1/6 Hot Toys - TMS 029 - The Mandalorian: Moff Gideon Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Average price for a HT here in Aus seems to hover anywhere between $380 to $420 AUD. I’m nearing my limit as to what I’ll pay, and even though I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Gideon so far, he’ll have to impress me a lot more before I can pull the trigger on him. The updated headsculpt makes it a lot more tempting though.

The other thing I?ve come to realize is at what point do I stop? Disney recently announced ten new Star Wars shows. There?s no way I can collect from each if they all see figures. As of now The Mandalorian along with the Original Trilogy, prequels, and The Clone Wars is a lot.

I would like to think The Mandalorian is the only show I'll collect but apparently two of those new shows are directly connected and are also being handled by Favreau/Filoni. That could be a problem. I already know I'll probably buy characters like Thrawn.

The other question is how many seasons of The Mandalorian will there be and will HT start chipping away at the already big backlog of desirable characters?

131102671_3568199353248647_3417571840104943924_o.jpg

Damn, the sculpt doesn't look great there but the figure as a whole looks amazing. Great shelf presence.

One thing though: I don't like the cheap ass holster.

Damn, the sculpt doesn't look great there but the figure as a whole looks amazing. Great shelf presence.

One thing though: I don't like the cheap ass holster.

There's just something about that sculpt. Also, DarkChocobi's sig with Gideon directly under it highlights the "offness". But the armor, cape and Dark Saber look very nice.

Probably due to lighting set up or inappropriate angle , Im no expert on these things. But the HS couldn't be tremendously different than this prototype ?

131272259_3787959737934981_3231167831637255986_o.jpg

Hong's paint is terrific but the sculpt is too symmetrical -- Giancarlo's face is sagging in all kinds of odd places, chin is uneven, nose has a broad bump down the front, eyes bags and wrinkles galore. Once you lose those wrinkles you start to lose the actor's distinction. He needs that craggy old neck too.

I'm sure in hand, at less than 2 inches tall, the face will be wonderful though.

Yes, lighting at secret base is doing that sculpt no favors.

They're nailed the likeness for Peter Cushing as Tarkin and Ben Mendelsohn as Krennic. The two year timeframe release will be enough for major improvements on Gideon, don't be so pessimistic.

Hot Toys just has a weird, off look to it. I'm pretty sure it's all in the eyes that they're messing up with.
The sculpt below has a better likeness to the actor even if it's a younger looking one. Hot Toy's doesn't capture his asymmetric facial feature that the actor has and there's just something about it that doesn't look right..

I can look at the sculpt below and instantly see the likeness to the actor without it looking off. Can't say the same for HT.

37anrf7.jpg

EDIT: Mustache edit

128614261_673999323292073_7096080915687601239_n.jpg

131272259_3787959737934981_3231167831637255986_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ah there is that other sculpt pic. I was looking for that. Definitely superior.

For what it's worth HT are getting a bit of a beating in the FB comments section. Probably 80% of comments are saying it's almost there but not quite. As many have said here. I've "liked" all those comments just to highlight my "vote" that I agree to do some modifications in the next year.

If you want to increase the chances of improving the sculpt here's a link. Otherwise just keep moaning here where no one will hear you.

https://www.facebook.com/hottoys/

Same here. I think $300 is the point where I tap out. There are some key characters I still want that I?d maybe pay a higher price for, but when the majority of figures hit that price point I?ll probably be out. I hesitate now when prices creep too far past the $250 mark.

The other thing I?ve come to realize is at what point do I stop? Disney recently announced ten new Star Wars shows. There?s no way I can collect from each if they all see figures. As of now The Mandalorian along with the Original Trilogy, prequels, and The Clone Wars is a lot.

I already hesitated when MCU figs regularly hit 230, excluding the diecast stuff. IMO nothing u can do except ruthlessly cut down wants. Looking at the workmanship of figs like Mando v1 - specifically the seam and stitching details, and stuff like the blaster and houlster - with rising labor and production costs, can't say a figure isn't WORTH 250, 300$.

But if I get priced out, that's that. I'm already passing on stuff I'd like to have, but the strain on the wallet isn't worth it. They haven't put out Cara yet, probably figuring the Darksaber would be a selling point. And it IS, but if I have to choose I'd get Cara. So far she is a better representation of the show on the shelf with Mando, IMO. Since I can't have everything.

Also I'm more inclined to extend if the sculpt is perfect, which I don't think it is here. Then down the road, they release Gideon #2 and I get all *%*% off because I'd rather have that one.

Back