1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'll be... See... there it is. That's the answer. HT did Old Ewan, not Old Ben.

times-snls-celebrity-jeopardy-was-hilariously-per-2-16513-1412813079-12_dblbig.jpg

I think maybe the reason some people like the sculpt is they are seeing an old Ewan in the face... and they like that.

Trevor's sculpt is still the best, caricature elements or not. It immediately identifiable, even stripped naked. And I know.

I agree 100%. Trevor's sculpt captured Sir Alec Guiness likeness. The Hot Toys sculpt unfortunately didn't. That pic from Talibane really explains it perfectly. (No, not the pic above of Sean Connery...) :rotfl

Did anyone put the SS inner robes on this figure? Curious to see some pics to see if it’s worth it.

tbh, I think the best inner robe is the hasbro one. The fabric seems to work better than the Sideshow one, though it is a bit too white. I like how the Hasbro one feels - the weave on the SSC is a touch too coarse, but it still looks decent. The HT one is like a lady's bathrobe and seems throwaway to me. You can see the SSC vs Hasbro in my pic - even the sew on the "V" looks better on the Hasbro.

As seen in my pic, a month or two ago I got a beautifully repainted SSC Ben and I've been blown away by the whole figure compared to the HT. Even the outer robes, which I had heard were inferior to the HT ones, I have been really impressed with - to me the SSC hooded robe is better looking than the too-dark brown chamois material that HT used. The SSC belt is obviously bad (swapped that immediately) and the HT boots are better (though you really can't pose him in any way where they are visible to any great degree,) but the SSC fig has become my foreground Ben, and HT Ben is background with hood up for Vader duel.

That is true. From a certain point of view.

(HT bathrobe replaced with Hasbro inner robes.)

prYsfwG.jpg

This may be the best comparison pic I've seen that really shows how much the HT sculpt just looks like a cosplayer. It's a great sculpt... of someone other than Alec Guinness.

tbh, I think the best inner robe is the hasbro one. The fabric seems to work better than the Sideshow one, though it is a bit too white. I like how the Hasbro one feels - the weave on the SSC is a touch too coarse, but it still looks decent. The HT one is like a lady's bathrobe and seems throwaway to me. You can see the SSC vs Hasbro in my pic - even the sew on the "V" looks better on the Hasbro.

As seen in my pic, a month or two ago I got a beautifully repainted SSC Ben and I've been blown away by the whole figure compared to the HT. Even the outer robes, which I had heard were inferior to the HT ones, I have been really impressed with - to me the SSC hooded robe is better looking than the too-dark brown chamois material that HT used. The SSC belt is obviously bad (swapped that immediately) and the HT boots are better (though you really can't pose him in any way where they are visible to any great degree,) but the SSC fig has become my foreground Ben, and HT Ben is background with hood up for Vader duel.

Interesting, so inexpensive to acquire I might try to check one out. I see a couple versions of the Hasbro Ben—cloak version vs training gear. Make any difference which one?

Interesting, so inexpensive to acquire I might try to check one out. I see a couple versions of the Hasbro Ben—cloak version vs training gear. Make any difference which one?

I think I have an extra to give you - let me check.

This may be the best comparison pic I've seen that really shows how much the HT sculpt just looks like a cosplayer. It's a great sculpt... of someone other than Alec Guinness.

It also might have something to do with the fact that that's a recast HT Ben.

Decide to give TaliBane's recommendation of the Hasbro inner robe a try. The tailoring is a bit wonky but after some futzing to reduce some of the billowing at the bottom (lots of material) I think it looks pretty nice. I'm sure some water treatment would help too. Definitely a more subtle, realistic material than what Hot Toys chose.

fullsizeoutput_2e2b.jpeg

That looks great! Those robes definitely give a loose look like from the movie. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Looks great, TT!

The next thing you can do is unstitch the sleeves (to lengthen) on your Hasbro Luke farmboy tunic and put that on your HT Luke farmboy - improves the overall figure a huge amount. The HT one is too short and not loose enough.

That’s a terrific photo, Matrix!

Like so many others, I have a love/hate relationship with that sculpt. When it was first unveiled, I just couldn’t see Alec at all in it, and I was pretty brutal with my criticism on this forum. Then, I decided I really needed a new Old Ben for my ANH team and got him. That’s when the the love/hate began. It’s such a phenomenal sculpt in its texture and detail, and side by side the ANH crew, there’s no mistaking who this is (Love). But on its own, looking at repaints of the awesome Trevor Grove Sideshow piece, there’s always the sense of what might have been if HT had nailed the likeness along with the great paint job...

Yup. Feel the same way, QGF. I never really saw Guinness to begin with and still don’t most of the time but it’s such a nice sculpt as you said and the character is important enough to me that I’ve never taken it off display. The Jnix sculpt looked closer to Guinness but had issues of its own so I didn’t bite on that one.

Looks great, TT!

The next thing you can do is unstitch the sleeves (to lengthen) on your Hasbro Luke farmboy tunic and put that on your HT Luke farmboy - improves the overall figure a huge amount. The HT one is too short and not loose enough.

Thanks again for the tip. :duff

I actually thought the cut in the front (how it hooks up at the bottom) was totally wrong, or a tailoring issue when I set it up, and then saw this photo and figured it was actually maybe a bit more accurate or at least intended to be that way.

2823932de4d0a5897b7d370cc1c16ecb.jpg

I gave up on Farmboy Luke, figured I could live with better renditions of Luke—have Snowspeeder Luke and plan on grabbing the Jedi Luke as well.

Last edited:
Back