InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately that first pic highlights the thing that still bugs me about these InArt figures. Those deep cut eyelids and the eye positioning on his right eye do look a bit off.

At the very least they need to get that cut a little less deep (older HT like the 89 Joker or Batman Returns figure weren't so deep) and then of course just switch to the separate eye system.
Joker kind of hid it but you make a comparison between the Inart's Joker, Pennywise, and Gandalf in comparison with their competitors and the eyes look terrible. The eyelids scaled to life size would be like half an inch wide.

For Gandalf, without the dark eyeshadow, it's clear how deeply sunken his eyes look too. They look like Hot Toys PERS from 2011.

Last edited:
Agreed, it would beg the question whether they’d be more likely to loosen up over time, which would be a royal pain to deal with. Then again, if the eyes aren’t perfectly aligned for the current dual setup during a figure’s production, it will just have the same problems.

I think InArt should just focus on improving QA for existing PERS and nobody should feel the need for individually moving eyes
Individual control is vastly superior in my view. for starters, if the eyes were not properly aligned perfectly at the factory, it allows you to adjust them. Second, it allows for adjustments of perceived focal length in the event you want the figure looking at something close up (like Gandalf looking at the butterfly he's holding) without getting that "distant stare" that people often complain about with static eyes.

Individual control is vastly superior in my view. for starters, if the eyes were not properly aligned perfectly at the factory, it allows you to adjust them. Second, it allows for adjustments of perceived focal length in the event you want the figure looking at something close up (like Gandalf looking at the butterfly he's holding) without getting that "distant stare" that people often complain about with static eyes.
That’s a great point and would give a nice options that I hadn’t considered!

Joker kind of hid it but you make a comparison between the Inart's Joker, Pennywise, and Gandalf in comparison with their competitors and the eyes look terrible. The eyelids scaled to life size would be like half an inch wide.

For Gandalf, without the dark eyeshadow, it's clear how deeply sunken his eyes look too. They look like Hot Toys PERS from 2011.
I dont think its hidden with jokor. It shows in person but for some reason it shows a lot more for me on the jail version

I can see GtW but I can also see GtG.

336CDE27-A5DC-498A-BE31-86C6C34BD860.jpeg

8C086EF8-E417-463A-90E6-BA8C5721FF6D.jpeg

2303644B-5C33-445E-B263-43BBC617CB87.jpeg

8B5C16F8-9CEF-4045-8326-B65D708E1998.jpeg

AC4591FA-964B-4ADF-9666-A054DC8CD305.jpeg

D2960D12-BDA1-4118-A443-44C91606DF53.jpeg

3A26B435-F832-41EE-9813-027F869C179D.jpeg

Fully agreed. This is why I'm an advocate for individually moving eyes, and I always remove the mechanism from any parrelel system.

Last edited:
This, I never understood. I'm not a big fan of PERS in the first place, although InArt actually does them correctly so I'm warming up to it now. That said, individually moving eyeballs is just going to lead to a lot of lazy eyed figures.
I don't get the love for the seperate moving eyes, I hate them on Hot Toys figures. It's so clunky and time consuming trying to get both eyes to sit right.

I don't get the love for the seperate moving eyes, I hate them on Hot Toys figures. It's so clunky and time consuming trying to get both eyes to sit right.
Really depends in some aspects they are a bonus especially as the single stick tends to have wonky eyes which is an issue. Certain figures like Pennywise need the separate eyes.

I'd rather separate eyes than take the risk of PERS that arrive wonky from the factory. That's the main issue for me.

One InArt Joker sculpt arrived fine and the other was a little wonky, and there's nothing that can be done other than remove the mechanism so that they're separate joysticks. Range of motion seems to be better when separate too. In most cases I'd rather they just be painted though.

I think Gandalf and Aragorn will decide for me if I embrace the 'rolling eyes' or not. I have not had a problem yet with misaligned eyes, but I can see the value in separated joysticks for full control.

At the moment I prefer moveable eyes to static painted eyes only because it adds to the articulation -- also because factories tend to go with the dead-stare straight ahead (as eyes to the side are too limiting for too many people) so you never get any variance and every figure seems to be staring off at the horizon.

I think Gandalf and Aragorn will decide for me if I embrace the 'rolling eyes' or not. I have not had a problem yet with misaligned eyes, but I can see the value in separated joysticks for full control.

At the moment I prefer moveable eyes to static painted eyes only because it adds to the articulation -- also because factories tend to go with the dead-stare straight ahead (as eyes to the side are too limiting for too many people) so you never get any variance and every figure seems to be staring off at the horizon.
Part of that dead eye look is, I feel, because most of these companies are using decals that are just a bit too small. The pupil isn’t entirely visible on too many real eyes unless someone is actually opening them wide.

Back