I don't understand the attraction to 1/12 scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
To me, 1/12 scales seems like such a compromise. I understand that for some people, they save money and space, but is that 1/12 scale figure really the best character representation in your collection? I have previously collected things like Burger King toys or whatever just for the novelty of having them, but those were pennies compared to upwards of 100 dollars or more on a 1/12 figure

Are there dedicated 1/12 collectors, or do you split scales? If possible, I would like to hear from 1/12 collectors and even see a 1/12 display or two if possible

Are you referring generally to stuff like Marvel Legends toys? I don't have many of those left in my collection (mostly GI Joe Classified and Ultimates figures recently that are roughly in that scale), but they certainly aren't my favorite scale.

Having said that, if we ever got high end, mixed media figures of characters I like from franchises I care about, I think I would really be into it. I was intrigued years ago when this was shown, but never released:

https://radtoyreview.com/2012/07/10/review-3as-sdcc-2011-action-portable-boba-fett-prototype/
The reality of something like this has been Mezco, which frankly look cheap and awkward, and vastly overpriced for what they seem to be. Nothing I would want on my shelf.

While it’s not my scale, there are companies (like DAM Toys) that are making some pretty impressive figures. I can see the appeal, mainly for people who want to make expansive dioramas and photo stories, but the detail just can’t compete in my eyes as well as 1/6. But all the complete plastic stuff in 1/12 looks like crap to me, and I stopped collecting that stuff almost 20 years ago.

I collect almost exclusively 1/12 stuff.

They're cooler and bigger than the old 3 3/4 figures from the 70s. You may think 1/6 is the better "representation" of characters, but that's awfully subjective. If your aunt comes over and sees a Hot Toys Spider-Man next to a Marvel Legends Spider-Man, she's only gonna see a pair of Spider-Man toys.

The higher end stuff like MAFEX and Mezco are really awesome. MAFEX RoboCop is one of the very best figures I own.

12 inch figures will always just be "dolls" to me. They're too big, take up too much space, and aren't fun to mess around with.

6 inch figures look cool on the shelf and you can also take them down and pose them around and then put them back.

It's just a different form factor, you can do things in 1/12th scale that would be impractical at 1/6th and even the premium brands are much cheaper than 1/6th figures.

Depending on the figure or character, a 1/6 version can't pose for crap. Also no need to worry about peeling pleather, stitches coming undone, and all sorts of nonsense that 1/6 brings. I'm still in the game but not nearly as much as I was and not sure how long I'll stay in it.

I collect almost exclusively 1/12 stuff.

They're cooler and bigger than the old 3 3/4 figures from the 70s. You may think 1/6 is the better "representation" of characters, but that's awfully subjective. If your aunt comes over and sees a Hot Toys Spider-Man next to a Marvel Legends Spider-Man, she's only gonna see a pair of Spider-Man toys.

The higher end stuff like MAFEX and Mezco are really awesome. MAFEX RoboCop is one of the very best figures I own.

12 inch figures will always just be "dolls" to me. They're too big, take up too much space, and aren't fun to mess around with.

6 inch figures look cool on the shelf and you can also take them down and pose them around and then put them back.
Well said, bigger isn't necessarily better, and it seems silly to act elitist when these are all toys at the end of the day

I’m at sixth scale Batman collector primarily however, I do have a few 12th scale pieces I think the compelling thing for me wasn’t so much perfect representation but it’s kind of action figure therapy for me to be able to hold a figure do some really dynamic poses and photography is my motivation and hobby as well I’m starting to learn.

I can see what people enjoy about 1/12. I started there with Mezco and NECA (they’re like 1/10 but whatever, same ballpark). It’s also way easier to create cool dioramas for those scales.

Once I had collected enough though, my room just started to look extremely crowded and I hated it. I felt like I lived in a swap meet kiosk. So I sold all of my stuff and restarted with 1/6 scale, 1/4 scale and X-Plus stuff.

To this day I see smaller scale stuff that makes my inner child do backflips, but I refrain because I just know that leads to more clutter.

Agreed it does start to look cluttered even when you have the figures on decent display just too busy looking. I did set limits for myself I don’t need a whole line or completist also I plan to just throw them in a box and put away if I get tired of looking at them lol. Mezcos Mafex ML i literally tossed the boxes for all of them lol.

I guess it's manufacturers like Mafex that are dedicated to 1/12, but so many others, and growing. Just check out BBTS. they have over 1200 1/12 figures for sale or preorder now

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideSoldOut=True&PageSize=100&Scale=72&o=3
When I am scrolling for new figures, I am seeing more and more of them and wondering who is buying them
There's also the cost factor. You can buy a Marvel Legends or Star Wars Black Series figure for around $25, compared to ten times that for one Hot Toys figure. For some, this is all they can justify for an action figure, for others it allows army building with vehicles and playsets, and there are also a lot more options in characters and franchises.

I have a few, like a previous poster wrote, some of the Mafex stuff is great, and some of the Mezco pieces.

One of my favourite figures in my small collection is Filix' toys "Inkblot" figure, which I think did a better job of capturing Watchmen's Rorschach character than the 1/6 Sooso toys "Hermann" figure

1/12th is the future of the hobby.

Its small enough to allow for vehicles and other items to accompany your display, but large enough that you have the benefit of real clothing -- which was the main grab of 1/6th originally -- and that clothing is getting better and better all the time.
Wow this is actually so spot on!

I just can’t pull the trigger on 1/12th stuff even when I’m tempted. For me, it’s just too small of scale even if some of them look cool. I also think, like any format and scale, it really depends on what type of collector you are and what you want out of your collection. Someone like me who mostly does museum poses, prefers realism over playability, the large scale works better in my collection, even to the point now where I’m getting more into large format statues and selling lots of my 1/6 stuff. But if you like to do crazy poses, photo sets, and really mess with your figures, there’s a lot of appeal to 1/12 over 1/6. The smaller scale and typically lower price point would make me go overboard with 1/12 though. My brother collects 1/12 and below, and his office walls are just lined with figures top to bottom. That’s a little overwhelming to me, but I know if I collected that scale, I’d end up the same way probably :lol

I’m glad we have more higher end options for all types of collectors though. They’re starting to get some really great looking stuff, lots of times at a better value for what you get compared to the 1/6 counterparts. You look at Mezco’s The Crow for instance and all it comes with compared to Sideshow’s or even Hot Toys’ and you can’t help but feel a little gypped at the 1/6 offerings. But 1/12 just doesn’t have the “wow” factor that 1/6, 1/4 and 1/3 have for me.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

When I was a kid I thought that Palitoy's 12" Action Man (aka GI Joe) was the king of toys. It's stuck with me ever since as the perfect balance between scale and detail.

Everything else feels lesser, whether it be smaller or bigger. If I had to pick a second favourite it'd be 3 3/4", since that was the standard set by Kenner with Star Wars.

The later 3 3/4" Hasbro Indiana Jones series was a lot of fun, especially with the vehicles. When news broke that Hasbro was returning to Indy I assumed it would be the same scale again, and if so I'd go back to collecting them. They turned out to be 6" I think (1/12), so I immediately lost interest.

Top reasons to collect 1/12 over 1/6:

1) Pose-ability. My 1/12 mafex spiderman that I have on my desk is fun to mess around with and out into all kinds of crazy poses. No way in hell I’ll do that for my hot toys.

2) price point. And this is a big deal for Star Wars fans. Would you pay $300 for some obscure Jawa figure or cantina band player in 1/6 scale? Hell no! But for 1:12 that’s totally within reach for most.

3) line completionists. many 1:12 lines go deep into the license. Hot toys will NEVER make an admiral Akbar for example.

4) great scale that strikes a balance between detail and yet small enough for diorama making.

That being said, the major major drawback is that 1/12 collections can look depressingly cluttered as people above pointed out. And also when you start to buy these figs in mass the price really stacks up. Buying a handful of the higher end stuff and you’re almost hitting the price of a 1/6 figure. And six 1/12 figures does not have the same shelf presence as one really good 1/6 figure.

Basically the way I see it, if shelf presence is important then go for 1/6 or even the bigger 1/4 scale and above. If you enjoy the dopamine hit of building a collection and getting new figs then 1/12 really offers you a whole lot more than 1/6.

Last edited:
Back