Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Stormtrooper Commander Figure (Exclusive)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up 3 of these. Think someone was wondering if there's a dent on the top of the helmet but I don't see any. It's my first pure HT stormtrooper (have the Remnant), and I don't know enough to tell the difference between the stormie variants from one movie/show to another, but really impressed with this figure. Apart from the sandtrooper which I really like the look of, I don't fancy getting the previous HT stormies at the inflated prices, I'll be happy getting a couple more of these. Unless someone can convince me some of the earlier stormie releases are different/good enough to justify spending exta.View attachment 551400
What's the line on the forehead?

Are these pauldrons identical to the old Sandtrooper pauldron?

Don't know about size and exact colour match, but the design is the same.

The design looks similar, but the color seems different. The base orange looks a bit brighter on this, but it could just be the photos.

Hard to say how bright the orange is under all the weathering on the Sandtrooper pauldron which makes it look pretty muted.

This one is so clean. It's kind of nice though. You can do your own weathering. But it does make it seem like he just got his promotion, which explains the disastrous battle on Tython. :lol

Last edited:
The original didn’t have that studded fastening thing as far as I can remember. This is like a pimped up version of the original.

The Sandtrooper pauldron did, but the button/stud on the strap is prone to falling off, especially now after it's been many years and the glue has worn off. But it wasn't especially secure to begin with.

Edit: You meant the big strap with the studs on the right side. Then you're right, that is new.

Last edited:
What's the line on the forehead?
It was on the helmet in the show

C7AnkK.jpg

@ZE_501 @TurdFurgusonsHat @endo1

I cropped and flipped Deinonychus's picture (thank you) on the left with the ANH Sandtrooper pauldron on the right.

The overall shaping is similar but also different enough where it won't make a direct replacement for the Hot Toys ANH Sandtrooper figure for anyone that's particular about the little details.

The black collar segments at the center look longer and are cut and stitched at different angles. And as ProtocolD pointed out, it has a new wider strap on the right side with prominent studs on it.

Those aren't as noticeable when it's on the figure and under the helmet, but it's definitely different.

storm10.jpg
index.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have one of the old SSC Sandtrooper pauldrons to compare? I think they're about the same size but not sure about the cut. To complicate matters the old Marmit pauldrons were bigger, if I recall ... but looked quite accurate. The studded fastener on the right side (if this is a new addition) make sense for modern Star Wars costuming since they'd be using bespoke costume elements instead of re-purposed Motocross padding ... but it's been years since I've done a deep dive into this stuff.

Anyone have one of the old SSC Sandtrooper pauldrons to compare? I think they're about the same size but not sure about the cut. To complicate matters the old Marmit pauldrons were bigger, if I recall ... but looked quite accurate. The studded fastener on the right side (if this is a new addition) make sense for modern Star Wars costuming since they'd be using bespoke costume elements instead of re-purposed Motocross padding ... but it's been years since I've done a deep dive into this stuff.

I was curious about it as well so I did some more digging.

I guess I'm not the only one that had become accustomed to the style of pauldron where the neck strap is thinner and directly integrated into the rest of the padding, like the one Hot Toys used for the Sandtrooper figure.

I then found a very similar (if not the same) pauldron design used for the Mandalorian costume and figure on Trooperbay. And even the 501st CRL picture has the same type of pauldron.

Makes me wonder if they needed an orange pauldron really quickly for the show and someone acquired a Trooperbay one. They look really similar. And it wouldn't be the first time a real world replica of a Star Wars prop found its way into the show.

TB2.jpg

So while this figure's pauldron won't match the one Hot Toys used for their Sandtrooper and Shadow Trooper figures, it could technically be used as a Sandtrooper pauldron as well. Not a direct replacement, but not an unsuitable one. And could add some variety, too.

Looking into anything OT costume related is always such an interesting rabbit hole.

TD_sandtrooper_full.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have one of the old SSC Sandtrooper pauldrons to compare? I think they're about the same size but not sure about the cut.

@ZE_501 - Hot Toys The Mandalorian SL TK pauldron, Hot Toys Sandtrooper SL pauldron, and Sideshow Sandtrooper SL pauldron.

HT TM.jpg
HT ANH.jpg
SSC.jpg

It's been a long time since I've sold my Sideshow Sandtroopers, but I remember the pauldron being made of a softer, more textile material than the pleather used on the Hot Toys version.

It didn't look quite as nice and it was a little off because it didn't sit quite right, but the style of pauldron they were both based off of was the same with the thinner strap and less visible fasteners.

It's been a long time since I've sold my Sideshow Sandtroopers, but I remember the pauldron being made of a softer, more textile material than the pleather used on the Hot Toys version.
Yup, definitely softer. I still have an SSC sergeant's pauldron kicking around somewhere ...

Haha thanks!
unfortunately can’t collect everything. I really have been patiently waiting to pick up another OT Stormtrooper (have the ANH trooper) but nothing has really jumped out at me. If either a Fully kitted Jedha trooper-style RO trooper or a Sandtrooper dropped i think I’d jump on that.

But thanks! Being picky means sometimes making tough choices and I couldn’t get both this and the 501st DLX #adulting

Haha thanks!
unfortunately can’t collect everything. I really have been patiently waiting to pick up another OT Stormtrooper (have the ANH trooper) but nothing has really jumped out at me. If either a Fully kitted Jedha trooper-style RO trooper or a Sandtrooper dropped i think I’d jump on that.

But thanks! Being picky means sometimes making tough choices and I couldn’t get both this and the 501st DLX #adulting
Excuse my ignorance 😀but what is the 501st dlx?

Back