Hot Toys X-Men: Days of Future Past - Wolverine (1973 Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. . .bare bones, mass produced doll for $300 is hard to justify for me. But I've got a great custom Jackman Wolverine that cost me way more than that, so I'm a loon anyway.

Yeah. . .bare bones, mass produced doll for $300 is hard to justify for me. But I've got a great custom Jackman Wolverine that cost me way more than that, so I'm a loon anyway.
I think that's sort of the irony when it comes to customs. I (sort of) have no problem spending the money on a well done custom (within reason to my personal budget), but when it comes to mass produced figures, I still get a little uneasy about ordering a figure that's in the above average price range :lol (though that gap is closing quite quickly these days)

Last edited:
As hard as it is for me to believe, X-Men Origins probably has the most definitive Wolverine design.
The vest, flannel shirt and leather jacket combo is on par with his bar fight attire from X1 as his best fully dressed look and then getting him down to just the best with the dog tags and his far better physique in the later movies gives two great, ‘unmistakably Wolverine’ looks. His hair in the origins promo material would be ideal.
Shame the old HT fig looks soo dated now.

This DOFP figure is pure quality but none of the outfit combos really do it for me.

That Origins Wolverine is my favorite figure in my collection, though admittedly, I long ago swapped out the head with the Eleven one. But aside from the brown jacket with yellow stripes being the definitive outfit (a version of it being what he wears across the first four films), the Origins hairstyle is my favorite live action Wolverine look.

Out of all of Jackman's Wolverine hairstyles, the Origins one looks the most like an actual hairstyle a normal person might have. The DOFP hairstyle, in particular, is pretty goofy to me. Just imagine Logan looking in the mirror every morning, making sure the sides of his hair spike at just the perfect angle, and then pulling down that one little curl of fringe to really pull the whole look together.

Last edited:
That Origins Wolverine is my favorite figure in my collection, though admittedly, I long ago swapped out the head with the Eleven one. But aside from the brown jacket with yellow stripes being the definitive outfit (a version of it being what we wears across the first four films), the Origins hairstyle is my favorite live action Wolverine look.

Out of all of Jackman's Wolverine hairstyles, the Origins one looks the most like an actual hairstyle a normal person might have. The DOFP hairstyle, in particular, is pretty goofy to me. Just imagine Logan looking in the mirror every morning, making sure the sides of his hair spike at just the perfect angle, and then pulling down that one little curl of fringe to really pull the whole look together.
It would seem a bit of a contradiction in his character in a way. I think we're meant to assume he just wakes up with his hair like that.

I think that's sort of the irony when it comes to customs. I (sort of) have no problem spending the money on a well done custom (within reason to my personal budget), but when it comes to mass produced figures, I still get a little uneasy about ordering a figure that's in the above average price range :lol (though that gap is closing quite quickly these days)
When it was released, I did some serious soul searching about whether I was willing to pull the trigger for Rainman's Dude (Lebowski) figure. I think it was around $750. Now thinking of it as essentially the price of two bare bones HT figures, it seems like the deal of the century.

When it was released, I did some serious soul searching about whether I was willing to pull the trigger for Rainman's Dude (Lebowski) figure. I think it was around $750. Now thinking of it as essentially the price of two bare bones HT figures, it seems like the deal of the century.

Which is really wild considering just outfit sets these days are like $400-$500. But no one ever complains about pricing in customs forums, which is what blows my mind. For all intents and purposes, 3D printing should've brought costs down, but it's done the opposite. It's lowered barriers to entry, so even more people are getting in on the game of charging $200 for an unpainted headsculpt

Which is really wild considering just outfit sets these days are like $400-$500. But no one ever complains about pricing in customs forums, which is what blows my mind. For all intents and purposes, 3D printing should've brought costs down, but it's done the opposite. It's lowered barriers to entry, so even more people are getting in on the game of charging $200 for an unpainted headsculpt
Prices like that are why I could never get in for a custom figure. I'd rather wait and see if any of my wants get official releases. If not, eh, most of them are high profile enough to happen at some point. I can't fathom throwing 2K at a single toy, even though one could argue that my FF Omnis alone cost 1K and they're just books for kids... The only character I could entertain would be a Jude Law Lenny Belardo because that has 0.00000000000000000000000% chances of ever happening. But I'm the only one who'd be interested in such a figure, which renders the whole point moot.

Come to think of it, the only custom project I joined in that gained a bit of steam was a Bioshock Infinite Elizabeth, but she was abandoned due to lack of interest IIRC.

Market forces. Hot Toys and the custom market are all reflecting that, I suppose.

Going to preorder the deluxe after all seems $330 is the standard nowadays for a HT figure. The best part of this figure will be the arms and leather jacket. I hope HT keeps the real leather jacket thing going for a good while cause it will be much better for future figures that requires it in their outfit to be done. Especially if they want to compete with InArt.

Going to preorder the deluxe after all seems $330 is the standard nowadays for a HT figure. The best part of this figure will be the arms and leather jacket. I hope HT keeps the real leather jacket thing going for a good while cause it will be much better for future figures that requires it in their outfit to be done. Especially if they want to compete with InArt.
This is our problem. We are allowing the prices to increase at a break-neck pace. I know I'm in the minority. It's obvious for whatever reason(s) people are paying, or they wouldn't still be in business. Even the crap that's been announced that I'm considering buying may not be purchased due to price. $260+ for Morbius? :rolleyes: I'm not considering Morbius, just an example. That's reaching 3 bills when all is said and done. Luckily, for now, some of the stuff I do want is under $230 total. Unfortunately, there are these lower tier companies stepping in with licenses I do want. Their quality, at least for me, has not warranted the cost.

I wanna pre-order this so bad, but the 2 year wait is a major buzzkill. No gain. Just the loss of whatever the NRD is and 2+ years of waiting.

Back