MAFEX Robocop 1/12 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys, as promised a little review of the Mafex unsmasked Murphy custom head i've received a few days ago.

The sculpt and paint are great. Ok it's not as accurate or detailed as the HT 1/6 BD Robocop but for the price and at this scale it's pretty good IMO. Very pleased. The face got a very detailed paint application with visible veins and the bullet scar on the front.
From front it’s not 100% Weller but I’ve seen worst and much more expensive, and from certain angles it really works.
I jumped on this head on e-bay because it had really nice shades of metallic blue and purple at the back which perfectly fit the rest of the figure.
The others i saw were all differents, some got flat grey or flat blue finish. It seems that no one is identical.

The only problem is that the custom head is absolutly not plug and play. The head is empty and the neck too narrow to fit the stock ball joint system.

The easiest way is to remove all the joint system and put a big piece of Blu Tack at the good height and it works but i wanted to keep the mobility of the head so i searched in my garage and took a piece of automotive-type rubber hose. I cut it to match the exact height of the stock figure.

The outer diameter fits perfectly the head and the inner diameter fits perfectly one of the small rod i put back in the collar:

Once again i'm very pleased. It's not the ultimate Robocop figure but at this scale it's really cool and a great addition to my regular Mafex.
Really love this figure. Witout a doubt one of my favourite all scale and franchise conbined.
Incredibly good for the price.

Man. Now I want one. There's so many sellers from China and painted and unpainted...it seems like a crapshoot for what you'd get. The unpainted ones on ebay are really cheap but I can't paint. I think the painted ones I saw were about $42 before shipping.

If you wanna get REALLY ambitious you can take a tiny paperclip or tiny staple or something and bend it into the wires around his head. Would have to be really damn small though.

1robonohelmet1.jpg

BTW....anyone that still doesn't have this amazing miraculous little figure, the RoboCop 3 version is still up on amazon japan. I have NO idea if they'll ship outside Japan though. It's actually less than retail right now. I bought one about 6 months ago to replace my original that I messed up with glue. This one does NOT have the battle damaged chest or helmet, but it has the flight pack and gun arm for less than the original.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07HHB9YLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For some reason, the original has gone up in price, and the Robo 2 version is going for a staggering $400 on amazon japan which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Damn it. Why didn't I buy it a year ago??

Yeah fortunately i bought two. Now the prices became crazy. The 3 is the cheapest and for a regular version is exactly identical to the first one but you don't have BD parts.
You're right, i could add some wires around the head but working on a head at this scale is a little bit tense. I wouldn't screw up everything. Sometimes the best is the enemy of good as we say here in France. I'm enough pleased like that. But i keep in mind!:)

Well sir. You convinced me. I looked at your pics again and finally said

174c9b1b0370e613c013a241fd812fbc.gif

Just ordered one off ebay...hope it's painted nicely. Then I saw the estimated arrival time from China.......August??? The hell? I hope that's not true and they get it to me faster than that!

Well, whenever it gets here (August??) I'll rig up a neck piece like you did and I'll have the head on the figure I messed up with glue, since he's supposed to be battle damaged. It'll be cool to have side by side with the clean version.

Yeah this is how I’ll display it too, with the Neca ED and the 1.1 KSC auto-9 next to.

Personally I ordered mine in Europe but the guy told me that he ordered it from a third party in Asia. So I assume that it comes from the same maker.
But this is why I received it quickly.
I paid a little bit more ( 50€) but it was a safer way to be sure that the pics were well the head I’ll receive.
But fingers crossed yours will be as well painted as mine!

:wink1:

So I wrote back to my Chinese seller on ebay and said "You're not sending this thing til August? Really?"

He didn't write back, but he amended the listing AFTER the fact that this was allegedly a "pre-order" and that the pieces are "made to order" and take over 40 days to produce.

Obviously that's all ********, and if I really wanted to, I'm sure I could open a case with ebay and get my money back. But I looked at all the other listings and none of them are really any earlier...most of them say "July-August" at the earliest, so I just said screw it. I guess I'll just wait and have something to look forward to late in the summer.

Gives me time to brainstrom ideas on how to rig up a decent functioning neck joint like Rondesmo did. I don't have any rubber tubing laying around!

It’s not hard to find. It’s a piece of fuel injection hose.

I’ll try to take the exact dimensions.

:wink1:

Ok guys, as promised a little review of the Mafex unsmasked Murphy custom head i've received a few days ago.

The sculpt and paint are great. Ok it's not as accurate or detailed as the HT 1/6 BD Robocop but for the price and at this scale it's pretty good IMO. Very pleased. The face got a very detailed paint application with visible veins and the bullet scar on the front.
From front it?s not 100% Weller but I?ve seen worst and much more expensive, and from certain angles it really works.

It looks exactly like Robert John Burke from Robocop 3

Yeah not wrong but at this scale it's the best we can get and from angles it works pretty well.

Does anyone have the Good Smile company Robocop and have thoughts on it compared to MAFEX?

Thanks! I did see that and was curious to see any side by side comparisons to the MAFEX one.

A little late but I just received and opened the GoodSmile Hagane Robocop and compared him to my other 6-7" Robocop figures and it stacks up quite nicely to the current reigning 6" champ MAFEX Robo. The details are more sharply defined on the Hagane and I prefer the torso proportions. I also prefer the base paint color as well. which despite not having the purple/blue airbrushing of the mafex, the hagane is what I consider to be a more accurate shade of grey/silver from the film. I should note that I own the mafex Robocop 3, but from reviews Ive seen of all 3 mafex Robos, 1 & 3 have the same paint job just differennt accessories. I will say that the one area where the mafex blows the hagane out the water is the head sculpt and paint, which much better resembles Weller. The hagane isnt terrible here but it is definitely softer and less detailed in the lips area.

The diecast is nice. It`s in the chest armor and lower legs and feet, which gives it a nice sturdy stance and weight. The whole figure just feels more solidly built than the mafex, which on mine suffered from looser joints than expected. It makes the hagane much easier to handle and play with.

Do I recommend the hagane over the mafex? Mmmm, not sure yet Ive only had it for one day. Do I think its still worth getting if you already have the mafex? absolutely. They are both awesome figures and it helps that they are slightly not in the same scale because now I have a reason to keep them both. I feel like the hagane is closer to neca/mcfarlane scale and mafex goes for marvel legends scale.

20210709_163517.jpg
20210709_163525.jpg
20210709_183806.jpg

Not bad. I was under the impression these Haganes would need to be repainted but no more than any of the others. Looks like a good replacement for the NECA.

Yeah, looks like the best thing about the Hagane is that it'll scale better with NECA's ED.

I still think the MAFEX blows it away in every other way. The chest armor looks too long or something. Who knows? Maybe it's more accurate to the actual suit, but the MAFEX looks more accurate to how I imagine RoboCop is supposed to look.

In other news, that Chinese ebay seller still hasn't sent the head I ordered. Big surprise right?

Hope is not lost! My homeboy in China just told me he shipped my Murphy head! Can't wait to see it...hope it's quality and not a piece of dung. Ugh.

If it's awesome, I'm gonna need to do like Rondesmo and rig a piece that'll attach but still allow articulation.

This is so cool...my most wanted MAFEX, and they clearly will never give it to us, so I'll just take matters into my own hands and make my own. And I even have an extra Robo after my krazy glue mishap, so I could attempt to really battle damage up the arms and legs, too......welll.....if I had any talent I could.

Well, I ordered the head back in May and it arrived a few hours before August.

I think the statute of limitation for feedback ran out or else I'd give him a piece of my mind. That's by far the longest I've ever waited for ebay and for NO reason.

The outer box was crushed (thanks China!) but the head seems fine. Same as all the other heads being made from the same bootleg sculpt I imagine. Yeah, you kinda have to "pretend" to see Peter Weller in there but I'll take what I can get.

I took a teeeeeeny tiny pinkprick of silver and put it on the bullet hold in the head. Thankfully, the paint looks really nice and all the gadgets and gizmos look great and not just flat grey.

Now the hard part. Attaching the damn thing. I just spent two hours with junk parts from bandai model kids and black rubber bands and all kinds of things. I'm not a patient man, but I think I finally got it to where it looks OK, retains articulation, and like Rondesmo said, can easily get the official "battle damaged" neck and helmet on.

NO FREAKING WAY am I crazy enough to try to add the thing little wires around his head!

Anyway, here are some quick snaps I just took...hope they look all right:

robo (3).JPG
robo (4).JPG
robo (5).JPG
robo (6).JPG

Last edited:
Glad you received it!
Looks like mine and yeah your neck works fine!
Ok from face the sculpt is not perfect but from 3/4, it’s work pretty well.

Back