Hot Toys-MS 110- IRON MAN-MARK III (Battle Damaged) spec + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Mark I and II second releases on pre-order and I have an original Mark II exclusive for the Tony Stark head as well as Mark IV and Mark VI coming in.

That leaves on Mark 3 and Mark 5 for me to cover all the versions.

I've heard some pretty god-awful things about the Mark 3 and battle damaged Mark 3.

The Mark 3 was Hot Toys first effort at Iron Man I believe and while ok for its time, it really looks bad compared to the later versions. The battle damaged Mark III appears little better.

I imagine it would just look embarrassing trying to put a Mark III in that Hall of Armour.

Seriously is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that Hot Toys is going to give us another Mark III? We already have an original, a battle damaged version, and a Gunmetal Grey special edition, do you guys think they feel a need to revisit this armour a FOURTH time or do they think the market is saturated and will move on to Mark VII from Avengers?

Remember this cant be just a color swap like Secret Project or a product add in like the Mark IV with the Gantry set.

We are talking a full resculpt.

Hot Toys only needed to do a face sculpt for the Mark I version 2.0 which is nothing compared to redoing the entire Armour.

For those stating that a Mark III can just be a palette swap of the Armour Unleashed Mark II, I admit I'm not a big enough Iron Man fan to be able to say if the Mark II and III are close enough to get away with that?

Thoughts welcome.

I have an opportunity to get every Iron Man Hot Toys released at a pretty fair price all mint in box and unopened Exclusive if possible but am having a big hangup on dropping 200 bucks each on Mark III and Mark III battle damaged.

Seriously is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that Hot Toys is going to give us another Mark III? We already have an original, a battle damaged version, and a Gunmetal Grey special edition

Wait, do you mean the secret project? Um, that's the Mark IV, not Mark III.

do you guys think they feel a need to revisit this armour a FOURTH time or do they think the market is saturated and will move on to Mark VII from Avengers?

Well, this would be a THIRD version, and as you just stated, the previous versions are dated and fairly imperfect. Considering HT's recent love of upgrades/re-releases, I'd say a new Mark III is almost certain

For those stating that a Mark III can just be a palette swap of the Armour Unleashed Mark II, I admit I'm not a big enough Iron Man fan to be able to say if the Mark II and III are close enough to get away with that?

The rivets would need to be changed, but the 'stealth armor' prototype that HT was showing off at various Cons last Fall was simply an updated Mark III in a different color scheme, so Mark III doesn't seem like it would be tricky at all. I would just hope that they include two things: a more articulated abdomen than the AU Mark II (more in line with previous releases), and swap-out BD pieces like they did with the Mark VI, rather than the 'Armor Unleashed' thing. The Mark III is my favorite design from the movies, so I hope they get it completely right this time out! :lecture

Actually dfchang is right. Gun Metal Grey was the MarkIII. The Secret Project version is the Mark IV

Yeah, I was talking about the Silly Exclusive release which appears to be nothing more than a color swap of the original Mark III.

I don't know, you think 200 is a good price for an unopened, brand new battle damaged Mark III Exclusive? If there's no fade of course.

Heres a naff picture of my Iron Man after modding his waist & neck. Hopefully you can see a difference because my picture taking is lame but I feel it makes a big difference.

Has no one done a custom Mk III yet using the Mk II AU?

I've not seen anything yet, theres some real talented people on these boards who could definitely pull it off though but I think most like myself feel that it's as good as done that HT will reissue the MK III, especially with the new Mk II mold already there & with Iron Monger coming soon, it just makes sense.

I really like what they did with the Mark II Unleashed. If they made a Mark III like that I would buy it in a heart beat.

I really wish they would to a definitive Mark 3, with new RDJ sculpt. Another thing I hope they do for the Avengers Mark 7, and not just recycle the Mark 4 Stark head.

I found this bit of shoppery by Dedguy which makes me want one even more..

markiiiii1.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Good work btw.

Patience- pretty confident HT won't miss this chance to do a definitive MK III...i would think it should be a DX definitive edition..would sell BIG for them!

I really hope so. Out of all the armours the MK III is my favourite & the one I want most. It will probably be one of them rare reissues were hardly anyone complains because lets be honest it needs redoing. Out of all the armours this is the only weak one out of the 6 so far & I hope they get the colour right this time to, as well the proportions.

Decided to take some pics of Mark 2 unleashed, then ended up comparing the new mark 2 with the old 3 BD to see just how different / better a new mark 3 might be.

(my mark 3BD has neck and torso modded so looks slightly less oddly proportioned than usual)

it was interesting - they both look similar until closer inspection, when you see even tiny differences to make the construction better for example the thighs have one less visible seam. its amazing just how little is carried over unaltered - the only unaltered parts were the big air brakes, the shoulder bells, the elbow pads, the calf covers and the feet! bodes well for the inevitable redone mark 3 based on the armour unleashed. Will be keen to see how hot toys justifies to people buying another mark 3 - in the grand scheme of things it will only really look SLIGHTLY different to the existing mark 3... Only detail geeks like me would even notice!

DSCN1428b.jpg

DSCN14342.jpg

DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1441-1.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to take some pics of Mark 2, then ended up comparing mark 2 and 3 BD to see just how different / better a new mark 3 might be.

(my mark 3BD has neck and torso modded so looks slightly less oddly proportioned than usual)

it was interesting - they both look similar until closer inspection, when you see even tiny differences to make the construction better for example the forearms and the thighs have one less visible seam. its amazing just how little is carried over unaltered - the only unaltered parts were the big air brakes, the shoulder bells, the elbow pads, the calf covers and the feet! bodes well for the inevitable redone mark 3.

DSCN1428b.jpg

DSCN14342.jpg

https://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x188/designo_bucket
/DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1441-1.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

Pardon my noobness, but is that the original Mk II or the new Mk II?

Sorry should have said its the new mark 2 unleashed - edited my post to make more sense. The original mark 2 was identical to the original mark 3 but with rivets dremelled into the moulds and a silvery paint job

Decided to take some pics of Mark 2 unleashed, then ended up comparing the new mark 2 with the old 3 BD to see just how different / better a new mark 3 might be.

it was interesting - they both look similar until closer inspection, when you see even tiny differences to make the construction better for example the thighs have one less visible seam. its amazing just how little is carried over unaltered - the only unaltered parts were the big air brakes, the shoulder bells, the elbow pads, the calf covers and the feet! bodes well for the inevitable redone mark 3 based on the armour unleashed. Will be keen to see how hot toys justifies to people buying another mark 3 - in the grand scheme of things it will only really look SLIGHTLY different to the existing mark 3... Only detail geeks like me would even notice!

DSCN1432.jpg

So based on this the older mold and the newer mold have the same height. I know the orginal mark 3/2 mold was shorter then the new mark 4/6 I guess that has not changed.

Still great comparison pics

Back