InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People should definitely send messages to inart via facebook saying that the eyes on all of their figures are set too deeply. I'd prefer normal sculpted eyes over these.
I rather they just continue to improve their PERS. Just look at what Hot Toys has been able to achieve with their PERS system, even though it took them until last year to finally achieve it. INART is in that early phase where the eyes, or maybe eyelids, are a bit too thick. They can definitely continue to improve in that area instead of resulting to just going with a static painted eye.

Figure looks great even under Justin's ****** lighting setup.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 18.05.05.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 18.05.57.png

I know people here still have a lot of respect for Asmus (and a weird level of gratefulness for them happily taking their money), but… come on

It would have been nice if Justin had the updated re-rooted GtW sculpt to also compare it against the more similar price point.

I’d like to see a side by side with a properly futzed Asmus using the updated sculpt too.

InArt looks tops. The rooting and paint work are spectacular albeit the hair is a bit too poofy in Justine’s pics. Clothing looks awesome.

I still don’t like the derpy look of the PERS on this and I still see more Ian in Asmus sculpt than I do in IA’s although overall IA’s looks far more realistic due to the superior rooting and paint apps.

I’d like to see a side by side with a properly futzed Asmus using the updated sculpt too.

InArt looks tops. The rooting and paint work are spectacular albeit the hair is a bit too poofy in Justine’s pics. Clothing looks awesome.

I still don’t like the derpy look of the PERS on this and I still see more Ian in Asmus sculpt than I do in IA’s although overall IA’s looks far more realistic due to the superior rooting and paint apps.
Are you planning on doing any Middle Earth inspired bases for these (or any other LOTR) figures?

And I agree, the PERS eyes definitely not help any of these figures. I understand people like them to avoid the deadstare we get with so many figures but I don't think we're at the point that these eyeballs are truly advancing the hobby. Not yet anyway.

I'd like to see the Asmus sculpt in the trash can :D Seriously, the quality drop from their prototype to that monstrosity they released, it's just inexcusable.
Honestly I’m not sure how they got away with it, it’s basically a scam when you compare the final product to the prototype.

There's people in the comments of Justin video saying they prefer Asmus version, I have the Asmus version in front of me, are they trolling or am I missing something. Genuine question haven't collected long the difference in quality to my eyes is huge, or maybe I'm needing new prescription

Are you planning on doing any Middle Earth inspired bases for these (or any other LOTR) figures?

And I agree, the PERS eyes definitely not help any of these figures. I understand people like them to avoid the deadstare we get with so many figures but I don't think we're at the point that these eyeballs are truly advancing the hobby. Not yet anyway.
I like what HT are doing with their SRE system a lot. So far the most recent figures shown with it look amazing, especially Sabine. The old PERS I can definitely do without.

As far as stands go, yes, Middle Earth displays will be available. I made them years ago for all the Asmus, SS and other 1/6 stuff that came out so I’ll for sure continue that.

I have a center post mount I use for ANH Leia that doesn’t poof her dress out in the back and is completely hidden that I think will work great for Gandalf due to his long robes.

There's people in the comments of Justin video saying they prefer Asmus version, I have the Asmus version in front of me, are they trolling or am I missing something. Genuine question haven't collected long the difference in quality to my eyes is huge, or maybe I'm needing new prescription
They need to convince themselves that they didn’t waste their money.

I don't get the love for the seperate moving eyes, I hate them on Hot Toys figures. It's so clunky and time consuming trying to get both eyes to sit right.
You rather have cross eyes that you cant fix at all? Its always a good thing to have more control. Anyway these figures should be given the time to futz.

I'd rather separate eyes than take the risk of PERS that arrive wonky from the factory. That's the main issue for me.

One InArt Joker sculpt arrived fine and the other was a little wonky, and there's nothing that can be done other than remove the mechanism so that they're separate joysticks. Range of motion seems to be better when separate too. In most cases I'd rather they just be painted though.
Same. The individual eyes aren't hard to align either in my experience. Like futzing any other part of the figure, it takes patience to get right but once you do, your figure can look pretty amazing. However, for some folks who prefer to just take their figure out of the box and plop them on a stand without any sort of adjusting the way you see some figures being sold on eBay, I guess can see the frustration with having to put a little effort into the display.

I'm considering picking up other HT sculpts that have singular moveable eyes just so I can take out the InArt system and replace them with the HT ones. The only thing stopping me is that it's a pricey endeavor that don't feel like spending the required money on at the moment :thud:

You rather have cross eyes that you cant fix at all? Its always a good thing to have more control. Anyway these figures should be given the time to futz.
Agreed! Given how much we pay for these things, I don't see why it's too much to ask to put them together with a little time and care.

Last edited:
To me, InArt's set is amazing. Loving the light-up staff and the amazingly detailed paint apps, not only on the head sculpt but even the hands.

As far as comparing head sculpts, there is absolutely no doubt to me that InArt's is better painted and in particular, has the better hair/beard setup.

But...

While InArt's sculpt makes for a fantastic Gandalf, I feel that Asmus's sculpt captures Ian McKellen better.

I wish we could do an experiment and place 100 InArt Gandalfs and 100 Asmus Gandalfs with new head on a table with a sign that reads "Take One for FREE"... and let 100 people choose and see which ones are left.

I suppose ebay prices over time will be a pretty good indication.

Same. The individual eyes aren't hard to align either in my experience. Like futzing any other part of the figure, it takes patience to get right but once you do, your figure can look pretty amazing. However, for some folks who prefer to just take their figure out of the box and plop them on a stand without any sort of adjusting the way you see some figures being sold on eBay, I guess can see the frustration with having to put a little effort into the display.

I'm considering picking up other HT sculpts that have singular moveable eyes just so I can take out the InArt system and replace them with the HT ones. The only thing stopping me is that it's a pricey thing to do and don't feel like spending the required money on it :thud:

Agreed! Given how much we pay for these things, I don't see why it's too much to ask to put them together with a little a little time and care.
I like what HT are doing with their SRE system a lot. So far the most recent figures shown with it look amazing, especially Sabine. The old PERS I can definitely do without.

As far as stands go, yes, Middle Earth displays will be available. I made them years ago for all the Asmus, SS and other 1/6 stuff that came out so I’ll for sure continue that.

I have a center post mount I use for ANH Leia that doesn’t poof her dress out in the back and is completely hidden that I think will work great for Gandalf due to his long robes.
The latest HT single eye system figures haven't suffered from the thick eye lids. I only have Luke ROTJ (picture below) and Batman Returns and both are fine (had Ashoka and Maul briefly too and those seemed good too).

If I'm being honest, the thick cut on the bottom eye lid on Joker and Gandalf is reminiscent of the awful Sideshow experiment with their inserted eyeballs with the Hoth Han and Luke figures. Obviously the InArt Joker and Gandalf are incredible figures and will look great on display but it shouldn't be too much to ask that they solve this issue. It's at least twice as thick as the HT one.

0B1B487E-B947-4130-9993-1CF8111AB326.jpeg

Back