Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's another contender!
Though if I get a Jedi Knight Luke, might have them facing each-other (respectively: helmet off - cloak down) sabers in hand, Grogu between them.
Kind of bridges the gap, between the OT, and FavRoniverse, and has a somewhat cathartic call back to the once still hopeful, inspiring Luke, before the Disney sequels destroyed him.:lol

Last edited:

man I’m so confused. I won’t deny, that photo makes it look thicker than I like. But then in other videos and photos, it looks like the promos.

Still looks significantly heavier than the promos there. Don’t really trust Youtube videos either due to the compression.

Last edited:
I prefer weathered over clean look, but on that pic chrisstbh posted it does look overly done, but on hippo's video it looks good.

These figures are painted by hand so there could be some diffrences from one another.

I prefer weathered over clean look, but on that pic chrisstbh posted it does look overly done, but on hippo's video it looks good.

These figures are painted by hand so there could be some diffrences from one another.
Nobody likes a $300 gamble on a figure between “looks okay” and “what have they DONE?!”. QC should be tighter than that.

Why would you prefer inaccuracy to accuracy? Especially on figures at these prices that claim "authentic and detailed likeness". Genuinely don't understand.

A lot of aspects of these figures aren't hand paint, just printed on. And one that turns out looking like that should be thrown in the defect bin; not shipped to someone that paid $375 plus shipping and taxes/import.

Hot Toys dropped the ball here, shouldn't be defended at all imo.

Just chiming in from experience, the two BD T-800s I own from same batch, one is overdone (ketchup), other looks better, those figures were released long ago, but just stating the possibility.

As for wearhering, just personal preference, I have issues with the other inaccuracies but not weathering if not overdone.

One thing I have learned in this game is, faults that look like glaring errors in photos usually do not phase me a bit in-hand. Something about photos makes errors jump to the fore… then when i get the item its barely noticeable.
One thing I've learned is that anyone that tells me a figure "looks better in hand" is that they are just trying to convince themselves that it does, because everytime I've listened to that it just looks the exact same as what the photos show. TROS Rey and Asmus Gandalf are both awful figures in hand as well as photos.:lol

The review videos we have are under bright lights so the details show up nicely/properly on video right? This lighting really makes the chrome shine and may be hiding the full extant of weathering.
The natural lighting pic is likely showing the true extent of the weathering.
Or as others have suggested, it could be a badly painted example and we should wait for more examples.
In any case, these things cost too much to risk it.

All very confusing, gonna wait till more people have it in hamd before ordering.
The review videos we have are under bright lights so the details show up nicely/properly on video right? This lighting really makes the chrome shine and may be hiding the full extant of weathering.
Or as others have suggested, it could be a badly painted example and we should wait for more examples.

Well... I ended up cancelling my dx preorder and will wait on this. I really can't justify the total cost on something I don't feel 100% on and I don't want to be locked in at this point. Lesson learned.
In some photos it looks like the promos, in others, it looks caked on. It's so weird and unsettling that it fluctuates like that. Maybe I can be convinced when it's in the hands of others. What an emotional rollercoaster this has been...

One thing I have learned in this game is, faults that look like glaring errors in photos usually do not phase me a bit in-hand. Something about photos makes errors jump to the fore… then when i get the item its barely noticeable.
I can somewhat agree. On the very few I have, futzing and good posing goes a long way. I was on the fence about Jango for a long time but after a ton of videos and images I pulled the trigger and he's great. Initially I thought his weathering would be too much but it's really not at all.

Yeah I'm passing on this one, HT saving me money yet again.

Can't trust video reviews with their extreme and controlled lightning conditions and can't trust the blogger photos that are the same and also plastered in photoshop. I'm sure most of us have pretty basic lighting setups by comparison.

I have zero doubt we'll get yet another version down the line anyway, probably in like 2 months :lol.

One thing I've learned is that anyone that tells me a figure "looks better in hand" is that they are just trying to convince themselves that it does, because everytime I've listened to that it just looks the exact same as what the photos show. TROS Rey and Asmus Gandalf are both awful figures in hand as well as photos.:lol
The figure I was referring to was DWM. I dont even remember what the error was supposed to be. He is still happily on my shelves.

Yeah I'm passing on this one, HT saving me money yet again.

Can't trust video reviews with their extreme and controlled lightning conditions and can't trust the blogger photos that are the same and also plastered in photoshop. I'm sure most of us have pretty basic lighting setups by comparison.

I have zero doubt we'll get yet another version down the line anyway, probably in like 2 months :lol.
Nail on the head there mate.

The deluxe version that comes with Boba's gear to recreate the opening scene from The Passenger is the absolute dirtiest version of him I could find visual evidence of to remotely match the weathering HT gave him.
Mando-and-Child-S2E2-Main.jpg

Maybe that's what they were going for, but it's so weird that they would sell him as a Season 2 Mando when he was really only this gritty for one single scene in the entirety of the season. They've driven me to look and look and look for comparable levels of "grit" and I just am not finding it.

To me, it's he's got a noise filter all over his shiny chrome bits. Visually, I'm a bit disappointed the Season 1 Mando looks more screen-accurate, even if it's not quite as shiny and chrome as the new version.

I'm still weighing my options. I was hoping it would just be a slam-dunk no-brainer purchases (and it SHOULD be), but I know this won't be the last Mandalorian we'll be seeing. It's like thinking Hot Toys won't do another Iron Man.

Hey guys. I've not collected Hot Toys for several years now. For someone looking to get back in the game, would you recommend picking this figure up or waiting for a future release?

Hey guys. I've not collected Hot Toys for several years now. For someone looking to get back in the game, would you recommend picking this figure up or waiting for a future release?
Depends on what you want/willing to wait for. The weathering on this seems thick if you'd rather have a shiny Mando. But you'll also likely never see the Beskar spear as an accessory again.

And who knows what he'll look like in S3, as I doubt they're gonna make a BOBF version.. My guess is, once he goes to Mandalore he'll probably at some point have a new painted armor look over the current raw metal.

I'm torn too. I skipped the previous waiting for this shiny, but unsure like many due to the excessive weathering. But we may not get another Mando in this look.

Back