Hot Toys - MMS173 - Predator 2: 1/6th scale City Hunter Predator Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My deposit is down on this now. I know not everyone's happy with it but I'm really looking forward to getting this. I just hope HT revisit all the AVP Preds in 1/6. I know where had the 1/6, 1/4 Pred announcment but until I see them launch pictures I'm never convinced with HT announcements anymore.

The head sculpt may not be perfect but the dread length is spot on. I also love the original head sculpt too but I wish HT would redo the face and not be lazy to give us an accurate head we all want. We should have our money's worth for these Predators.

It is sad to see this happen after how awesome Classic was. They did it 90% correct and it turned out awesome but now next release they messed up big time. If HT continue then yes they wont run out of customers as people will still buy but all older customers will no longer buy.

I'd say Classic was more like 95% (though people acted as if he was at 70% or 80% when he was announced).
This guy's at 90%. Besides the mandible pose and texturing (and okay, the 'nose' thickness), there isn't really anything wrong with it. Berserker was far worse IMHO. If you squint at the new P2, it looks like P2. If you squint at Berserker unmasked, you still don't know what you're looking at. But it's cool; I keep him masked all the time anyway. If they make a new 1/4 scale version with a giant, tarantula-esque head, I'll be sure to display him without the helmet. :D

These are practically what I did not want taken away from the prototype. That and the paintjob. The height shrinkage, don't mind. Mandibles, could care less. But these? Wtf.

Yeah, but these changes they made are actually accurate. The armor didn't have a rough texture and it was quite dark in color. And the lenses were certainly not gray.

Don't get me wrong, I've said time and time again I'd rather they stuck with the rough-textured look the P2 has now. It's just more to set him apart from the others. Different people have different positions on what the artist can change and what they can't.

I'd say Classic was more like 95% (though people acted as if he was at 70% or 80% when he was announced).
This guy's at 90%. Besides the mandible pose and texturing (and okay, the 'nose' thickness), there isn't really anything wrong with it. Berserker was far worse IMHO. If you squint at the new P2, it looks like P2. If you squint at Berserker unmasked, you still don't know what you're looking at. But it's cool; I keep him masked all the time anyway. If they make a new 1/4 scale version with a giant, tarantula-esque head, I'll be sure to display him without the helmet. :D
...base head is shaped wrong. Not slanted/long/tall enough.

Also, I think the top of the head (eyebrow ridges and up) is too...fat. It's too circular.

True!
I think I may give in over time and buy it!
My UK site states next year release around spring time but guys on here say December so maybe we getting it late!

This guy's at 90%. Besides the mandible pose and texturing (and okay, the 'nose' thickness), there isn't really anything wrong with it.
let's count.
- the cannon, the net launcher, the hip armor are all small and wrong. -10%
- the body looks nothing like predators with their fat & long bellies and narrrow shoulders. -10% (main purpose of sculpting a new body is its fitting to the movie, and there is none)
- mask must go to trash. -10% (significant part of a predator).
the head has all wrong shape and face. -10%
- as all tsang predators, this one will be heavy, no-moving, breakable, because he makes the joints too tight and the material is too soft. -10%.
100%-(10+10+10+10+10)=50%.
50% fail of making a perfect P2 figure. not just a figure. it could be avoided.

of course, if you count "a change of old P2 figure", there will be only pluses. (except for the face and armor - tsang makes it very simple and primitive in details). but you don't. you just say again and again "there is nothing wrong with him". you're among people who let HT make their standarts fall lower and lower.

This may be the figure to determine whether people are in or out with the upcoming new releases. I have a feeling it's going to be the same ongoing issues with each new Predator.

let's count.
- the body looks nothing like predators with their fat & long bellies and narrrow shoulders. -10% (main purpose of sculpting a new body is its fitting to the movie, and there is none)
- mask must go to trash. -10% (significant part of a predator).
the head has all wrong shape and face. -10%
- as all tsang predators, this one will be heavy, no-moving, breakable, because he makes the joints too tight and the material is too soft. -10%.
100%-(10+10+10+10+10)=50%.
50% fail of making a perfect P2 figure. not just a figure. it could be avoided.

of course, if you count "a change of old P2 figure", there will be only pluses. (except for the face and armor - tsang makes it very simple and primitive in details). but you don't. you just say again and again "there is nothing wrong with him". you're among people who let HT make their standarts fall lower and lower.

I'd say you're simply making a bigger deal about minor issues. The mask isn't all wrong, it's just the texture. Seeing as how the texture accounts for surface details that are less than half a millimeter thin, I wouldn't consider it 10%.
The head isn't all wrong either; his lower half is certainly inaccurate, but to go as far as to bash the whole thing because the base shape of the head isn't quite as slanted or unslanted as it should be is a little more nitpicking than I'd ever be likely to do.
Also, all of the HT Predators are breakable. If anything, these new ones are a slightly better option because they have added weight. You consider that a con; I consider it a pro because it means they'll be less brittle. I'd take dense soft plastic over hollow hard plastic any day.
As far as the body goes, why does it look "nothing" like the P2? The thigh chunkiness is there, which goes a long way on Predator figures. Even if the new bodies don't have exactly the right amount of fat, you can't say they're less accurate than the old ones. I don't think we'll ever get the perfect Predator figure, but with each one they do improve.

I can understand Lar'ja's views as he's a massive P2 fan and let's face it, it's not the perfect figure. But to say it's 50% accurate is to say it's a completely unrecognizable Predator. I'm not going to sweep HT's problems under the rug like Butters and blame it all on lens distortion (come on, now). I will, however, admit to the fact that the figure does look like P2. You can't tell me that, as a Predator fan, you wouldn't know which Pred this is if you saw it on a shelf. You would. It might not be accurate, but you know it's supposed to be P2.

And since you're the one posting death threats against Tsang, there's probably a multiplier effect in your percentage calculations. A 2% or 3% in anyone else's eyes would probably be a 10% or 15% respectively, after factoring in the "P." multiplier.

Ultimately, it all boils down to perception. To me this is a 90%. If you truly believe it's a 50%, I can't change your mind, but I'll be sure to let you know your rating suffers from a major case of hyperbole. Maybe the most minor differences glare out at you more than anyone else. Just realize that no one is ever going to get it right with standards that high.
I still don't understand why you even collect HT if you have such a disdain for what they do. Sure, you got your old P2 repainted by SilentSurfer and you customized your original P1, but according to the ratings you're assigning on this P2, those other figures of yours would also be around the 50-60% mark. This is according to your logic, which I'm guessing is inconsistent with figure to figure. Everyone has bias on certain releases, but the way you sound when you criticize makes me wonder if you like anything in your collection. I've brought this point up before and I still haven't a clue.

When it comes to Predator figures in this day and age, it's either Hot Toys or *that other company*. If you hate HT as much as you seem to, why not just buy that other company's figures and commission someone to repaint those? According to you, repainting HT is like polishing a turd, so you might as well get something that at least has a better sculpt from the get-go. If those are too small, get the 18" versions. P1's out, P2's happening as well. Send them out, get a perfect paintjob, and you're good to go.

I don't have anything against criticism, but I doubt HT is able to understand very much from the way people are doing it. Instead of telling them straight up that they're mistaking the grail status of other collectibles as accuracy (which it isn't), people either spam Photoshopped pictures and point at them (expecting sculptors who barely speak English to know exactly what you want them to do) or they simply insult the sculptors -- and that's what you're doing.
Going on about how you want someone to kill Tsang is not going to help HT figure out what their problem is. He's here to stay whether you like it or not, so you might as well advise him in a clear, concise, and for the love of God, civil manner.

This may be the figure to determine whether people are in or out with the upcoming new releases. I have a feeling it's going to be the same ongoing issues with each new Predator.

And yet we go through the same thing with every single one as if it's the first time we saw it all. Tsang sucks at sculpting Predators and Aliens (well, Aliens far more than Predators). People ought to tell him why instead of leaving it at "you suck and I hope you die." Yeah, I bet he knows exactly what he needs to fix with quality advice like that.

Last edited:
I'd say you're simply making a bigger deal about minor issues. The mask isn't all wrong, it's just the texture. Seeing as how the texture accounts for surface details that are less than half a millimeter thin, I wouldn't consider it 10%.
The head isn't all wrong either; his lower half is certainly inaccurate, but to go as far as to bash the whole thing because the base shape of the head isn't quite as slanted or unslanted as it should be is a little more nitpicking than I'd ever be likely to do.
Totally agree with the Bio, if they just removed all of the bumpy rusty ____..I'd accept it.

I don't see being annoyed by the head shape as "nitpicking". That was always a big difference between the two originals to me. That's the biggest reason I did not purchase the Sideshow Predator LSB..it's head shape reminded me more of P2's. It was sooo damn slanted...when in reality, P1's head curves back much more. This figure's head just looks like a reused base Snake/Classic..which doesn't have that P2 slant to it.

But yeah..the head is the main thing. Bio accuracy is the second most important part to me, but the texturing is my only issue with it.. Everything else..body shape, armor, paint, etc, I don't care about nearly as much. And it looks great anyway.

I can understand Lar'ja's views as he's a massive P2 fan and let's face it, it's not the perfect figure. But to say it's 50% accurate is to say it's a completely unrecognizable Predator. I'm not going to sweep HT's problems under the rug like Butters and blame it all on lens distortion (come on, now). I will, however, admit to the fact that the figure does look like P2. You can't tell me that, as a Predator fan, you wouldn't know which Pred this is if you saw it on a shelf. You would. It might not be accurate, but you know it's supposed to be P2.
If the bio texture, small handful of face inaccuracies, and base head shape were fixed, this would be the PERFECT P2 figure for me.

It is definitely recognizable as P2, and a few years ago I would have purchased this in a heart beat...but the fact that these inaccuracies are so small (yet powerful) and easy to fix, we had a much more accurate head sculpt 4-5 years ago, and that it looks like they didn't sculpt the entire head from scratch..just disappoints me.

...however. All of this has goten me much more excited for the AvP trio. Especially Scar since I don't care nearly as much about his facial accuracy as I do for P2. As long as he has a pretty, detailed face..I'll be happy. :yess:

.....we should all stop discussing this now :lol

I bet Butters will choose now to log on for the first time in about 2 and a half weeks :lol

:lol Y'know, there is some truth between all the semicolons and accuracy obsessiveness, but it's so full of esoteric allusions that most sane people could care less... OCD is the only winner in all this, and Pfizer (or the Russian knockoff) is waiting in the wings, ready to help. :wink1::monkey1:lol

Also, all of the HT Predators are breakable. If anything, these new ones are a slightly better option because they have added weight. You consider that a con; I consider it a pro because it means they'll be less brittle. I'd take dense soft plastic over hollow hard plastic any day.
As far as the body goes, why does it look "nothing" like the P2? The thigh chunkiness is there, which goes a long way on Predator figures. Even if the new bodies don't have exactly the right amount of fat, you can't say they're less accurate than the old ones. I don't think we'll ever get the perfect Predator figure, but with each one they do improve.

And since you're the one posting death threats against Tsang, there's probably a multiplier effect in your percentage calculations. A 2% or 3% in anyone else's eyes would probably be a 10% or 15% respectively, after factoring in the "P." multiplier.

Ultimately, it all boils down to perception. To me this is a 90%. If you truly believe it's a 50%, I can't change your mind, but I'll be sure to let you know your rating suffers from a major case of hyperbole. Maybe the most minor differences glare out at you more than anyone else. Just realize that no one is ever going to get it right with standards that high.
I still don't understand why you even collect HT if you have such a disdain for what they do. Sure, you got your old P2 repainted by SilentSurfer and you customized your original P1, but according to the ratings you're assigning on this P2, those other figures of yours would also be around the 50-60% mark. This is according to your logic, which I'm guessing is inconsistent with figure to figure. Everyone has bias on certain releases, but the way you sound when you criticize makes me wonder if you like anything in your collection. I've brought this point up before and I still haven't a clue.

When it comes to Predator figures in this day and age, it's either Hot Toys or *that other company*. If you hate HT as much as you seem to, why not just buy that other company's figures and commission someone to repaint those? According to you, repainting HT is like polishing a turd, so you might as well get something that at least has a better sculpt from the get-go. If those are too small, get the 18" versions. P1's out, P2's happening as well. Send them out, get a perfect paintjob, and you're good to go.

I don't have anything against criticism, but I doubt HT is able to understand very much from the way people are doing it. Instead of telling them straight up that they're mistaking the grail status of other collectibles as accuracy (which it isn't), people either spam Photoshopped pictures and point at them (expecting sculptors who barely speak English to know exactly what you want them to do) or they simply insult the sculptors -- and that's what you're doing.
Going on about how you want someone to kill Tsang is not going to help HT figure out what their problem is. He's here to stay whether you like it or not, so you might as well advise him in a clear, concise, and for the love of God, civil manner.

Yeah.... :monkey1

And yet we go through the same thing with every single one as if it's the first time we saw it all. Tsang sucks at sculpting Predators and Aliens (well, Aliens far more than Predators). People ought to tell him why instead of leaving it at "you suck and I hope you die." Yeah, I bet he knows exactly what he needs to fix with quality advice like that.

And then...WTF?? :(:confused::slap

...however. All of this has goten me much more excited for the AvP trio. Especially Scar since I don't care nearly as much about his facial accuracy as I do for P2. As long as he has a pretty, detailed face..I'll be happy. :yess:

I'm with you there. :hi5: :lol

Yeah, but these changes they made are actually accurate. The armor didn't have a rough texture and it was quite dark in color. And the lenses were certainly not gray.

Regarding the armor, they should've just made it black with brown highlights instead of copper highlights. The whole thing being brown really made it look less dark to me, whereas they used the black on the prototype. The lenses were acceptable, and regarding the texture, I meant the mask. It was just too smooth and plasticky. They could've just done the same texturing as Falconer's mask while removing the pits and it would've looked better.

let's count.
[...] and lower.

i totally agree
however, i would have lowered the level

I'd say you're simply making a bigger deal about minor issues. The mask isn't all wrong, it's just the texture. Seeing as how the texture accounts for surface details that are less than half a millimeter thin, I wouldn't consider it 10%. [...] civil manner.

you missed an important point - we each have your own approach to anything whatsoever. for example, i do in this figure do not see any P2. absolutely!

But yeah..the head is the main thing. Bio accuracy is the second most important part to me, but the texturing is my only issue with it.. Everything else..body shape, armor, paint, etc, I don't care about nearly as much. And it looks great anyway.
and you got caught :nana:
again, each with its own approach to things
in this case you are interested in a figure at the level of "only would be similar to the prototype, even remotely, since i basically do not care to be authentic." so do almost everybody. there is nothing wrong, just when it comes to the so-called objectivity or obviousness, it is not clear why people confuse objectivity with subjectivity. and then another, and trying to prove something through its subjective opinion on the discussions that use obvious or so-called objective criteria for evaluating something, ahah.

1) as usual, the proportions are in trouble.
2) mask bit extended, however, turned out no bad forms! but this moronic texture all the spoils. i absolutely don't understand what, damn, sosang thought.
3) jaws ''brand'', sosang's. no comments. mouth generally inaccurate. eyebrows are wrong. the rest was okay. bad that there is no pics in profile and from behind.
4) breathing device - do worse than the release of the Predator Guardian? no comments.
5) absolutely not sculpt a new plasmagun, which has long needed resculpt, but the sculpt breathing device when there is a better from release of the Predator Guard - clinical idiocy. sosang is evil evil.

Last edited:
Back