1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

I like it, what was the paint scheme for the S symbol again

Did you just use metallic blue or other colors

What brand of paints

I initially went with the create pearlized red mixed with some create transparent red to make it a bit darker. But after darkavatar posted it made sense to go for more of a dark maroon metallic. Since the plastic of the "S" is a hard plastic I did a quick small area test with the testors stop light red I have which is a very dark maroon metallic color. It went on just fine with no chemical reaction to the plastic. So a few hours later I went back and did the rest of the symbol. He looks way better now, props to darkavatar for the advice.

You could probably skip the createx paints and go straight for the testors stop light red. I'd do a small area first to see if its the color you want, if not try a small area with the createx pearlized red, then come back and go over it with testors stop light red after it's dried and see how that looks to you. Hope this helps.

I initially went with the create pearlized red mixed with some create transparent red to make it a bit darker. But after darkavatar posted it made sense to go for more of a dark maroon metallic. Since the plastic of the "S" is a hard plastic I did a quick small area test with the testors stop light red I have which is a very dark maroon metallic color. It went on just fine with no chemical reaction to the plastic. So a few hours later I went back and did the rest of the symbol. He looks way better now, props to darkavatar for the advice.

You could probably skip the createx paints and go straight for the testors stop light red. I'd do a small area first to see if its the color you want, if not try a small area with the createx pearlized red, then come back and go over it with testors stop light red after it's dried and see how that looks to you. Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch

What about the metallic blue did you mix anything else with it?

never heard of createx paint how much is that do you have a pic of the bottle?

Yes, I used tamiya black acrylic for the hair.

You have to use a really small fine brush to do the really small details, like the piping, belt.
I use a bigger brush to do the dry brushing.

Thanks Tony.
You're very brave to do that mod first and experiment with the mod process.
Your detailed procedure helped immensely.

Hey Remy did you use flat black or gloss black and did you paint or dry brush the extra black on the hair

Just scored this bad boy for under $200 shipped...stoked

Hey Remy did you use flat black or gloss black and did you paint or dry brush the extra black on the hair

Just reg Tamiya "Black". The paint kinda comes off like it has a semi-gloss to it.
I used both dry brush technique, and I guess reverse highlighting...cause usually you highlight to lighten areas, but I went and reversed it and darken other areas with fine brush.
Its kinda hard to see in my pics cause of the lighting, specially the really bright lighting in the front, but in hand, it looks great.

Really, even if you just do the simple method of just painting it with black, its gonna look great cause
It really does even add more to the likeness with really dark hair.

Before

After

Last edited:

Just reg Tamiya "Black". The paint kinda comes off like it has a semi-gloss to it.
I used both dry brush technique, and I guess reverse highlighting...cause usually you highlight to lighten areas, but I went and reversed it and darken other areas with fine brush.
Its kinda hard to see in my pics cause of the lighting, specially the really bright lighting in the front, but in hand, it looks great.

Really, even if you just do the simple method of just painting it with black, its gonna look great cause

Looks great Remy, great idea with the hair.
:rock

Thanks man for the tips, I know sometimes you guys don't want to reveal your secrets but I appreciate it. That's why I tell people my methods, I always like seeing how they interpret their way.

I wanted to do the black highlights but I thought it might make it too black, but if you think it works, I'll go for it. :wave

Thanks man for the tips, I know sometimes you guys don't want to reveal your secrets but I appreciate it. That's why I tell people my methods, I always like seeing how they interpret their way.

I wanted to do the black highlights but I thought it might make it too black, but if you think it works, I'll go for it. :wave

No problem man.
I was worried as well in the beginning thinking it may look too black, but then I re-watched the movie last night, and when looking at pics,
His hair in the movie was very very jet black.
And as I mentioned, I think it really even adds more to the likeness of the sculpt.

would the black tamiya flat or the semi gloss look best for the hair? gonna pick some up and give it a whirl...

Ca mon. Somebody post a pic with tonys cape. :)
I'll be uploading it soon. Trying to pin the cape into the body perfectly on first try so that I don't have to pull the pins out and try again.

HT need to make Faora Ul soon, not Tony Clark Kent!

:thwak

:computer

:horse

:toilet_cl

:slap

I just thought it was hilariously stupid when I just read the 2014 product line.:cuckoo:

Please tell me this is just a clever photoshop? They cannot seriously be releasing another freaking Tony Stark!

Wow that's amazing a "Rose Hill" Tony Stark LOL The "mechanic" I could kind of see but this guy... C'mon who is actually going to buy this guy? I like Iron Man too, but not to the point where I buy any and all Iron Man merchandize for crying out loud. Hey what about the "Nightmare" tony in his pajamas when the suit grabs Pepper! LOL

Even Robert Downy Jr. Has to be getting sick of so many figures of him LOL

Not trying to derail anything, but what's a good online shop for Tamiya paints other than Amazon? Would love to add some to I'm ready for future mods but there is nothing to choose from where I live.

I repainted one of my heads tamiya flat black. It's really nice and makes a change with it all coloured black. I am half tempted to paint it gloss black to see how that looks.

Back