Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my Stoney's Stands "Hover Mode" stand the other day, here are some thoughts and pics.

Purchase was easy and shipping quick, just messaged them on Instagram and sent Paypal payment. Here's what came:
20230703_234020.jpg

Opened up, there are two main plates, some instructions and two height options as described.

20230703_234204.jpg

The top part of the stand has cushioned foam to help keep the vehicle in place. There's a warning in the instructions that it can "stick" to the bottom and it's accurate, so when lifting it off you want to make sure you pull the stand off so it doesn't hang and fall.

20230703_234043.jpg

20230703_234353.jpg

I went with the lower height setting considering my setup is already high in the air. I need all the stability I can get.

20230703_234551.jpg

The pieces put together, no tools needed really.

20230703_235238.jpg

Here you can see everything peeled and ready to go. The front of the vehicle goes where the four strips are which should allow the bottom of the Delorean to rest evenly.

20230703_235842.jpg

Note this is NOT a flat placement photo, I am holding the vehicle at an angle to show where it sits on the foam. The second pic shows the flat placement and it seems to hold the Delorean quite snugly.

20230704_001024.jpg

Here it is flat on the padding.

20230704_001052.jpg

Here are some pics. This is NOT a permanent location as I'd like to get it a little closer to the floor. I've made sure the cabinet is attached to the wall and I've got Earthquake/Museum putty holding the stand up so there's as little chance of it falling as possible.

20230704_002306.jpg
20230704_002319.jpg
20230704_002326.jpg

A better pic of the underside. So far, I think this is my only minor gripe with the stand as it covers up the animated green hover mode light. I could potentially remove the foam padding and perhaps get it to show but I'd rather have the extra cushioning than worry about the lights for now. NOTE: It appears the black padding can be removed and 3M "bump-ons" could easily be placed to allow the animated green lights below. I plan to do this.

20230704_002343.jpg

20230704_002403.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with it for what it is. I'd prefer to get a full blown case to cover it but I'd still prefer this height/angle from the Stoney's Stand, so if I can find or make something to cover it, that would be ideal. Even if it ends up being temporary, it feels worth the $70. It's sturdy, came well packaged and looks good. Thanks again for the recommendation @davejames

Last edited:
Yeah I raised that issue with the green sequential lights before ordering, and he assured me they would still be visible. But I guess not so much.

Still though, I do like this look a lot better than the weird plastic supports it came with.

Not such a fan that it covers the green underbody lights. Does it really need all those strips of padding ?

I don't think it needs the padding necessarily, no. I think it would function just fine without it, albeit not quite as snug a fit and relying on gravity, but that's not unusual. Realistically, the stock stand is so precarious (to me) that this hover stand without padding would still be preferred. I'm guessing that's why he left it on, sort of giving us the choice.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we could also just grab some clear 3M bump-ons and use them as cushioning/positioning and ditch the black stuff altogether. Now that I think about it some more, I'll probably do exactly that once I get a better display spot. Overall, a pretty minor issue that I think can be fixed.

Yeah I raised that issue with the green sequential lights before ordering, and he assured me they would still be visible. But I guess not so much.

Still though, I do like this look a lot better than the weird plastic supports it came with.

Good on you for checking. My hunch, as mentioned above, is that he left it that way to cover both sets of people. The glue seemed fairly easy to remove for the black cushioning so I'm pretty confident I could rip it off and place my own padding (or none at all).

Looks great, congrats! I think I am going to take a stab at making a variation of that stand w/o the foam, but integrated to the height variations of the bottom of the car. for stability I would also like to tilt it up and down, maybe even side to side

I don't think it needs the padding necessarily, no. I think it would function just fine without it, albeit not quite as snug a fit and relying on gravity, but that's not unusual. Realistically, the stock stand is so precarious (to me) that this hover stand without padding would still be preferred. I'm guessing that's why he left it on, sort of giving us the choice.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we could also just grab some clear 3M bump-ons and use them as cushioning/positioning and ditch the black stuff altogether. Now that I think about it some more, I'll probably do exactly that once I get a better display spot. Overall, a pretty minor issue that I think can be fixed.
Now that seems like a good idea to me !!

Now that seems like a good idea to me !!
I was thinking of grabbing a few types to see what works best. I've been leaning square, putting function > form with a greater contact patch, but part of me feels the round ones would look better from underneath. Especially with how high I have it displayed at the moment. More on that later.

There aren't a lot of good square versions in decent sizes but I could make something work between the first two pictured. The first are 1.57"(?) squares and the second are 1" squares. The Hover Stand base is 6" deep so if I mimic the split cushioning, the front contact patch is 6"x5" and back is 6"x4" with a variance of ~0.5" available if needed. If I go square, I'd probably blanket it as evenly as possible with either of the two shown, provided they are clear enough to pass the light without warping/artifacts.

Depending on how stiff the big ones are, I'm leaning that direction. If they are too "pillowy" and unstable being so thick, I might drop to the 1" squares which are about half as thick and appear perfectly flat. I feel like sticking 20-30 of these things across the base is less likely to work though. Not only do they all need to stick properly, they need to be clear enough to not warp the light with the harsh angles. On the other hand, that "glass brick" 80's look might look heavy on the Delorean. I might have to try it.

1.JPG
3.jpg
2.JPG

The other option, especially if passing light is an issue, is using 1"-1.5" round bump-ons, leaving as much of the stand unblocked as possible. If the cushioning on the round ones is good enough to pass a shake test, I could do four in total (at the corners) or right, having two sets of four (front/back). I suppose I'll have to test all of this but I'm open to other ideas.

4.jpg

I was thinking of grabbing a few types to see what works best. I've been leaning square, putting function > form with a greater contact patch, but part of me feels the round ones would look better from underneath. Especially with how high I have it displayed at the moment. More on that later.

There aren't a lot of good square versions in decent sizes but I could make something work between the first two pictured. The first are 1.57"(?) squares and the second are 1" squares. The Hover Stand base is 6" deep so if I mimic the split cushioning, the front contact patch is 6"x5" and back is 6"x4" with a variance of ~0.5" available if needed. If I go square, I'd probably blanket it as evenly as possible with either of the two shown, provided they are clear enough to pass the light without warping/artifacts.

Depending on how stiff the big ones are, I'm leaning that direction. If they are too "pillowy" and unstable being so thick, I might drop to the 1" squares which are about half as thick and appear perfectly flat. I feel like sticking 20-30 of these things across the base is less likely to work though. Not only do they all need to stick properly, they need to be clear enough to not warp the light with the harsh angles. On the other hand, that "glass brick" 80's look might look heavy on the Delorean. I might have to try it.

View attachment 649799View attachment 649801View attachment 649800

The other option, especially if passing light is an issue, is using 1"-1.5" round bump-ons, leaving as much of the stand unblocked as possible. If the cushioning on the round ones is good enough to pass a shake test, I could do four in total (at the corners) or right, having two sets of four (front/back). I suppose I'll have to test all of this but I'm open to other ideas.

View attachment 649802
I reckon the smaller round ones will be the better option. Like a car hoist, just contact at 4 extremities.

This get's around any objects on the underside lying unevenly on the big flat square pads. Small and round also allows unobstructed viewing of the lights etc.

Does anybody know if the second batch of these things turn on by itself if it's plugged in and switched on? The first batch you still needed to turn on the vehicle itself each time. I like it when all of my collectibles light up simultaneously

Anyone notice slight imperfections in the paint on theirs? Mine has slight rub marks on the fenders, hard to tell unless you’re shining a light on it.
I had one on the rear bumper and not the fender but it was pretty minor. I could probably hide it if need be.

Man, that's a bummer...especially because that light is probably something super simple like a crimped/loose wire (at least given what I saw on mine). As easy as it probably is to repair, I don't blame you for asking for a replacement. Not worth the risk of opening it up and it should be fully working from the factory as it is. Hope they are quick with it! Do let us know how the replacement goes.
Got my replacement Delorean, today. All appears to be good, this time. Although, when I opened the box and lifted off the top styrofoam tray, I saw that the hood was loose, and laying on top of the windshield. But, it wasn't broken, the pegs just came out of the slots. Not sure how that happened, but it did scare me. Anyway, the wheels folded down perfectly, the electronics worked flawlessly, the seats are firmly glued in place, and I didn't see any damage to the exterior.

So, looks like the 2nd time was the charm. I'm very thankful. I love this vehicle. Can't wait to display it, someday, when I can make room for it. LOL.

Unfortunately a replacement isn't on the cards for me so I have to live with it I guess.

Has anybody tried gluing these back? What's the best way to go about reattaching them? 😓

Screenshot_2023-07-26-15-08-41-64_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

I contacted Sideshow and I'm SOL returning my 1st batch delorean even tho its still all new in packaging. I still can't believe they modded the wheel issue on the second batch without saying a word and refuse to address the fact that they gave so many people a defective/broken product. Do the modded wheels hold up better this time around? I'm happy for those of you that lucked out.

I contacted Sideshow and I'm SOL returning my 1st batch delorean even tho its still all new in packaging. I still can't believe they modded the wheel issue on the second batch without saying a word and refuse to address the fact that they gave so many people a defective/broken product. Do the modded wheels hold up better this time around? I'm happy for those of you that lucked out.
Out of curiosity, is the reasoning that yours is technically "not damaged" that they won't change it? If you were to say, open it and perhaps not be so careful with the wheels...

Just wanted to share a cheap alternative for a stand in flight mode. These are just basic acrylic risers that come in a 3 pack off amazon will run you about 10 bucks. Imo they look great and truly make the car look like its floating as they almost disappear
20230725_201202.jpg

Attachments

• 20230725_201111.jpg
    20230725_201111.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back