HOT TOYS : MMS DX 12 - The Dark Knight Rises - BATMAN / BRUCE WAYNE Full Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HOT TOYS : MMS DX 12 - The Dark Knight Rises - BATMAN / BRUCE WAYNE Full Specs &

Gipetto: Great work on the eyes and getting the Medi mouth in there...there's just something about it that seems off. I don't know if it's the shape or what, but it does look very "puffy" and just doesn't seem to fit the head right. If you're happy with it, though, that's really all that matters.

I appreciate the feedback brother :hi5:

And I totally see what you're saying but in hand it really doesn't look like that. It fits better than the DX12 faceplates and looks more natural. Not to say I'm not going to use the Dx12 faceplates, but this Medi one will will definitely be my go to. I can't seem to get rid of the top edge to go away with the DX12 mouthpieces no matter how much I sand it which it frustrating :lol :mad:

Here are some quick pics from today of my extra DX 12 body and cowl with leftover parts from my main DX 12. Had it out today with my tweaked tyco tumbler for my friends to check out on thanksgiving!

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg
Cape looks awesome man! :clap

Sits pretty nice on the shoulders...maybe I should've kept it?? :lol

Naw, glad you were able to get some use out of it man. It would've stayed in the box if I still had it

Re: HOT TOYS : MMS DX 12 - The Dark Knight Rises - BATMAN / BRUCE WAYNE Full Specs &

Cape looks awesome man! :clap

Sits pretty nice on the shoulders...maybe I should've kept it?? :lol

Naw, glad you were able to get some use out of it man. It would've stayed in the box if I still had it

Thanks again for the cape! I had fun futzing with it the last couple nights haha!

I want to paint the eyelids as well, but after many failed attempts at modding, I'm just gonna have to sit back and enjoy the modding process through you guys. Granted, I modded the dx02 faceplates, and thankfully were successful, but they didn't require steady hands and microscopic vision.

I don't know why jc hong decided to paint the eyes in the same fashion as 89 bats, applying a similar translucency that was evident only with 89 bats, but non existent with Bale bats. With 89, his eyelids were visible and the paint on his eyes weren't jet black, and that's what sold the realism on the toy because it was replicated beautifully. But for bale bats, jc hong, for some strange reason, felt the same effect can be applied on bale...but it was never like that in the films. If anything, you can only see his tear ducts, but that's it.

Everything else is still stellar, but the paint on the eyes was artistic license taken in the wrong direction. I want to paint his eyes, but ugh, after screwing up one of my mark VIs leg (I've since replaced it, now he's whole again), I don't want to do irreversible damage.

Brilliant work Maglor. This is one of those few times where creative liberties taken with screen accuracy is a good compromise for better display potential on the shelf. In this case, completely covering the eyelids and the caruncula (tearduct opening of the eyes) with black paint veers away from the look of Bale's eyes in the actual cowl, but the fact that it creates the illusion of smaller eyes on the figure is a fair trade-off.

And it looks good enough to me that I may just hold off sculpting new lids on mine. That isn't disregarding Rorywan and Gipetto's mods though, those are amazing as well.

Brilliant work Maglor. This is one of those few times where creative liberties taken with screen accuracy is a good compromise for better display potential on the shelf. In this case, completely covering the eyelids and the caruncula (tearduct opening of the eyes) with black paint veers away from the look of Bale's eyes in the actual cowl, but the fact that it creates the illusion of smaller eyes on the figure is a fair trade-off.

As any scale modeler will tell you, sometimes, it's not about total 100% accuracy, but about the illusion. A little shading, here and there, a little paint trick.... :)

And Maglor has done a great job with "the illusion".:wink1:

Damn, Mags. After watching all your mod videos, I gotta give u credit the way u manhandle your figure without damaging it. I'm like SUPER gentle with mine cuz I feel like I might break something or ruin the suit like rubber peeling or stretch marks. I guess I see it as $280 high end figure. I dunno how u do it, but bravo mi amigo. :hi5:

IMG_4477-1.jpg

So in this picture, only the eyelids been painted black? No sculpting mod?

Edit: Sorry, found the answer.

Damn that looks great.

Awesome work Mags! If I send you my DX12 head, will you work your magic for me? :p

Btw, has anyone tried any of the Toys Can Batman mouth pieces? I wonder if the breathing/derpy plate might actually look good with the DX12 head.

I appreciate the feedback brother :hi5:

And I totally see what you're saying but in hand it really doesn't look like that. It fits better than the DX12 faceplates and looks more natural. Not to say I'm not going to use the Dx12 faceplates, but this Medi one will will definitely be my go to. I can't seem to get rid of the top edge to go away with the DX12 mouthpieces no matter how much I sand it which it frustrating :lol :mad:

Yeah, I've learned that in-hand these things look totally different than in pictures mainly due to close-ups magnifying every little thing and making us forget that they're 1/6.

I haven't touched the DX12 faceplates at all in terms of modding, so I'm not sure what you'd have to do to sand 'em down or anything, but I did notice after putting the DX02 faceplate in that the DX12 ones seem drastically undersized...they sculpted them to fit too far into the cowl, giving him the look that he has no chin whatsoever and throwing the entire cowl off.

I just got a delivery notice card for mine. Why do I never learn to just wait it out and order from a Canadian store or Overseas seller willing to fudge the customs slip? $45 charges makes this a $320 toy :gah:

atleast I got $5 eBay bucks :lol

How does it fall off? It is molded onto the gauntlet.....
might just be glued in. my 89 bats blade dropped off also:thud:, hey guys for the ones not experience enough to paint mod dont worry. use pastel paint works fine , mistake just washes off. i done mine with it. am not going swimming with my DX12,, so i dont mind. was easy tooth pick and draw it on :)

Last edited:

FEDEX delivered my Batman this afternoon. I am loving this figure. The eyes are fine. The PERS looks fine to me. No sign of squint eyes!

I will post up some pictures as soon as I get some free time! My wife just gave birth to our 2nd child. So have my hands full for now! :yess:

Bri:panic:

IMG_4477-1.jpg

As good as the painted eyes/new mouth are - it still does not alter how wrong the shape of the cowl is - or the fact it is too small.

Quick question for all the ones who modded the eyes and stuff. I will pay more attention the next time I watch the film, but is his eyes really painted completely black like that? I would think seeing some pink especially closer to his inner eye lids would be more realistic no? I mean would he really paint everything black even right up to his eyeball in real life? Wouldn't that give him an eye infection? :lol

Quick question for all the ones who modded the eyes and stuff. I will pay more attention the next time I watch the film, but is his eyes really painted completely black like that? I would think seeing some pink especially closer to his inner eye lids would be more realistic no? I mean would he really paint everything black even right up to his eyeball in real life? Wouldn't that give him an eye infection? :lol

It is possible to put eyeliner right up to your eye. Girls do it all the time.

It is possible to put eyeliner right up to your eye. Girls do it all the time.

I guess but looking close at stills from the film, it does appear that he has a little pink in that area. Minor for sure but a little. I'm wondering if doing the mod but leaving just a little pink right at that border would be more realistic. It might be that way and because it is mostly covered, the lighting on camera makes it appear all black in most scenes.

I want to paint the eyelids as well, but after many failed attempts at modding, I'm just gonna have to sit back and enjoy the modding process through you guys. Granted, I modded the dx02 faceplates, and thankfully were successful, but they didn't require steady hands and microscopic vision.

SHortly after staring down the path of modifying figures I bought a free-standing magnifying glass from Hobby Lobby. Really helps.

I don't know why jc hong decided to paint the eyes in the same fashion as 89 bats, applying a similar translucency that was evident only with 89 bats, but non existent with Bale bats. With 89, his eyelids were visible and the paint on his eyes weren't jet black, and that's what sold the realism on the toy because it was replicated beautifully. But for bale bats, jc hong, for some strange reason, felt the same effect can be applied on bale...but it was never like that in the films. If anything, you can only see his tear ducts, but that's it.

Everything else is still stellar, but the paint on the eyes was artistic license taken in the wrong direction. I want to paint his eyes, but ugh, after screwing up one of my mark VIs leg (I've since replaced it, now he's whole again), I don't want to do irreversible damage.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Does it though?

Biogl.jpg

Looks black right up to the whites of his eyes.

Damn, Mags. After watching all your mod videos, I gotta give u credit the way u manhandle your figure without damaging it. I'm like SUPER gentle with mine cuz I feel like I might break something or ruin the suit like rubber peeling or stretch marks. I guess I see it as $280 high end figure. I dunno how u do it, but bravo mi amigo. :hi5:

They're tougher than most people think. It's just a matter of knowing the figures week points and understanding where the True Type joints are.

Without "manhandling", good posing and futzing is impossible.

Awesome work Mags! If I send you my DX12 head, will you work your magic for me? :p

Sorry, no commissions. :peace

Would be cool if someone were to offer that tough.

As good as the painted eyes/new mouth are - it still does not alter how wrong the shape of the cowl is - or the fact it is too small.

I actually think it does. The DX02 face plates are longer and give the impression of a larger head in the cowl.

DX02:

IMG_4366.jpg

DX12:

IMG_4369.jpg

Definitely looks smaller with the DX12 face plates to my eye.

I guess but looking close at stills from the film, it does appear that he has a little pink in that area. Minor for sure but a little. I'm wondering if doing the mod but leaving just a little pink right at that border would be more realistic. It might be that way and because it is mostly covered, the lighting on camera makes it appear all black in most scenes.

Bingo .

Back