InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest HT single eye system figures haven't suffered from the thick eye lids. I only have Luke ROTJ (picture below) and Batman Returns and both are fine (had Ashoka and Maul briefly too and those seemed good too).

If I'm being honest, the thick cut on the bottom eye lid on Joker and Gandalf is reminiscent of the awful Sideshow experiment with their inserted eyeballs with the Hoth Han and Luke figures. Obviously the InArt Joker and Gandalf are incredible figures and will look great on display but it shouldn't be too much to ask that they solve this issue. It's at least twice as thick as the HT one.

View attachment 663273
I think the deep-set eyes work really well for Gandalf since they make him look old and weary. Joker's eyes were definitely set too far back though. Hopefully, Aragorn doesn't have that problem.

I think the deep-set eyes work really well for Gandalf since they make him look old and weary. Joker's eyes were definitely set too far back though. Hopefully, Aragorn doesn't have that problem.
I agree the old-man aspect makes it less an issue with Gandalf, just hoping it's not the only way they know how to do it. I guess we'll see with their other upcoming sculpts.

The latest HT single eye system figures haven't suffered from the thick eye lids. I only have Luke ROTJ (picture below) and Batman Returns and both are fine (had Ashoka and Maul briefly too and those seemed good too).

If I'm being honest, the thick cut on the bottom eye lid on Joker and Gandalf is reminiscent of the awful Sideshow experiment with their inserted eyeballs with the Hoth Han and Luke figures. Obviously the InArt Joker and Gandalf are incredible figures and will look great on display but it shouldn't be too much to ask that they solve this issue. It's at least twice as thick as the HT one.

View attachment 663273
They'll get there. It's just some fine tuning needed.

View attachment 663273
That's why I said I hope they continue to improve with it as time goes on. This is only their second figure and also the only company to try PERS outside of Hot Toys. There's room for them to improve with it.

Hot Toys had terrible looking PERS until about a year or two ago when INART came into the scene. That's why we used to see PERS less and less from them, until now where everything has PERS.

Guys…seriously, we don’t have eagle eyes nor do we come equipped with extreme zoom function like a cyborg.

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

The eyelids are fine. The pics above are SUPER blown up.

Some of us need to chillax 😂

That's why I said I hope they continue to improve with it as time goes on. This is only their second figure and also the only company to try PERS outside of Hot Toys. There's room for them to improve with it.

Hot Toys had terrible looking PERS until about a year or two ago when INART came into the scene. That's why we used to see PERS less and less from them, until now where everything has PERS.
I'm not sure when HT started the single eye system exactly but Batman Returns from late 2015 is still great if that's the first. Not quite the same situation as an actual head sculpt given the cowl and mouth plates, etc.

Seems like the first separate eyes sculpts in the DX line appears to be Jack Sparrow in 2018 and then Maul in late 2019. A bit more forgiveness on those like Joker maybe given that they're heavily made up but Maul was well executed. Never saw Sparrow in person.

Anyhow, hoping to get my Gandalf invoice soon but I'm likely a later batch if that's a thing again with this release. Gandalf and Aragorn are now my two most anticipated figures.

View attachment 663273
Agreed.

At least with Gandalf it appears someone could remove the eyes and shave the eyelids down a bit from inside the sculpt with a dremel. Unfortunately with Joker it’s thick on the outside making adjustments impossible.

I’d say HT has been putting out great looking PERS figures for years now. Only their very first tries have looked funky. 89 Joker and Bats, 92 Bats, all three Mauls, latest Sparrow, CW Ahsoka just to name a few that I own all look awesome.

DX01, DX05 and maybe even the DX11 would be the few I would say turned out looking worse with PERS.

I think the SRE system they have now is the pinnacle for that feature though. Yeah, it takes a little more effort to get them aligned but at least you can get them there.

InArt Joker has a thick outer lower eyelid, but deep set eyes which doesn’t work.

Ledger had a slight ”poof” to his lower eyelids, but the InArt sculpts overstated this detail.

C4A73587-1927-4246-A88D-A2F92515A52D.jpeg

Gandalf, we’re talking about the “inner eyelid” instead of outer, inner would never be that thick.

1:1 would be 33 microns, or 0.033 millimeters for “inner”.

They’ve improved this issue with Aragorn, at least on the prototype. Thinner inner & outer lids as well as no recessed eyes, maybe too thin on his left eyelid, his right looks about perfect. But these PERS just don’t capture his eyes at all, they’re easily the biggest characteristic to Aragorn.

If they could get the saturation in the iris to be more vivid, a wet appearance in the sclera & iris, as well as a sweat appearance to the skin, it would help a lot. He had a good bit of facial hair also, enough to warrant a real mustache and beard imo.

Custom artists achieve this with sculpted painted eyes all the time, unfortunately InArt PERS aren’t there yet which is a shame because I don’t see InArt revisiting this character once they master it.

966564F4-8B80-4344-AEB2-0AA3477DB49B.jpeg

47F4F680-0BAE-4605-9178-3E6EC6BEBDAF.gif

Last edited:
The good news is -

I definitely see this sparking a lot of custom artists to nail Viggo’s likeness and eyes with their custom 3D printed sculpts, rooted hair, and paint apps.

It doesn’t appear that InArt noted Viggo’s upper lip scar on their sculpt.

Since InArt nailed Aragorn’s clothing and boots (at least on prototype) hopefully it translates well, those boots seem to be the most difficult aspect.

This will create enough interest for proper 3D printed sculpts to be made, before it was only one or two artists attempting this.

Last edited:
The good news is -

I definitely see this sparking a lot of custom artists to nail Viggo’s likeness and eyes with their custom 3D printed sculpts, rooted hair, and paint apps.

Since InArt nailed Aragorn’s clothing and boots (at least on prototype) hopefully it translates well, those boots seem to be the most difficult aspect.

This will create enough interest for proper 3D printed sculpts to be made, before it was only one or two artists attempting this.
I think the actual good news here is that 99.9% of us will be happy if Aragorn turns out like the proto.

Not to mention he'll be the greatest 1/6 figure produced to date; the first figure that truly feels like the character shrunk down for your collection instead of a representation of said character.

And we're gettin that custom quality at a fraction of the price of going down the rabbit hole - that's an absolutely huge win

The good news is -

i think the path they took with viggo and having sculpted facial hair was the move. most artists are notoriously bad with bearded characters, especially like medium to small stubble characters. theres only like one or two artists in the world in our scale that can make facial hair look good

i don't think custom artists will tackle viggo's likeness, or at least its very slim. lately custom projects have been trickling compared to how they used to. maybe a bald sculpt with sculpted eyes down the line or creg's existing sculpt (i think he made one). before inart, there have been a few custom aragorns and they arent exactly the best in capturing his likeness. only way i can see someone do his sculpt is if its a passion project or if inart's production wildly turns sideways when delivering the finished product and someone is hellbent on commissioning an artist to do it. if gandalf was any telling, i think lots of people will be satisfied with the product enough to not justify another run. cant say much about joker though, people notoriously mess him up, inart included

also slim but maybe there will be people who will repaint and rehair inart's sculpt down the one, but no one has attempted to repaint or change gandalf yet (but these are influencer copies that were sent out)

Back