How do YOU feel about Hot Toys re-releases?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do YOU feel about Hot Toys re-releases?

• Don't Care

Votes: 99 22.5%
  • Happy to have a second crack at a figure

Votes: 230 52.3%
  • Getting annoyed by them

Votes: 66 15.0%
  • Frustrated and view this practice as unfair

Votes: 45 10.2%

• Total voters
I feel in time the old ones will end up worth more. A first print book has typos and errors, and is more popular than the superior second print. A first pressing vinyl record is more popular than a second pressing. Why not with these?

I don't mind them re releasing some figures - particularly if they are improving on the likeness, materials used or extra accessories. However if they are going to spend time re doing figures, then they should quit buying up new licences if they can't produce anything from them in a decent time frame.

I don't collect Batman or Iron Man and that's what Hot Toys is all about these days, I love to get a chance to get HT Godfather, that was one that I always regretted passing on. Any word on if they plan on doing any reissues of Rocky or Rambo? I hope they just make completely new figures for Rocky and Rambo and know reissues, whats done is done, lets see some completely new figures for Rocky 1, Rocky II and Rambo IV.

I have a question on the reissues, are they all going to be improved editions? or are they going to be the same? This all may be happening because HT wants to get rid of a lot of old parts and make a profit from it all, probably wrong, but nothing surprises me in this hobby.

I have no problem with re-releases, in fact I'm a bit thrilled cause it gives me a chance to own some figures I had to miss out on for one reason or another.

one thing for sure , people have to rethink their asking prices in The Marketplace . why would i pay 350.00 for a T2 or top dollar for something that will be released in the near future. unless they are banking that they get a dumb freak to bite.

I'm all about the remakes especially if the AVP Preds are redone!
Id also like a Rambo 1st Blood and a Blade redo. I missed out on the origionals and personally think they look dated and need to be revisited. Blade still looks good but can you imagine a remake with today's skills!?! That would simply be awesome!!!

one thing for sure , people have to rethink their asking prices in The Marketplace . why would i pay 350.00 for a T2 or top dollar for something that will be released in the near future. unless they are banking that they get a dumb freak to bite.

They better ***king not rerelease any Terminator figures at least till they've made the damn BD ones we've been waiting for.

I need a T-800 T2 BD. I'd skip on a rerelease of the clean version, just as I did the original release.

This all reminds me of the games industry.

They are trying to kill the pre-owned market by having codes that unlock content on the games you buy which means you have to have your console setup to the internet to access something you're already paid for on the disc itself. Anyway they are doing this cos they want the money from the pre-owned sales that the retailers are getting.

Hot toys are doing the same thing in theory, they are doing the re-releases to get the money that people are getting for the figures on the aftermarket.

The reason this translates to greed on the games companies part, and possible HT is thus....

In order for the game to become a pre-owned game on the shelf is that the game was originally bought brand new by a direct customer and later sold to the retailer, so the game company has already got 100% of the sale of that game, they now want 200%, they want the money from the second sale of that game too.

HT are doing the same thing. In order for the figure to be available on the secondary market it had to be bought by the seller from HT for 100% of the cost, HT now wants 200% like the game companies and they rerelease the figure again to undercut the secondary market and get that second 100% sale.

One of the key arguements against what the games industry is doing in their attemtp to destory the secondary market is that those who buy from the pre-owned shelves do so cos they either can't afford the game new. So by destroying the secondary market those customers wont suddenly have the money to buy the game new, this isn't the case with HT though as the prices on the secondary market go up, but HT in their actions will hurt the secondary market sales.

So what about the secondary market sales? can they affect HT and the games companies, well i've observed that many guy & girls here sell old figures to buy new figures, many guys/girls sell old games to help fund new games. So if it comes to a point where people can't get enough off a sale to buy new figures that will hurt HT's sales of new figures, same with games, if people can't sell their games, they'll have lees money to spend on new games.

HT are pretty far off collectors not being able to sell a figure for a good chunk to put towards another, scalping prices will decrease at least on figures with remakes, i don't imagine the MK 1 Iron Man still selling for $800+ once the new one releases and has a wisder production amount to go around.

You think the route HT are going to undercut the secondary market (customer selling old figures to finance new figures) will impact HT poorly in the future?

i dont understand the above mentioned concept, wouldnt u be able to a buy a cheaper item in secondary market cos of re releases , so if u missed out on the release u can still buy at an ordinary price instead of an inflated price, isnt that good for a collector but bad for a scalper, u might not even have to sell a old toy to fund a new one if prices are kept low instead of inflated prices

Well, considering I have only been collecting since November...I welcome re-releases. I've paid through the nose for some of my figures so its nice to not have to pay 2x or 3x original price.

I only started collecting in 2011 so I welcome rereleases. I know some people are mad that their collection is not so "special" anymore and they say new collectors are "selfish" for wanting a second chance at the figures, but how does that affect them that new collectors also have the figures? unless they plan on selling their collection for a profit I dont see what the big deal is. If they just collect for enjoyment then whether or not they are special should no be important.

i dont understand the above mentioned concept, wouldnt u be able to a buy a cheaper item in secondary market cos of re releases , so if u missed out on the release u can still buy at an ordinary price instead of an inflated price, isnt that good for a collector but bad for a scalper, u might not even have to sell a old toy to fund a new one if prices are kept low instead of inflated prices

No. In the long run it actually hurts HT. Re-releasing a figure as we've seen knocks down the value of the original on the secondary market. Well, many people hoping to get that high price (on a figure HT's already gotten money for), would likely turn around and buy 2, 3, 4+ new Hot Toys figures with the take on the resale. Stripping the collectors of that cash hurts Hot Toys directly. It's not like they'll make that back re-releasing figures people already own and I doubt there're enough new customers at the higher new price to justify the hit they take from those who'd purchase products with resale cash. So in the end, less revenue = less product and/or cutbacks to compensate for the loss of cash. In the end, both HT and collectors lose.

No. In the long run it actually hurts HT. Re-releasing a figure as we've seen knocks down the value of the original on the secondary market. Well, many people hoping to get that high price (on a figure HT's already gotten money for), would likely turn around and buy 2, 3, 4+ new Hot Toys figures with the take on the resale. Stripping the collectors of that cash hurts Hot Toys directly. It's not like they'll make that back re-releasing figures people already own and I doubt there're enough new customers at the higher new price to justify the hit they take from those who'd purchase products with resale cash. So in the end, less revenue = less product and/or cutbacks to compensate for the loss of cash. In the end, both HT and collectors lose.

:exactly:......A large percentage of collector's use money from selling figures to buy new. Check out the Freaks sale thread. Heck certain figures going for less than retail while others at or above retail. Collector's will be more hesitant / selective buying product not knowing which will fetch "at least" a break even return. It'll hit HT were it counts eventually....

HT wants the secondary market- they want those dollars you are spending for grail figures- that is why they reissue!

HT wants the secondary market- they want those dollars you are spending for grail figures- that is why they reissue!

Sad thing is, they can't see through their short-sighted greed that they already get those dollars. In the end that hurts both them and their customers. Instead of getting greedy for cashgrabs, they should've just focused on new product. :dunno

Last edited:
In the end that hurts both them and their customers. Instead of getting greedy for cashgrabs, they should've just focused on new product. :dunno

Exactly, figures that were $120-$200 go for double or more depending on how popular and rare the figure is. HT would rather re-issue and soak you for the new rate figures go for.

Back