Hot Toys - MMS 85 - The Spirit - The SPIRIT figure spec and hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dave, what's the material on the jacket like? Standard 1:6 suit material? Reckon it'd stand up to some light fabric lightening treatments? I've just brought one of ebay and want to get it to a grey colour for a secret custom I'm working.

honestly, why did hot toys made them? They could have made The Crow or other popular movies, instead of some new, non popular movie.

Hey Dave, what's the material on the jacket like? Standard 1:6 suit material? Reckon it'd stand up to some light fabric lightening treatments? I've just brought one of ebay and want to get it to a grey colour for a secret custom I'm working.

It's pretty standard, but you'd have to use a lot of dye remover to get it grey probably. Maybe bleach?

It doesnt look too bad but more DCD or at a push Medicom esque than what we're used to from Hot Toys. In summary it looks a meh figure from a meh film. No loss

It's pretty standard, but you'd have to use a lot of dye remover to get it grey probably. Maybe bleach?

How long does it take to stain it? I'd imagine bleach would be quite instantaneous and evil at the same time no? Some bleaches can burn the material?... I've never used any of that though. I do know my mother has wasted the rubber seals around her kitchen sink with that stuff. God I hate the smell of bleach.

How long does it take to stain it? I'd imagine bleach would be quite instantaneous and evil at the same time no? Some bleaches can burn the material?... I've never used any of that though. I do know my mother has wasted the rubber seals around her kitchen sink with that stuff. God I hate the smell of bleach.

Dye remover can damage the material too. I had a brown greatcoat I was trying to turn blue and used dye remover about 3 times, which made it a sickly yellow and then dyed it blue about 4 times to just get a light blue. But there were holes where the material was disintegrating when I was done. The more chemicals you use the more damage it will do.

I'm gonna be the odd person here that actually likes this figure. Well, mostly. I'll admit the skin tone is a tad too pale (it more closely matches the asian TT instead of the caucasian TT. The detail is there, you just can't see it from far away due to the paleness. I may add a wash to the head eventually. I also enjoyed the movie pretty well (I guess I just have weird tastes) I was able to enjoy it for what it was, and got what Miller was trying to do. I will absolutely agree he could have done better, the movie seems like a collection of really cool storyboards or vignettes rather than a very pithy story. I did dislike a few things- I'm not crazy about the cat melting scene (I'm like Hellboy, I love cats) and I didn't like a couple of Miller's design decisions. I was pretty much okay with changing the blue of the costume to black, though I think the shirt should have remained white because the Spirit's costume was not totally monochromatic in the comics. No matter what suit color was intended, his shirt was definitely supposed to be white. I also disliked the use of Chuck Taylors (Converse All-Stars) as his shoes. Makes no sense with dress clothes on a detective-looking character. So, I made a few changes. I actually didn't buy the complete boxed figure, I bought the parted-out pieces I wanted, so I saved a good deal of money, and ended up with a Spirit that meets my requirements. I actually quite like the suit itself and hat, and think the workmanship is pretty good. I have always wanted a figure of The Spirit. Here's a few shots of my results! :D

Spirit07.jpg

Spirit06.jpg

Spirit01.jpg

Love the tie and collar. Thats the neatest I've seen yet for a 1/6 shirt and tie.

Awesome... Figure. Haven't seen the movie yet. Want to. but this jacket is awesome. I hope I can get the fabric lighter... Might take it to a dry cleaner for advice... Don't want to ruin and $20 jacket!

my mother bought if for me for christmas off BBTS for $152.99

That is way too much for it. It is an extremely nice figure, but it doesn't have enough accessories for it to be worth that much. She should have gotten it off ebay for cheaper, but she refuses to buy from ebay.

But it is a very nice figure

Hard to believe both those figures are from the same set. The Octopus looks like a figure from HT. The Spirit looks like a $20 figure from Walmart.

Back