1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

I'm one of the few who thought Snyder's SuckerPunch was a great movie so when I heard he was doing Superman with the help of Nolan, I was beyond excited.

The movie was fantastic, a fantastic retelling of a story that we all know but in a new way. The music was stellar, I love the original theme and that piece is timeless, but it would not have fit this movie. Zimmer did great and I think quite a few think the same.

Now just to decide if I want this or the PF or both.

Im ending it now . I'm glad you guys enjoyed the film . I didn't . That's my problem . But it's mostly because of the missing soundtrack ! I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it !

And now I'm done .Im gonna go and watch superman .

Im ending it now . I'm glad you guys enjoyed the film . I didn't . That's my problem . But it's mostly because of the missing soundtrack ! I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it !

Your weird but it's cool i like it :)

Enough of comparisons to 78 Superman. Use of Williams' soundtrack would have been a disaster. Ruin the movie.

This is a NEW Superman folks- new new new. No ties to the Donner film
Move on.

Enough of comparisons to 78 Superman. Use of Williams' soundtrack would have been a disaster. Ruin the movie.

Move on.

:exactly::goodpost::clap

Well said. Same characters, different take.

If you liked it, great. If not, great.:dunno

This is going to be a long 8+ months...

Seeing the movie actually makes me want to get this figure.

I'm one of the few who thought Snyder's SuckerPunch was a great movie so when I heard he was doing Superman with the help of Nolan, I was beyond excited.

The movie was fantastic, a fantastic retelling of a story that we all know but in a new way. The music was stellar, I love the original theme and that piece is timeless, but it would not have fit this movie. Zimmer did great and I think quite a few think the same.

Now just to decide if I want this or the PF or both.

Agreed with everything you said! :goodpost:

Move on.
Yep agreed!

It would've been like putting Burton's or the Schumacher soundtracks to Batman Begins. Wouldn't have worked. And just like Nolan and Zimmer said for Batman, Superman had to earn his theme. To me, Zimmer's score tells a story along with being what is the MoS theme. John Williams' score is just a theme that's it, no story telling at least for me. Same with the original Star Wars. Yes they're instatly recognizable but it doesn't tell you anything about the movie other than "oh yea that's the superman/star wars theme"

That's a funny statement about zimmer's soundtrack though.

If you would ask Hans would you rather tell a story with the music or be remembered for being so iconic of a melody everyone that knows of the movie will recognize it he would always go for B. That's why John Williams is John Williams, and then there is everyone else.

People like zimmer do not touch those older soundtracks because they do not want to be compared to them. They know no matter what it will come off as a hack job. Better to do something different and unique. Very smart.

It is incredibly difficult to make soundtrack music that is so distinguishable now days. I think zimmer did a wonderful job with Inception and his batman trilogy.

Just got back from the movie, holy crap, what a great film,tons of action, and i left feeling they explained most things I would have asked. Only thing I wish they showed was how he got the suit on (petty I know) but really curious, thoughts?

If you would ask Hans would you rather tell a story with the music or be remembered for being so iconic of a melody everyone that knows of the movie will recognize it he would always go for B. That's why John Williams is John Williams, and then there is everyone else.

People like zimmer do not touch those older soundtracks because they do not want to be compared to them. They know no matter what it will come off as a hack job. Better to do something different and unique. Very smart.

It is incredibly difficult to make soundtrack music that is so distinguishable now days. I think zimmer did a wonderful job with Inception and his batman trilogy.

I don't think so considering in an interview he said that he wanted this soundtrack to tell a story of not only superman but also the american midwest. I think he accomplished both telling a story within the score as well as creating a new theme for superman

John Ottman who did the Superman Returns score used the John Williams theme and I don't recall folks saying it was a hack job. I think he did pretty well myself to give the score a John Williams vibe

Yet, like anyone else in media, Zimmer has his detractors. I really love most things Nolan and most things Zimmer, so it's really hard for me to understand those that don't.

But yeah, I loved what he did with Man of Steel.

The Inception soundtrack is absolutely stunning, and I honestly prefer his Batman theme to Elfman's. Actually, I really like his Joker and Bane themes, too.

I don't think so considering in an interview he said that he wanted this soundtrack to tell a story of not only superman but also the american midwest. I think he accomplished both telling a story within the score as well as creating a new theme for superman

John Ottman who did the Superman Returns score used the John Williams theme and I don't recall any saying it was a hack job. I think he did pretty well myself to give the score a John Williams vibe

Superman Returns also set the superman franchise back almost 10 years, and it wasn't because of the music. But that is another discussion all together.

Zimmer doesn't include the hero themes because he can't make them, plain and simple. First he says "well, the hero has to earn them", then you wait for the sequel to hear it and there's not a damn thing.

For Batman, he stated as much in 2005, then in 2007, then 2012 it was non-existent. He did claim that he created a heroic theme but it has never seen the light of day. He had it "ready for Dark Knight", but then pushed it back to TDKR, then never utilized it in there either.

https://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1690

He makes great soundtracks, sure, but his superhero ones lack character. They're great for the story and moving things along (especially montages) but for the character specifically? Not so much. I much prefer his non-comic book soundtracks. They're much, much better in my opinion.

His Superman work, while good for modern times will never touch what John Williams did. It's just like his work on Batman. It will never touch what Danny Elfman and Shirly Walker created in the late 80s, early 90s for the character. Those themes aren't just tied to their composers and films, they lived past that. They're synonymous with the characters.

Zimmer doesn't include the hero themes because he can't make them, plain and simple. First he says "well, the hero has to earn them", then you wait for the sequel to hear it and there's not a damn thing.

For Batman, he stated as much in 2005, then in 2007, then 2012 it was non-existent. He did claim that he created a heroic theme but it has never seen the light of day. He had it "ready for Dark Knight", but then pushed it back to TDKR, then never utilized it in there either.

I think Antrozous or Molossus from the Batman Begins soundtrack fills that role pretty well, and is mixed into the other two films. Also, the cue from the beginning of TDK, which was repeated when Batman and Catwoman take a ride in the Bat, is a nice little piece.

Well put DiFab. People can debate and argue many things, but John Williams is the Superman granddaddy of them all for musical scores.

His Superman work, while good for modern times will never touch what John Williams did. It's just like his work on Batman. It will never touch what Danny Elfman and Shirly Walker created in the late 80s, early 90s for the character. Those themes aren't just tied to their composers and films, they lived past that. They're synonymous with the characters.

I think that's only the case because they were the first. That makes a big difference.

Back