1/6 Hot Toys - MMS383 - Suicide Squad - Harley Quinn Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up seeing it, was better than reviews made it out to be, but still pretty much thought it was average at best. Harley was fun, but not getting any of the figurines from this series after all.

production budget : $175,000,000

• Domestic Box Office $133,682,248 (4,255 Theaters, $31,418 profit per theater - 3 days)
  • International Box Office $133,300,000

Worldwide Box Office $266,982,248

It looks safe for now :p

You forgot to add in the advertising budget (rumored at 160 million) and the cost of the reshoots (rumored at 25 million.)

On top of that, the studio only gets 50% of the theatrical take in the US--the other 50% goes to the theater owners. Overseas the percentage the studio gets is even less, I believe. I know the studio only gets 25% of the theatrical take from China. Suicide Squad wasn't even able to make it into China though, due to the Chinese censors rejecting it, which is money DC won't be able to make in one of the biggest markets in the world.

At the end of the day a big opening weekend doesn't tell the story. A movie needs legs to make a profit. Look at what happened with BvS--huge opening weekend and then it underperformed due to bad reviews and bad word of mouth. That huge second weekend drop killed it and a movie that should have done Avengers numbers, and was widely expected to at least make a billion, couldn't even make 900 million. Was it profitable? Sure, but not by much and not nearly as much as it should have been. We'll see if Suicide Squad heads down the same road.

You forgot to add in the advertising budget (rumored at 160 million) and the cost of the reshoots (rumored at 25 million.)

On top of that, the studio only gets 50% of the theatrical take in the US--the other 50% goes to the theater owners. Overseas the percentage the studio gets is even less, I believe. I know the studio only gets 25% of the theatrical take from China. Suicide Squad wasn't even able to make it into China though, due to the Chinese censors rejecting it, which is money DC won't be able to make in one of the biggest markets in the world.

At the end of the day a big opening weekend doesn't tell the story. A movie needs legs to make a profit. Look at what happened with BvS--huge opening weekend and then it underperformed due to bad reviews and bad word of mouth. That huge second weekend drop killed it and a movie that should have done Avengers numbers, and was widely expected to at least make a billion, couldn't even make 900 million. Was it profitable? Sure, but not by much and not nearly as much as it should have been. We'll see if Suicide Squad heads down the same road.

Exactly. By name alone bvs had to break a bill. Lets see how ss does the 2nd weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On top of that, the studio only gets 50% of the theatrical take in the US--the other 50% goes to the theater owners.

Where did you hear that? Because it's not even remotely true. I was a manager at a movie theatre just 7 years ago, and had to do all the bookkeeping. For the first six weeks that a movie is in the theatres, the theatre itself gets exactly NOTHING from ticket sales. NOTHING. And the theatre has to pay a licensing fee to the studios just to get the movies in in the first place. How many movies made today last in theatres six weeks or more? Virtually none. 99.9% of a theatres operating cost (and overall survival) comes from concessions (hence the reason they are so expensive).

Suicide Squad is the new Batman & Robin.
As bad as or even worse.

But Margot nailed Harley. She is Harley.
This might become my first HT figure. It's so damn perfect. So far, getting the Figuart fig.

Where did you hear that? Because it's not even remotely true. I was a manager at a movie theatre just 7 years ago, and had to do all the bookkeeping. For the first six weeks that a movie is in the theatres, the theatre itself gets exactly NOTHING from ticket sales. NOTHING. And the theatre has to pay a licensing fee to the studios just to get the movies in in the first place. How many movies made today last in theatres six weeks or more? Virtually none. 99.9% of a theatres operating cost (and overall survival) comes from concessions (hence the reason they are so expensive).

Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal detailing the typical percentages studios make from the theatrical runs of their movies.

A relevant quote from the article: "The cut of each box office dollar that studios take varies from as little as 25 cents in China to about 50 cents in the U.S."

Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal detailing the typical percentages studios make from the theatrical runs of their movies.

A relevant quote from the article: "The cut of each box office dollar that studios take varies from as little as 25 cents in China to about 50 cents in the U.S."

Unless things have changed in the last 7 years, their information is inaccurate. Not like that hasn't happened before. "Journalists" aren't infallible.

• Domestic Box Office $133,682,248 (4,255 Theaters, $31,418 profit per theater - 3 days)

That much ALREADY? Think WB is pretty happy despite the reviews- look for SS2 in three years...

I read a couple places that they have to make around $800 mill to make a profit. Supposedly, the gold rule is they have to make two and half times what they spent to make it or it's a loss. So we'll see what happens next weekend. It may do okay if nothing else big opens.

tumblr_o18fuepAaC1snteogo2_r2_500.gif

As bad as or even worse.

This might become my first HT figure. It's so damn perfect. So far, getting the Figuart fig.

See that can't be true, cuz in order for something to be the new Batman & Robin, it needs to have zero redeeming quality, zero, nada, not a nipple ounce of worth.

First half of SS was actually pretty good imo, just once it gets into the main plot it turns into a fantasy sci-fi God of Egypt type crap shoot. And like you said Harley was great, and the few scenes with Batman in it were already better then anything from Batman & Robin movie so what you said is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
On top of that, the studio only gets 50% of the theatrical take in the US--the other 50% goes to the theater owners.

But I don't think the article says the other 50% goes to theater owners, are you just assuming that? I would think it goes to the producers/investors who actually put money down to make things possible, they're obviously the ones who get their money back first plus profit, before anyone else is even allowed to touch the money. Theaters aren't even part of the same deal, and rightfully so because they aren't actually part of the movie creation/investment, they only distribute after the fact. Unless of course the theater owner is an investor of said movie, but I digress.

So basically producers and studio shares profit 50/50, nothing unusual here imo. Overseas just means there's one more person to share, and since no one can touch producer's money, studio only ends up with 25%.

So ya once you put producers into the equation then it's obvious studio gets half. Theaters probably make more money selling popcorn then what they got from Dorey or Batman lol.

-----------------

Last edited:
But I don't think the article says the other 50% goes to theater owners, are you just assuming that? I would think it goes to the producers/investors who actually put money down to make things possible, they're obviously the ones who get their money back first plus profit, before anyone else is even allowed to touch the money. Theater owners aren't even part of the deal, they make way less then what studios are making, and rightfully so because they aren't actually part of the movie creation/investment, they only distribute after the fact.

So basically producers and studio shares profit 50/50, nothing unusual here imo. Overseas just means there are other expenses that gets paid out of studio's cut, because no one is touching producer's money, so studio only ends up with 25%.

So ya once you put producers into the equation then it's obvious studio gets 50%. Theaters probably make more money selling popcorn then what they got from Dorey or Batman lol.

-----------------

Yeah, you might be right--but either way, the point I was making was that the studio only gets about half the money from the US theatrical run (and less than that from overseas), which is why movies typically have to make at least double their costs in order to break even.

As bad as or even worse.

she nailed harley when they let her, half the time they made her act nothing like the character.

Back