Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe Jungle Jom does a really good job at weeding out movies that aren't godd before seeing them. It's perfectly possible for this to be the worst movie seen in a long time.

Maybe. But does it really matter? I really don't understand the desire of both sides to tell people their opinion of the movie is wrong and/or try to discredit their opinion of it.

I'm not discrediting his dislike of the movie... only his ability to express it without resorting to histrionics.

Geez, you guys are still bantering back and forth about this movie? Some people liked it and some didn't. End of story. Seriously, what's the problem here?

Geez, you guys are still bantering back and forth about this movie? Some people liked it and some didn't. End of story. Seriously, what's the problem here?

Actually, we're beyond that now. It looks like we're just trying to gauge how many counts of Fanboy Childhood Molestation that Spielberg, Lucas, & Co need to be charged with.

I'm not discrediting his dislike of the movie... only his ability to express it without resorting to histrionics.

My point it what difference does it make to you if he wants to be over the top in his dislike of the movie?

Lord knows how many times i've cursed the screen during the Alien vs. Predator movies....and Spider-Man 3......

It doesn't bother me in the least if someone does or doesn't like the movie. But this comment:
I'm glad you guys got what you wanted. I surely didn't... and expected at least a competent film. Not a money grab.

really gets under my skin. It comes across as if to say that people who did like the movie aren't capable of recognizing an incompetent film, or else we somehow have much lower standards of entertainment value.

Someone doesn't like the movie? Fine. But when people start making it personal, they should be prepared to get some spirited responses.

I just watched Animal House...Karren Allen was in that...I never knew that...

Her clothes fell off too...:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1

I read half of the Darbont script. Loved what I read. Defintly better then what was on screen, though I liked the opening more in KOTCS. But I enjoyed the whole thing with meeting Marion, and the Plane battle was really cool.

I cant belive Lucas kicked him out. He sickens me.

I read half of the Darbont script. Loved what I read. Defintly better then what was on screen

Read the other half. A lot of people like to bash Lucas and I am the first to agree Darabont has a fine pedigree. But Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a much better script than the one he turned in.

It's been very interesting to see the response to the film. I don't have a problem with people who didn't like it, but the reasons why are very telling. Spielberg deliberately set out to make a very '80s film and people don't understand why it doesn't compare to the flash of a contemporary action picture. Are they retarded? You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

There are many valid reasons to dislike the film. I personally found it great fun and it's one of only two Indiana Jones films to have emotional resonance (the other being The Last Crusade obviously). I don't have a problem with people who dislike it and can articulate why. But an awful lot of the reaction falls thusly:

• The Internet. It is cool to dislike things. Lord knows I can't be seen liking anything. Especially anything related to my childhood. Things were better then. The streets were paved with gold.

• I am 30 years old and don't understand why this movie didn't impact me the way action movies did when I was 13. It clearly can't be me so everyone involved with the movie must suck.

• I would have hated to see an Indiana Jones movie made in a contemporary style because it wouldn't have matched the other three. But I hate that they made an Indiana Jones movie in vintage style because modern movies have destroyed my attention span.

• I don't even know how to watch movies anymore. I will completely miss the theme of the movie. I will complain that plot threads like Spalko being psychic are never resolved, even though Spalko is clearly a fraud and I just wasn't paying attention.

• The movie was poorly made. I will pretend the motorcycle chase is crap instead of recognizing it

• The fridge sequence ruined the movie for me, because the other three Indiana Jones movies were incredibly realistic depictions of plausible events.

• Can you believe Indy just stood there at the end while an external force eliminated the bad guys? That would never happen in a real Indiana Jones movie. Especially the first one.

• There's a kid in it. Even though it's thematically relevant and Shia puts in a good performance, it's probably better that people don't see me liking anything with a kid in it.

• There's CGI in it. Everyone knows the way an illusion is achieved is far more important than the story being told.

• It can't possibly be that a movie is simply not to my taste. It must be the worst movie ever made and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves. Never mind that Roger Ebert gave it four stars. What does that guy know?

And then we get to my personal favorite:

• Oh look. People on the Internet are having a discussion I'm not personally interested in having. I'd better post a quick note to let them know.

My point it what difference does it make to you if he wants to be over the top in his dislike of the movie?

Because it's white noise.

If you want to DISCUSS the movie and do so rationally, great. But if all you are going to do is emote in melodramatic fashion (and multiple times in the same thread) people have a right to scoff and dismiss.

And the Darabont script was shockingly disappointing. I'm quite surprised to find out that I'm happy that they didn't make that one.

Oh, and barbelith rules. :rock

Well, I can't really dispute that. I disagree, but at least you have a logical reason behind it.

Hey, I loved the movie too. Saw it twice to be sure I wasnt fooling my self, still loved it. Its great fun, im just liking Darbonts idea's better.

Back