Hot Toys Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Shang Chi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sculpts on these figures are incredible, as many have said. They’re going to sell a million of these over in Asia so I’m not surprised they went all out on making these great. Probably won’t need many for the rest of the world but I’ll wait to see the movie before I’m unfair about it.
I don't know about that, I remember there being a lot of backlash/criticism from Asia when the first few trailers dropped tho perception might change after release. Meanwhile marvel is struggling to get a China release for this film as it is. Hell black widow still hasn't gotten one. It's a toss up how the film even does, especially over in that side of the world. Let alone how well the figure sells

I don't know about that, I remember there being a lot of backlash/criticism from Asia when the first few trailers dropped tho perception might change after release. Meanwhile marvel is struggling to get a China release for this film as it is. Hell black widow still hasn't gotten one. It's a toss up how the film even does, especially over in that side of the world. Let alone how well the figure sells
China might be a problem, but China isn’t the only place in Asia that the MCU is insanely popular. I know it struggles in Japan, but they’re more into Star Wars there (whereas they couldn’t give a **** about Star Wars in China).

Given how popular Marvel is in China and Asia as a whole, I’m sure they’ll get a China release for Shang-Chi and the figures will be hot over there.

China might be a problem, but China isn’t the only place in Asia that the MCU is insanely popular. I know it struggles in Japan, but they’re more into Star Wars there (whereas they couldn’t give a **** about Star Wars in China).

Given how popular Marvel is in China and Asia as a whole, I’m sure they’ll get a China release for Shang-Chi and the figures will be hot over there.
Popularity isn't as big of a factor in securing release dates in china right now. Again Disney couldn't get one for widow. It looks like Shang chi and certainly Eternals with the Chloe zhao controversy may struggle to get it in china

The sculpts look good on both figures but this will be an easy pass for me. Not interested in the film at all. Also I can’t remember the last Hot Toys figure I purchased that had those awful exposed elbow joints!!!

Tony Leung is a super star in Asia. And they really nailed the likeness.
I'm curious to see if this will really sell poorly.

Although the sculpts do look good, these are the type of figures that I want to put into dynamic poses. These sculpts fit more for museum poses as they are just stoic and emotionless. It makes any action/dynamic poses just look weird.

I don't think figures of Asian movie stars would necessarily be huge sellers in Asia either. Otherwise, we would have seen a lot more figures of Asian stars in their various roles from the larger Asian collectible companies. It's fairly niche market for those figures.

Last edited:
Although the sculpts do look good, these are the type of figures that I want to put into dynamic poses. These sculpts fit more for museum poses as they are just stoic and emotionless. It makes any action/dynamic poses just look weird.
Yeah, while it's a really good sculpt accuracy wise, the neutral look this one has is not as impactful as it could be given the range of poses you could put him in. He just looks sleepy.

Man how does HT decide who gets sculpted necks and don't? Seems random as hell. There's no reason for this guy to have that neck cut when the collarbone area isn't exposed at all.
It's shocking how hot toys will just stick a exposed neck joint on a figure like it's no big deal. They are charging a arm and a leg for these and they think a ugly cheap action figure neck joint it ok.

Yeah, actual Chinese citizens think Simu Liu is ugly, so they probably aren't in a rush to want to own his mug in figure format.

Simu Liu Responds to the Chinese Criticism He Was 'Too Ugly'

I, for one, don't think he's a good looking dude either, but I would pick this figure up given how outstanding that sculpt is. Throw this in the discount bin and I'm all over it.
Do they want somebody that has undergone plastic surgery to look anime-ish much like some of their social media models in weibo or whatever is the equivalent?

Do they want somebody that has undergone plastic surgery to look anime-ish much like some of their social media models in weibo or whatever is the equivalent?
Lmaooo even though you're being facetious, yeah, I actually think they do.

As an Asian-American I personally can't stand that very blatantly fake look a lot of Asians (Chinese, Koreans) go for with the manufactured unnatural larger eyes and fake tiny noses...but that's apparently popular and desirable there... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, while it's a really good sculpt accuracy wise, the neutral look this one has is not as impactful as it could be given the range of poses you could put him in. He just looks sleepy.
This is why I liked Enterbay so much, they would give us 2 head sculpts - 1 for museum poses and 1 for action poses. It's a shame we don't get the same effort from Hot Toys.

It's shocking how hot toys will just stick a exposed neck joint on a figure like it's no big deal. They are charging a arm and a leg for these and they think a ugly cheap action figure neck joint it ok.
I was wondering why Wenwu got a one-piece head & neck sculpt but not Shang-Chi. My guess is that they've opted to give Shang-Chi maximum flexibility for action poses. It does make sense from that standpoint, but when you see them together it certainly jumps out at you. This is an instance where it would be great if they give us both type sculpts for Shang-Chi, but for $250 I'm pretty sure one of the additional accessories won't be another sculpt.

240835949_10158210587677344_7138509974107472087_n.jpg

Both sculpts look really nice in terms of likeness but Shang Chi looks a little on the sleepy side. Also, wow these costumes are boring. While I’m uninterested in the figures and the movie, it seems to have been getting good reviews so here’s hoping. I haven’t liked much if at all from the MCU since endgame.

This and Wenwu has to be probably one of their best sculpts to date. It's actually scary how well they nailed these two. Great looking figures for both. The effects they're doing for Wenwu and most likely Shang Chi with the rings would make for a really cool display.

240809085_10158210587567344_8402243482623012699_n.jpg
Considering HT is a Hong Kong based company, it would be a great point of shame and dishonor if they messed up HK legend Tony Leung's likeness.

Considering HT is a Hong Kong based company, it would be a great point of shame and dishonor if they messed up HK legend Tony Leung's likeness.
They could have done better on DX04, although their smiling casual Bruce Lee was very good if I recall.

Back