much that a bunch of random nerds can agree on, but I think one of them is the fact that RoboCop 3 was a terrible, terrible movie. Just awful. But hey...the jetpack and gun arm are cool looking at the very least.

So my Robo got an unexpected upgrade thanks to my clumsiness, and now I'm out 8000 yen I really shouldn't have spent. But oh well. That's life.

Now that I have two of the three, I'm tempted to get the Robo 2 version just to complete them. But that one is sold out and going for 13,000 on amazon from resellers. But knowing me, I'll probably end up buying it anyway at 3 in the morning.

I understand that pain. I've ****ed up all too many times with glue, I'm very reticent to use it now. And there's nothing worse than an idea you assume will be harmless going completely wrong.

So I couldn't sleep last night, and I was re-reading this thread, and admiring my Mafex Robo, thinking to myself "Yeah...this really IS the best RoboCop figure I've ever owned!"

And then, a whim popped into my head, as they sometimes do at 3 in the morning when you can't sleep. I thought "Hmmm....maybe I'll drop a dab of krazy glue and keep that loose chest magnet in once and for all."

And like all ideas at 3 in the morning....it ended badly.

I'm a complete and total klutz. The krazy glue looked like it was dried out and not coming out, so I squeezed harder. Yeah, I got the magnet glued in. But I also managed to get drops of freaking krazy glue on various spots on the figure. Tried wiping it off...it only made it worse.

So here I was admiring how wonderful the figure was, and a few moments later, I effectively destroyed it. Ever been there?

Now to a non-collector, they might not even notice. But you guys know how it is. YOU would notice. A big section of the paint right below his neck is gone, and the neck is covered in sticky residue forever. I even managed to get some on his ass.

On other figures I might have just cursed myself and let it go, but this is honestly one of my favorites. So I immediately went to amazon to order a new one. I can't have this kind of imperfection on a figure that's so dear to me.

Amazon japan actually had the RoboCop 3 version for 500 yen less than the first version, so I thought, hey, why the hell not? Same basic figure for less money, plus more stuff. The only two pieces missing are the damaged chest and helmet and thankfully those were not involved with the krazy glue incident.

Well, for being an evil corporation, I gotta give credit to amazon prime....about 12 hours later, my new Robo arrived. Thankfully blemish-free...no QC problems at all.

Now there's not much that a bunch of random nerds can agree on, but I think one of them is the fact that RoboCop 3 was a terrible, terrible movie. Just awful. But hey...the jetpack and gun arm are cool looking at the very least.

So my Robo got an unexpected upgrade thanks to my clumsiness, and now I'm out 8000 yen I really shouldn't have spent. But oh well. That's life.

Now that I have two of the three, I'm tempted to get the Robo 2 version just to complete them. But that one is sold out and going for 13,000 on amazon from resellers. But knowing me, I'll probably end up buying it anyway at 3 in the morning.

God I'm sorry, and unfortunately I can relate. It also kind of kills me because I just sold my new-in-box part 1 and part 2 to someone for $50.00 each. If I'd only known about your plight, they probably could've found a better home. :(

Well, I just about shat my pants for a moment when I saw this on twitter, until I remembered it's the "online" wonderfest and this is just a custom.

Siiiigh. Another dream that will forever go unfilled.

Still....a thing of beauty to behold,no?

mafe custommurphy (2).jpg

I can't paint.

Shame too...the unpainted sculpt looks really nicely detailed and is pretty cheap.

I've seen painted versions for over $40 plus shipping, but I honestly don't know how good they'll be in person or if they'll even fit on the toy.

I'm tempted though...a Murphy face Robo has been my number one most wanted figure on my list for about a decade.

I have the good smile one but not the Mafex one. For what it's worth, because it's mainly made of diecast and ABS the details are nice and sharp. It feels worth the 100 dollars but the face sculp is lacking. It's nice that it has the battle damage and cobra assault rifle. For me it was either this or pay a premium for the Mafex Robocop 1st movie version, which is the version I really wanted.. I also got the goodsmile one to go with the goodsmile ed-209 model kit so that was another reason.

Back