Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of off topic:

Could somebody tell me how to get the Hot Toys Vader helmet on the SS Vader again haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without skimming through the whole thread: is this the same helmet sculpt as the ANH Vader?
Don't have either yet and am currently leaning toward the Rogue One version because of the gloves, yet I am a fan of ANH Vader's sinister "expression". Also, did they remove the brushed gunmetal grey from the cheeks?

Last edited:
The colours of the ANH mask aren't completely accurate in that pic. The tubing that runs from the tusk up along the right cheek should be gunmetal grey and not black..
Indeed, the colors on the mask in the picture aren't exactly accurate in that pic. Those illustrations were done a long time ago and not exactly up to date. Both whiskers - the area between the cheeks and mouth walls - should be gunmetal on both sides. That's a flaw.

Still not convinced the right tube should be grey. Sure, it is not exactly black, as it has gunmetal highlighting, but so does many other surfaces on the ANH face mask that are agreed upon to be "black", such as the right cheek, mouth and left mouth side wall. All these are also drybrushed with gunmetal lightly. The only black section that doesn't have the drybrushing is the area between the left cheek and eye. That's pretty much the only visible area that is black only. The ANH face mask and armor aren't two-tone like ESB/RotJ. It's black with gunmetal highlighting of varying amounts.

You can even see in these frontal pictures, taken with flash, that the right tube (left in the picture) is darker than the left tube (right in picture), which is a clear indication that the gunmetal application is much lighter on that tube, similar to those other mentioned black areas that has highlights as well. And both pictures are of the helmet PRIOR to the repaint it received before the footprint ceremony and Chronicles photoshoot and how it looks today.

Seriously......I thought I was a nerd. But this takes it to a whole new level. Good luck getting the 100000% screen accurate figure.

Seriously......I thought I was a nerd. But this takes it to a whole new level. Good luck getting the 100000% screen accurate figure.

hey, hey now....that's super nerd. I'll only be happy when my 1/6 scale Vader walks and fights on his own.

IMG_6128.JPG

When they show these pictures with upcoming releases, about how long does it take before they start shipping? Maybe two, three months? Just curious as I have Vader preordered, and soon the Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper.

When they show these pictures with upcoming releases, about how long does it take before they start shipping? Maybe two, three months? Just curious as I have Vader preordered, and soon the Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper.
There will be a release every couple weeks from now until the last figure in the pic. Probably a few months until all figures are released in HK.

Wow that was quick. Guess they want this out in time for Rogue One. I doubt Sideshow will have him before February.

It is kind of insane how obsessed some guys are with the helmets. Personally I think if you are looking for that level of detail in something, you should be collecting 1:1 custom prop replicas, not mass produced 1/6 figures.

hey, hey now....that's super nerd. I'll only be happy when my 1/6 scale Vader walks and fights on his own.

It is kind of insane how obsessed some guys are with the helmets. Personally I think if you are looking for that level of detail in something, you should be collecting 1:1 custom prop replicas, not mass produced 1/6 figures.

It's always funny to read this. Nerds calling out other nerds for their degree/type of nerdiness.:rotfl

I mean if increasing screen accuracy doesn't separate a figure release today from one done several years ago, what does?

Even beyond getting proportions or details more correct, the progression of 1/6 is ALL about increasing realism/accuracy - better bodies for more naturalistic posing, improved paint apps and sculpting techniques to make the faces or masks more realistic, 1/6 cut/sew that hangs more like the 1:1 costume.

It's people like TooMuchGarlic and jkno that actually know the resources - the things you need to know to make each version of a character more accurate and improved over the last - better than Lucasfilm or Disney does.:clap

Back