Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Stormtrooper Commander Figure (Exclusive)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome i got the commander from my wife too. It’s not just me 😂😂😂

So when did this change from Commander to Squad Leader?
Think the commander rank was an error from HT’s side. This has, imo, always been a squad leader, since imperials used orange pauldrons as their rank insignias. Which Gideon seems to have continued using.

Read on wookeepedia the SL was named as “stormtrooper 2” in the credits. Wonder where the “commander” nod comes from, maybe Hot Toys made it up themselves..?

Since Force Unleashed, a stormtrooper commander should wear a blue pauldron. But I’d remove or tone down the silly markings.

Now, while typing this, I came across this weird statement by someone on that Wookieepedia: DB35AD48-6FA4-44EC-A0F2-9A741623DEA5.jpeg

The confusion of the Imperial Army command hierarchy is total.

Think the commander rank was an error from HT’s side. This has, imo, always been a squad leader, since imperials used orange pauldrons as their rank insignias. Which Gideon seems to have continued using.

Read on wookeepedia the SL was named as “stormtrooper 2” in the credits. Wonder where the “commander” nod comes from, maybe Hot Toys made it up themselves..?

Since Force Unleashed, a stormtrooper commander should wear a blue pauldron. But I’d remove or tone down the silly markings.

Even during the Expanded Universe era, The Force Unleashed has a really weird nebulous state in canon so I would not really go by that. Plus that Stormtrooper Commander design was always silly, like you said.

But the orange pauldron has been used to denote the Commander rank before. In various media of the current canon as well. I associate it with both ranks.

I think it would’ve been fine as either Squad Leader or Commander. LFL must have some reason for forcing the change, aside from a desire to make Hot Toys jump through some hoops to change it.

0777D89D-EB59-47EE-AD63-1E2D41326391.jpeg
5BE8BCF4-A266-42A2-809C-66C4F41C601E.jpeg

First purchase from Pop Collectibles and just got an email request for my shipping details. I should receive my invoice for later batch Storm Commander shortly :cool:

Might grab at least one of these eventually. Never hurts to have another Trooper in the collection. Like many I may just remove the pauldron and make it a normal OT era Trooper.

Might grab at least one of these eventually. Never hurts to have another Trooper in the collection. Like many I may just remove the pauldron and make it a normal OT era Trooper.

As long as it doesn’t bother you it’s the Rogue One suit. I don’t mind but some folks dislike it.

Last edited:
As long as it doesn’t bother you it’s the Rogue One suit. I don’t mind but some folks dislike it.
Yeah, I know it’s Rogue One style but it’s close enough for me to consider it an OT Trooper. It at least blends in well enough.

It at least blends in well enough.

I'm gonna quote @ZE_501 on this one.

Tell me what it's like to be free. 😐

I like the Rogue One Stormtrooper figures enough to have a good number, but I could never mix them together with the others.

I can't even bring myself to put the Hot Toys ANH Stormtroopers near the ROTJ ones. :lol

I dislike the RO design pretty intensely but I'm still thinking of getting a pair of these to go with my Mandalorian figures. These are still relatively inexpensive and the price of stormtroopers isn't going down.

I'm honestly afraid HT is done producing the OT variants and we are stuck with this feminine/friendly looking cookie cutter stormtrooper design forever.

I'm honestly afraid HT is done producing the OT variants

I know the RO armor design is not to everyone's liking, but the figures themselves are actually quite good.

I think there'll be more OT Stormtrooper figures at some point. Also depends on if a movie, show, or game goes with an OT based suit.

Hot Toys went through a lot more trouble than I would normally expect them to in replicating the various quirks of this particular character's on-set appearance, so we can only hope they do that for future figures instead of just going with one version.

There was a point in time where I would have bet money on HT producing ESB Stormtroopers. But it's 2022 and there is no Hoth or Bespin Han, no Threepio, no ESB Chewbacca ... now ... I'm not so sure.

I think there'll be more OT Stormtrooper figures at some point. Also depends on if a movie, show, or game goes with an OT based suit.

That's a big part of the problem though, Lucasfilm seems to have switched to exclusively using that foul RO design

Back