Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UK magazines in 1999 had some toothy, open mouthed Maul covers.
97d545c953885d728d0f775a7688cb84.jpg
c23dffa1ccdeabb1346f823ec1fa9d10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was hoping the final product of the open mouth would look better, but to HT's credit it's pretty much spot-on to production. I don't dig the screaming sculpt at all, just doesn't look right for the character. The reg looks great though, just not sure how much of an upgrade this one is over the Sideshow figure.

I'm digging the "jumping off the speeder bike" pose in that last video review. Might need to take that one as an extreme pose. Good use of the speeder and scream sculpt.

Otherwise a mean closed mouth standard pose in front of the speeder is also good I guess.

I also like that the Speeder Bike can be positioned in the middle or to the back of the stand.

Screenshot 2019-06-18 at 22.58.47.jpg

I'm digging the "jumping off the speeder bike" pose in that last video review. Might need to take that one as an extreme pose. Good use of the speeder and scream sculpt.

Otherwise a mean closed mouth standard pose in front of the speeder is also good I guess.

I also like that the Speeder Bike can be positioned in the middle or to the back of the stand.
That’s the pose I’m going with at the start. Should be quite striking.

For me, I think part of what doesn’t work with the second head is that it implies some sort of sound associated to it, a yell or something to that effect, and that’s not Maul, he only speaks outside of combat, his silent fighting is part of why I love the character. Anyone else, be it Vader or Dooku or Kylo Ren, would have been delivering dialogue during the pause moments in the fight, but Maul just paced staring down Qui-Gon like a predator waiting to pick off prey.

For me, I think part of what doesn’t work with the second head is that it implies some sort of sound associated to it, a yell or something to that effect, and that’s not Maul, he only speaks outside of combat, his silent fighting is part of why I love the character. Anyone else, be it Vader or Dooku or Kylo Ren, would have been delivering dialogue during the pause moments in the fight, but Maul just paced staring down Qui-Gon like a predator waiting to pick off prey.

Yeah. Maul (up until the ill-advised gloating at the end of his duel with Obi Wan) was a silent killing machine, all business. He radiated malevolence but through his body language and his eyes. That's part of what made him such an amazing combatant on-screen.

Given my disdain for the prequels I'm not as concerned about what's true to the character or not. I'm only getting this for the badass character design, so if there's an action pose that seems to work better with that expression I'll have no problem using it.

Given my disdain for the prequels I'm not as concerned about what's true to the character or not. I'm only getting this for the badass character design, so if there's an action pose that seems to work better with that expression I'll have no problem using it.

I compartmentalize like a champ when it comes to the PT. :lecture

Nobody cares about your opinion on the prequels just stick to the discussion about the figure

I see that fierce expression sculpt working well with an action pose dueling with Qui-Gon. ...Maul in the cloak, Jinn in the poncho, reminiscent of the old Hasbro cinema scene figures....

I planned to expose the Speeder in the background and Maul in the foreground but with this base the possibilities seem to be really limited. I can't understand why they don't provide a separate base for the Speeder :(

Yeah. Maul (up until the ill-advised gloating at the end of his duel with Obi Wan) was a silent killing machine, all business. He radiated malevolence but through his body language and his eyes. That's part of what made him such an amazing combatant on-screen.

Exactly, Park made a lot of facial expressions that spoke volumes, makes me glad he and LFL are up for him returning for any appearance in films, he defined the character, as subtle as it is, I still consider him irreplaceable.

Back